🔧 BUILD LAME Turbo V6 Camaro

General Information

Hello! Welcome to the shit show! I am updating this post in 2021 to explain what new readers are about to witness. If I knew that this thread and build were going to explode into what it is today, I would have started it out a lot different.

This car was (and still is) a basket case. The whole inspiration for starting this project was to start learning how to modify engines in a car that I didn't like. That way, if and when I screwed up, I wouldn't be ruining a nice car. It spiraled out of control from the first moment that I felt boost. I loved what I had created, but it took a ton of work to get to where I was. As soon as I got the car running nicely I was always saying "I'm going to fix______, and THEN I'll just enjoy driving it." You know the drill. Drive, break, fix, repeat! Before I knew it, I enjoyed driving and working on this turd more than the nice car I was trying to preserve!

The point is that the focus of this thread shifts A LOT. To complicate matters, I never have just one ongoing project open at a time. I listed some thread contents with links below. I will update this as new milestones or big updates happen. Just know that even if you click on the shortcut, you may have to scroll past other project posts to reveal the outcome. There are also some mini-projects and very helpful advice from other members in between, so read the whole dang thing if you want!

2018-2019
1. A late introduction
2. Discovering how a PCV works (and plugging it)
3. Custom grill for intercooler
4. Fuel pump trap door
5. Learning that I'll never learn anything from my goofy wide band gauge
6. Deleting AC completely, but retaining heat
7. Low profile heater hose fittings
8. Deleting an air bag without setting a light on the dash
9. Starting a second round of floor repairs
10. ABS delete and line lock installation
- A separate thread for the electrons
11. Installing catch cans with nice brackets (Way overkill)
12. Figuring out the "blow by" problem once and for all (F-body intake plug)
13. Second clutch job, first rear cover job, and preliminary transmission swap research
14. Floors are "done", and Interior is installed.
15. I don't know how to tune, but this wide band might help.
16. Poly trans mount. Yeah, it actually deserves a link.
17. I waved the tuning white flag. Dyno Brian sets me straight!
18. T5 Pro5.0 shifter
19. New shifter was too much fun. OG T5 explodes, and my transmission conversion ideas start to get serious.
-TKX conversion
-TKX swap official write-up
20. Reconfiguring my exhaust for a quieter and less leaky future
21. I'm not done enjoying this car for the year, so I install a $100 T5 instead of a bulletproof conversion. SPOILER ALERT: It only lasts two months.
22. Minor repairs/updates that make the car livable (lighting, stereo, speedometer re-zero, and a clutch master cylinder that actually does it's job!)
23. Wheels and addressing rust again since I got time!
24. Custom center caps
25. 1.9 roller rockers and LS6 springs
26. CAI V2.0
27. TKX is delayed so it's time to address the little annoyances.
-OE pan is junk. Dorman pan gets hot rodded
28. TKX is still delayed, so I install just one poly engine mount and beef up my flimsy turbo drain plumbing
29. TKX does NOT ship the following Monday. Flywheel bolts upgraded to ARP M10 x 1.0
30. When you're on a Chinese garbage budget, you better be ready to work harder. (Oil drain fitting hot rodding)
31. Finally repairing the oil sender pig tail, replacing the other engine mount, and test fitting the TKX.
32. Finally addressing rear brake lines while I wait for more transmission parts.
33. Modifying an ICM for a WOT box
34. Dash gets re-instrumented so that diagnostics become possible.
35. N2MB WOT box
36. Porked crank key. PSA: Be careful installing your balancer!
37. Car runs great after plug change, but the rear main seal needs to be changed again.
38. BURNOUT! Also, I kinda bought a cam.
39. Turbo drain finale (better be) and full exhaust commenced
40. Downpipe V3 and BMR strut tower brace
41. Panhard bar and relocation for bro truck exhaust
42. Muffler, driveshaft, torque arm, and giving up smoking.
43. First trip to the GS Nationals (feat. time slip)
44. The very custom AC project is born
45. New dyno results (up 50 hp!)
46. Exhaust hanger repair before Michigan/S.S. Badger/Wisconsin trip
47. Sizing a better turbo
48. Painting but still not installing the IS3 heads and Monster clutch unboxing
49. Firewall brace
50. New ECM
51. Out of storage and SC engine buy failure #3
52. Modified double roller and spitballing crankcase evac ideas
53. Completing the rear suspension. UMI rear control arms.
54. Cracked headers and L32 swap begins
55. My newest L32 was trash. I'm upgrading the L36 instead
56. Side project: The ultimate-ish intake manifold takes shape

Now back to 2018!
1688935182526.png

Now that this car is running and driving, I figured I would start a thread dedicated to all the questions I’m about to pummel this group with. This is the first time I've really built anything to move quicker than stock, so I'm hoping to learn a lot from you guys before I make unnecessary mistakes. I also have a thread in the Turbobuick.com 3800 section, but I'm not getting as much input there due to a lack of audience. Here goes nothing...

The car I have is a 2002 Camaro with only ONE factory option (rear window defogger). The story supposedly goes that my buddy's dad was looking forever for a new Camaro because he never buys anything for a penny more than the best deal. He almost ran out of time as this was the final model year for the F-body, and '03s were already on the market. The dealer from which he found this car bought it for the sole purpose of being able to advertise "Brand new Camaros for under $10k", so this was the one he took home.

Fast forward to 2018. The car was structurally a wreck from living in the rust belt, but has a great interior, okay black paint, a third pedal, a 3800 (which is a plus in my book), and a lot of sentimental value since I remember riding in it when it was brand new. My buddy’s dad handed me the keys in hopes that I would enjoy it and make it a race car. To be honest, I don’t care for F-bodies, but I couldn't resist this one for the reasons above despite knowing that the floors were in desperate need of existing again.

I already had my dream car which is a 1986 Buick Regal Grand National. As much as I love that car, I like it the way it is in fairly stock form and modifying Buicks has gotten terribly expensive anyway. I figured a black 3800 Camaro could easily fulfill my childhood dreams of racing a badass turbo Buick V6 car while being on a budget, so here I am.

The car is now equipped with:
-6765 ebay turbo
-Precision PW40 wastegate
-Custom turbo exhaust utilizing a stock Camaro and FWD manifolds
-Air to air ebay intercooler
-AEM 50-1200 fuel pump
-Siemens Deka 80# fuel injectors
-Open 3” downpipe
-Custom 3” charge pipes
-Intense mail order tune
-Very ugly but functional upright radiator conversion (the core support was all just rust anyway) :dunno:
-Custom space saving AC delete without bypass pulley
-Midwest Chassis bumper support modified to mount my intercooler
-Spec Stage 1 clutch kit

The car is far from refined and has a lot of little issues to sort out, but I will leave the first post as sort of an introduction to that. I hope you enjoy hearing about it. It’s been fun to build!

Cgge0Pb.jpg

uapwiw2.jpg

08tL6Rj.jpg

7zXNhuZ.jpg

PVLQyzg.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Lord have MERCY! I finally found exactly what I was looking for all along.
That'll do. The trick then will be finding somebody who can actually crimp AC stuff. I think the hose and fitting store by work has the right tools. It looks to me like Cold Hose can make just about anything I want, so I should be set on fittings!

Reactions: sktchy

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I knew about those and was considering going that way, but I couldn't get any information about fitting sizes. There's a bunch of different versions of these kits for different applications yet I can't get any real information from them. It's looking like -6 is a pretty standard liquid line size, but I don't want to assume anything. My evaporator fittings looked pretty bastard sized when I measured.

That swage fitting is goofy too. Idk how I would adapt it unless I was going to try cutting up a stock line from something else. That's not out of the question, but at that point I shouldn't need the repair kit.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Finally some slightly motivating progress
1657413082815.png

I failed to figure in the thickness of the plate and how far it sits out from the flange of the HVAC box which is awesome! That means the evaporator will have an even lower profile! Two rows hidden and only one exposed!
1657413192232.png

I can't talk about the roses without mentioning the thorns though. The ebay HVAC delete plates USED to be very nice and thick. IDK wtf happened in their process, but I knew I was in trouble when I started reading the directions. TLDR: "Our product is shit and won't fit right. We aren't going to tell you that though. Use smaller bolts and nuts during installation which are not provided." :cautious: I know this part is not intended for how I'm using it, but damn! I could have made this better myself with a jigsaw, drill, and tape measure.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Indy Motor Speedway hosts a C&C inside the track, and it's glorious.
1657800519388.png

1657800583594.png

1657800726209.png

Ever heard of a Grand LeMans with a factory big block? Me neither.
1657800735236.png

1657800745748.png

1657800757632.png

1966 442 ?
1657800773898.png

Factory triple black LS6 4-speed Chevelle
1657800820810.png

1657800981538.png

Lancia Scorpion
1657801022839.png

1657801032326.png

RB28TT Datsun
1657801066626.png

Mintiest Probe in existence
1657801102067.png

90s Taco Bell
1657801118609.png

All-Trac
1657801142433.png

Volare
1657801162077.png

1657801174324.png

Brat!!!
1657801193122.png

1657801278131.png

1657801210300.png

I see this Capri everywhere. It's gorgeous.
1657801245706.png

Prelude flexin that 4ws
1657801306901.png

????
1657801324529.png

1657801337895.png

NEAT! Model A with an SVO swap.
1657801389484.png

1657801403487.png

1657801619334.png

1657801633369.png

1657801643830.png

1657801655779.png

1929 Cord
1657801675941.png

1657801684597.png

1657801696272.png

Beefy half leafs!
1657801757152.png

Seemingly impossible 32V swap in a 1st gen Mustang! Original shock towers obviously had to go.
1657801809189.png

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Time to go
1657801894517.png

1657801904009.png

It was a cool trip and I love driving my car around. I also don't know what to do with all my newfound free time! Since forcing myself to stop taking my car apart, I got bored and lazy. At the same time, I really didn't want to take anything apart again. Getting a truck to replace my daily driver was also proving to be way too expensive. Instead of just continuing to be patient, the idea of dumping my Volvo in favor of a minty PAU or Electra T-type popped into my head. Despite a big Buick having more interior space, better fuel mileage, and running on cheaper gas, I couldn't imagine that swapping a ten year old daily that I know everything about for an unknown 20 year old car is a good move. It's an even dumber move when I consider that I don't want to work on anything right now. lol

Getting another potential project as a daily has never worked out well for me, so I needed a way to get myself motivated on my current stuff again. I went to marketplace and typed in "3800" to see what I would find. I figured in the 1/1,000,000 chance that I find a nice set of heads I'd have a complete set of neat stuff to install for my cam swap.

Well what do you fuckin' know.... FIRST AD ON THE TOP is a Grand Prix part out with IS3 heads. $750. Brand new, those are $1900 with a month-long lead time. :oops:

The kicker is that they're in Pittsburgh, he's not shipping, and he's not even removing them himself. Given my horrible luck with marketplace, I was not liking the circumstances AT ALL. At the same time, I wasn't not letting a deal like this fall through. It was a hell of an adventure, but a huge lucky success. I was able to leave my house at 11:30 (left as soon as the counter tops were done being installed in my kitchen), get to Pittsburgh with virtually no traffic by 5:15, remove the IS3 heads with the whole car still mostly together in the guy's gravel driveway, seal the deal including a set of ARP studs, port match blower intake, modular GenV, W-body adjustable strut brace, and some other little shit before by 7:00, and get home before 1:00AM. I even managed to get to work on time today. I'm sore AF, but this was so worth it. This trip almost deserves it's own thread, because it was a roller coaster full of dumb luck!
1657807031159.png

If anybody want's a W-body strut tower brace, let me know. I'll give you a great deal. The guy really wanted me to have that for some reason.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Also not adding a whole lot of value to the thread, but I had some new thoughts regarding the direction I want to take with this car.

Let me start by saying that nothing about my immediate plans are changing. The IS3 heads, cam, and supporting parts are going on the car and that will be it before taking it to Brian for more dyno time. I will probably try to gasket match my LIM and exhaust manifolds, plug the intake bungs, smooth those out internally, and run fuel logs or an SC rail. That will be it, and hopefully it's enough to get me dang close if not beyond my 600hp. I'm betting the 80s and fuel max out earlier though.

I have a feeling this won't satisfy my desires as a street driven toy though. One thing that my heart desires is that snappy big block block response. This car is so lame around town and when I'm cruising. With a manual it takes forever to get into boost, so unless I have a wide open road and I'm really itching to spend a night in jail, the car never really gets into boost. I noticed that I really don't drive this car to work because the lack of comfort in shitty F-body seats and no AC doesn't get outweighed by the power numbers that I never get to feel. The power is so non-linear that every practical drive is not much different than driving a stock V6 car with loud exhaust everywhere.

While I understand that a V6 will never feel like a big block, something has to change. Peak power is cool. We all like numbers, but for people don't race much or ever it's kind of worthless. The WOT box will help get off the line, but I'm not going to be cutting ignition at every stop light. lol I'm not a nitrous fan either. I already have to fill a fuel tank, I'm not filling bottles. I want something that's just going to be there all the time, so why not a blower?

Compound charging seems to be a very hot debate. Those who have done it right seem to love it. Others say its a big waste of time and money because it just robs you of the top end power that a turbo makes all on it's own. I see it both ways, although it's hard for me to form an opinion since I've never felt the supposed seamless transition from instant SC torque to high hp turbo boost. It may not be a big block, but I imagine that the feeling is decently replicated when you stand on the throttle.

Zeph was offering to take in one of my blower cases for an experimental machining project. He would hog out the recirculation valve passage and replace the valve with throttle blades. This should help at least with the crazy IAT problems associated with compounding. I just don't know if the compounding effects will be noticeably positive enough to justify building a very custom M90.

This is all kind of just babbling because I'm still a long way away from finishing the AC project, cutting the core support off the car, replacing the radiator and fans, and even starting just the heads/cam swap. I will almost certainly need to get a rear end before then which will have a 3.73 in it. At that point I may not even care about the boost issue anymore, so I guess I'm just trying to start a fight. :ROFLMAO: Most of the racers say to keep it simple and go faster. I'm not a racer though. The couple twin charged guys with "just fun" street cars like mine are like "Hell yeah. Do it. You'll love it." I also haven't ridden in their cars, so maybe I would be unimpressed? Then again, if they're saying that while sporting an automatic, I imagine the effect will be felt even more in my stick car.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I was going to say twin charge it before I could read fast enough.

A local guy here just manual swapped his grand Prix and it's twin charged. It's definitely the way to go, especially if you don't care about peak power.
NGL. I know you're the M90 man, but I really didn't expect you to be on the twin charge train. NEAT. Good to know. I really wish I could ride in it because that sounds awesome.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
NGL. I know you're the M90 man, but I really didn't expect you to be on the twin charge train. NEAT. Good to know. I really wish I could ride in it because that sounds awesome.
I really hate m90's. I just don't have the money to build a record breaking turbo car.

Fly into Lincoln, and I'm sure he would give you a ride. He's offered to let me drive it.

Reactions: v6buicks

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
If you want to get wild there are other blowers out there too that could be a better fit than the M90. Not sure how they'd fit under the windshield hood thing the f-body has though.
If you can weld aluminum you could add a port to the LIM and use a very large couple of wastegates as a better flowing BBV or use an electronic throttle body too. That was an idea I had when I was looking at the compound-ish route but it was more work than I wanted to do since I rarely drive my car enough for it to bother me.

I absolutely love getting through traffic in my 3.4 pulley Regal though. It's not as fast as my GP but the throttle response is instantaneous in comparison

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Twin charging is looking more and more enticing now. Maybe I won't wait to make that change. Heads, cam, blower, and fuel system upgrades all in one shot.

I'm trying to not get too excited though. I still really want AC first. I think I finished all the plastic welding today. I still need to trim the recirc valve, but that won't be hard.
PXL_20220717_194706616.jpg

PXL_20220717_195036022.jpg

PXL_20220717_201636423.jpg

PXL_20220717_203701897.jpg

PXL_20220717_203713578.jpg

As usual it's not pretty, but it'll do! The evaporator still fits perfectly too. ? I'm probably going to trim the recirculation valve next so that I can be done with plastic. Then I'll move on to fiberglass.

I never really considered this until just now. I wonder if I could just make the custom evaporator bump out of plastic. It would be super easy. I just need to find enough heat resistant plastic and a way to insulate it from the exhaust. Google time.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'm excited about the AC.... but I can't stop thinking about blowers. :ROFLMAO:

I'm really hung up on a couple things. One is BBV operation. This isn't nearly as critical unless you're bosting the blower inlet, so getting solid information on this is tough. I talked to a one guy who has a 10 second twin charged GTP in Alberta. It put a couple things into perspective. 1). Twin charging is an awful bang for buck if racing is your only goal. Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed as hell with the fact that his boost gauge goes from 0-40 in under a second. :oops: However, I don't see that need for that at the track. 40psi = 10 sec 1/4 mile? Hmmm. Something's clearly dragging it down! On the other hand, I love this dyno graph. o_O
1658144000874.png

jeeeeez. I can only imagine how much higher those numbers would be with a turbo only.

Anyway, The other thing I kinda figured out is that the BBV doesn't really need to be as complicated as GM made it.
1658144119847.png

This looks pretty smart to me. A wastegate actuator in place of the stock actuator gives you a spring instead of a vacuum reference port. If I wanted, I could get an adjustable unit for fine tuning too. The only kicker with this is that the BBV stays closed during idle. In the end, the IAC/throttle is only going to allow so much air in, but you may be introducing a lot of unwanted heat. I'm sure those IATs would be lovely after a long stint in traffic. I'm not sure how anyone would go about opening a wastegate at idle either. Ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Speaking of heat, I have another issue. In an F-body that still has a cowl there really isn't room for an intercooler sandwich plate. A short stack might fit, but I think it would be impossible to put the bolts in. I also wonder if a W2A is entirely necessary in this case. My thinking is that the blower is only there to provide a few psi while the turbo spools up and takes over. Will E85 be enough cooling to until the intercooled turbo kicks in and the BBV opens? If not, will meth injection do the trick? Can it be sprayed into the blower or is that bad? Spraying under the blower sounds more doable than an intercooler, but still a bit tricky.

This stuff is complicated but I love it.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I'm excited about the AC.... but I can't stop thinking about blowers. :ROFLMAO:

I'm really hung up on a couple things. One is BBV operation. This isn't nearly as critical unless you're bosting the blower inlet, so getting solid information on this is tough. I talked to a one guy who has a 10 second twin charged GTP in Fla. It put a couple things into perspective. 1). Twin charging is an awful bang for buck if racing is your only goal. Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed as hell with the fact that his boost gauge goes from 0-40 in under a second. :oops: However, I don't see that need for that at the track. 40psi = 10 sec 1/4 mile? Hmmm. Something's clearly dragging it down! On the other hand, I love this dyno graph. o_O
View attachment 126406
jeeeeez. I can only imagine how much higher those numbers would be with a turbo only.

Anyway, The other thing I kinda figured out is that the BBV doesn't really need to be as complicated as GM made it.
View attachment 126407
This looks pretty smart to me. A wastegate actuator in place of the stock actuator gives you a spring instead of a vacuum reference port. If I wanted, I could get an adjustable unit for fine tuning too. The only kicker with this is that the BBV stays closed during idle. In the end, the IAC/throttle is only going to allow so much air in, but you may be introducing a lot of unwanted heat. I'm sure those IATs would be lovely after a long stint in traffic. I'm not sure how anyone would go about opening a wastegate at idle either. Ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Speaking of heat, I have another issue. In an F-body that still has a cowl there really isn't room for an intercooler sandwich plate. A short stack might fit, but I think it would be impossible to put the bolts in. I also wonder if a W2A is entirely necessary in this case. My thinking is that the blower is only there to provide a few psi while the turbo spools up and takes over. Will E85 be enough cooling to until the intercooled turbo kicks in and the BBV opens? If not, will meth injection do the trick? Can it be sprayed into the blower or is that bad? Spraying under the blower sounds more doable than an intercooler, but still a bit tricky.

This stuff is complicated but I love it.

There was a thread on the turbo forums about twin charging the result was most people saw boost about 500 rpm earlier from what I remember.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
There was a thread on the turbo forums about twin charging the result was most people saw boost about 500 rpm earlier from what I remember.
From what I'm reading that seems to be about right if you maintain the stock BBV solenoid logic. Most people seem to leave it alone and let the boost compound (not good). If 500rpm is as good as it gets, I'd quickly reconsider the whole thing. I think we can do better though. Blowers should be immediate satisfaction!

Edit: Like full boost or any boost? I could definitely see full boost coming in just a tad earlier.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
John's car is an interesting one. It has some issues, and I think he broke the transmission. So it should be faster and probably will if he gets it back together. I thought he was in Canada?

If you run the stock bypass, I would keep a stock pulley on it, or a 3.4. that would allow no problems without an intercooler. Also, they seem to have a tendency to compound with small pulleys, so that would help avoid that.

If I was going to supercharge a fbody, I would try to get something like this to work. They are tvs1900's and cheap!

Reactions: sktchy and v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
John's car is an interesting one. It has some issues, and I think he broke the transmission. So it should be faster and probably will if he gets it back together. I thought he was in Canada?

If you run the stock bypass, I would keep a stock pulley on it, or a 3.4. that would allow no problems without an intercooler. Also, they seem to have a tendency to compound with small pulleys, so that would help avoid that.

If I was going to supercharge a fbody, I would try to get something like this to work. They are tvs1900's and cheap!
Yep. Edited. He's from Alberta.

Shoooot. That would be cool, but dang. That would be a ton more work than I'm interested in taking on. The forward facing throttle is nice, but the snout is on the wrong side. After the adapter plate needed to make it work at all, I would probably need to move my alternator and cut my cowl. Since I don't need the crazy amounts of air for high rpm, I'm thinking an M90 with a smallish pulley should be okay.

If I do this, I'm not running the stock bypass. I'm starting to get a grasp on why so many people have issues with twin charging, and the tiny BBV allowing for compounding and stupid high IAT seems to be a big part of it. Tyler Bloch was able to hog his bore out enough to fit an Ecotec throttle body in there. It's very crude as of right now, but he proved the concept with very limited tools. I'm excited to try something myself or even let Zeph give it go if he finds time. I just haven't figured out how to control it yet.

Reactions: GTPpower

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Some moretherfucking turbo encabulator action going on in here.

If you're building an adapter plate, just fit a flange in there for the TB and eliminate the stocker (or hell, keep it for high vacuum) Is there anywhere on the stock intake you could just punch a hole in and weld a tube/flange up? Your'e going to have to mod an M90 pretty heavily to get it to work anyways.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Some moretherfucking turbo encabulator action going on in here.

If you're building an adapter plate, just fit a flange in there for the TB and eliminate the stocker (or hell, keep it for high vacuum) Is there anywhere on the stock intake you could just punch a hole in and weld a tube/flange up? Your'e going to have to mod an M90 pretty heavily to get it to work anyways.
That was an idea I thought of doing too. Part of the problem is that I really don't want to use any sort of adapter plate or intercooler. I don't have the space under my cowl. I was hoping it would be simple to punch a hole in the back of the LIM and route it externally like you're getting at, but that's where all the coolant flows to the thermostat. It could still be done, but I think you would be left with a hole that flows less or equal to the amount of the stock valve. Running the stock valve plus the custom external would probably be enough, but that too would be some very complicated fab work.

It's not out of the question! I might be able to relocate the coolant and thermostat to a better location too!

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I'm guessing you're talking along the lines of boring the stocker out then and adding a different butterfly? Would be curious how much meat is there, but I'd sublet the actual job of that to someone with a Bridgeport. It wouldn't be horridly difficult for them to locate it then it it with a boring bar.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Oh man was I excited to take a look at this, and I'm even more excited to do some experiments now that I have!

I don't think I can move the water outlet to the front. That's the only negative I can see so far. The FWD LIMs had their water passages cast a little differently. By the time I fixed that, a FGT adapter to the F-body intake would have been a lot easier. lol The bump running down the middle is a log where coolant flows back from the heater elbow and the cylinder heads. I can't get a great picture of it, but take my word for it when I say that there's no way to make enough coolant flow out the front of an SC LIM.
1658194965113.png

Not all hope is lost though. You know those bumps on the back of the intake held on with two bolts? Fun fact: ALL coolant to the radiator flows through that little thing. It's kind of shocking that it's enough. In the picture below, you can see the coolant passage from the rest of the engine on the right and the port to the thermostat on the left. This is a relatively common thing to hog out and allow for more flow. Necessary? Not for most people. Does it hurt? I can't see why it would.
1658194134204.png

...back on topic. Why is this relevant? Well, this goofy bolt-on crossover finally makes sense. GM definitely made that so degenerate hotrodders like myself can delete that shit. Check it out. If I remove the water crossover, weld the passage shut, cut a big hole in the adjacent side, weld a pipe onto THAT hole, and run a remote thermostat over the blower (ugly but functional) I can do away with the factory thermostat.
1.jpg

To do this, you would need to block the throttle body water ports, but that's a given right?! NOW with the original thermostat housing and water neck completely bypassed and useless, that whole little corner of the intake manifold can be chopped off. There will still be a wall separating the plenum area from the ex-coolant passage that when knocked out should be a big enough area to redirect quite a bit more air from the turbo to the LIM.
2.jpg

OMG

The excitement is building. This shit could work. The icing on the cake is that I shouldn't need to do anything special to the original BBV. I can still port the outlet, but hogging the hole for bigger blades would be a massive undertaking. I'm not trying to underestimate the undertaking of all this cast aluminum welding, but it's at least something I'm a little more comfortable with. I also think there's an extra advantage. Controlling it should be super easy. I think the original BBV can function like stock with an open idle. The remote custom BBV can operate on a wastegate actuator and open only when all the air needs a new path.

Good thing I have a Gen 3 intake that I won't feel bad chopping up for experimentation purposes! I also have a coffee table I can use for mock-up. This project honeymooning phase is always so much fun. ? Execution is probably cursed now. ?

1658196630535.png

Reactions: bs009 and GTPpower

Thread Info