🔧 BUILD LAME Turbo V6 Camaro

General Information

Hello! Welcome to the shit show! I am updating this post in 2021 to explain what new readers are about to witness. If I knew that this thread and build were going to explode into what it is today, I would have started it out a lot different.

This car was (and still is) a basket case. The whole inspiration for starting this project was to start learning how to modify engines in a car that I didn't like. That way, if and when I screwed up, I wouldn't be ruining a nice car. It spiraled out of control from the first moment that I felt boost. I loved what I had created, but it took a ton of work to get to where I was. As soon as I got the car running nicely I was always saying "I'm going to fix______, and THEN I'll just enjoy driving it." You know the drill. Drive, break, fix, repeat! Before I knew it, I enjoyed driving and working on this turd more than the nice car I was trying to preserve!

The point is that the focus of this thread shifts A LOT. To complicate matters, I never have just one ongoing project open at a time. I listed some thread contents with links below. I will update this as new milestones or big updates happen. Just know that even if you click on the shortcut, you may have to scroll past other project posts to reveal the outcome. There are also some mini-projects and very helpful advice from other members in between, so read the whole dang thing if you want!

2018-2019
1. A late introduction
2. Discovering how a PCV works (and plugging it)
3. Custom grill for intercooler
4. Fuel pump trap door
5. Learning that I'll never learn anything from my goofy wide band gauge
6. Deleting AC completely, but retaining heat
7. Low profile heater hose fittings
8. Deleting an air bag without setting a light on the dash
9. Starting a second round of floor repairs
10. ABS delete and line lock installation
- A separate thread for the electrons
11. Installing catch cans with nice brackets (Way overkill)
12. Figuring out the "blow by" problem once and for all (F-body intake plug)
13. Second clutch job, first rear cover job, and preliminary transmission swap research
14. Floors are "done", and Interior is installed.
15. I don't know how to tune, but this wide band might help.
16. Poly trans mount. Yeah, it actually deserves a link.
17. I waved the tuning white flag. Dyno Brian sets me straight!
18. T5 Pro5.0 shifter
19. New shifter was too much fun. OG T5 explodes, and my transmission conversion ideas start to get serious.
-TKX conversion
-TKX swap official write-up
20. Reconfiguring my exhaust for a quieter and less leaky future
21. I'm not done enjoying this car for the year, so I install a $100 T5 instead of a bulletproof conversion. SPOILER ALERT: It only lasts two months.
22. Minor repairs/updates that make the car livable (lighting, stereo, speedometer re-zero, and a clutch master cylinder that actually does it's job!)
23. Wheels and addressing rust again since I got time!
24. Custom center caps
25. 1.9 roller rockers and LS6 springs
26. CAI V2.0
27. TKX is delayed so it's time to address the little annoyances.
-OE pan is junk. Dorman pan gets hot rodded
28. TKX is still delayed, so I install just one poly engine mount and beef up my flimsy turbo drain plumbing
29. TKX does NOT ship the following Monday. Flywheel bolts upgraded to ARP M10 x 1.0
30. When you're on a Chinese garbage budget, you better be ready to work harder. (Oil drain fitting hot rodding)
31. Finally repairing the oil sender pig tail, replacing the other engine mount, and test fitting the TKX.
32. Finally addressing rear brake lines while I wait for more transmission parts.
33. Modifying an ICM for a WOT box
34. Dash gets re-instrumented so that diagnostics become possible.
35. N2MB WOT box
36. Porked crank key. PSA: Be careful installing your balancer!
37. Car runs great after plug change, but the rear main seal needs to be changed again.
38. BURNOUT! Also, I kinda bought a cam.
39. Turbo drain finale (better be) and full exhaust commenced
40. Downpipe V3 and BMR strut tower brace
41. Panhard bar and relocation for bro truck exhaust
42. Muffler, driveshaft, torque arm, and giving up smoking.
43. First trip to the GS Nationals (feat. time slip)
44. The very custom AC project is born
45. New dyno results (up 50 hp!)
46. Exhaust hanger repair before Michigan/S.S. Badger/Wisconsin trip
47. Sizing a better turbo
48. Painting but still not installing the IS3 heads and Monster clutch unboxing
49. Firewall brace
50. New ECM
51. Out of storage and SC engine buy failure #3
52. Modified double roller and spitballing crankcase evac ideas
53. Completing the rear suspension. UMI rear control arms.
54. Cracked headers and L32 swap begins
55. My newest L32 was trash. I'm upgrading the L36 instead
56. Side project: The ultimate-ish intake manifold takes shape

Now back to 2018!
1688935182526.png

Now that this car is running and driving, I figured I would start a thread dedicated to all the questions I’m about to pummel this group with. This is the first time I've really built anything to move quicker than stock, so I'm hoping to learn a lot from you guys before I make unnecessary mistakes. I also have a thread in the Turbobuick.com 3800 section, but I'm not getting as much input there due to a lack of audience. Here goes nothing...

The car I have is a 2002 Camaro with only ONE factory option (rear window defogger). The story supposedly goes that my buddy's dad was looking forever for a new Camaro because he never buys anything for a penny more than the best deal. He almost ran out of time as this was the final model year for the F-body, and '03s were already on the market. The dealer from which he found this car bought it for the sole purpose of being able to advertise "Brand new Camaros for under $10k", so this was the one he took home.

Fast forward to 2018. The car was structurally a wreck from living in the rust belt, but has a great interior, okay black paint, a third pedal, a 3800 (which is a plus in my book), and a lot of sentimental value since I remember riding in it when it was brand new. My buddy’s dad handed me the keys in hopes that I would enjoy it and make it a race car. To be honest, I don’t care for F-bodies, but I couldn't resist this one for the reasons above despite knowing that the floors were in desperate need of existing again.

I already had my dream car which is a 1986 Buick Regal Grand National. As much as I love that car, I like it the way it is in fairly stock form and modifying Buicks has gotten terribly expensive anyway. I figured a black 3800 Camaro could easily fulfill my childhood dreams of racing a badass turbo Buick V6 car while being on a budget, so here I am.

The car is now equipped with:
-6765 ebay turbo
-Precision PW40 wastegate
-Custom turbo exhaust utilizing a stock Camaro and FWD manifolds
-Air to air ebay intercooler
-AEM 50-1200 fuel pump
-Siemens Deka 80# fuel injectors
-Open 3” downpipe
-Custom 3” charge pipes
-Intense mail order tune
-Very ugly but functional upright radiator conversion (the core support was all just rust anyway) :dunno:
-Custom space saving AC delete without bypass pulley
-Midwest Chassis bumper support modified to mount my intercooler
-Spec Stage 1 clutch kit

The car is far from refined and has a lot of little issues to sort out, but I will leave the first post as sort of an introduction to that. I hope you enjoy hearing about it. It’s been fun to build!

Cgge0Pb.jpg

uapwiw2.jpg

08tL6Rj.jpg

7zXNhuZ.jpg

PVLQyzg.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
1659963056998.png

1659963083757.png

1659963094711.png

All this old tech was pretty cool to see in use.
1659963122335.png

The S.S. Badger is so old and obsolete that its sister ship, the S.S. Spartan remains on hand as a parts ship. I imagine it's tough getting replacement steam ship engine parts without it.
1659963250111.png

The Badger used to ship rail road cars but was converted to automobiles only in '92. You can still see the old rails on the floor.
1659963329800.png

1659963400247.png

It's not the most luxurious liner. lol
1659963446731.png

I need this for a boost gauge.
1659963484793.png

1659963495706.png

1659963506311.png

Not everything made it onto the boat under its own power. lol I guess I wasn't the only guy Roadkilling.
1659963567147.png

1659963581767.png

1659963589478.png

1659963604071.png

1659963616173.png

1659963624904.png

1659963646065.png

1659963662191.png

1659963671608.png

1659963682467.png

1659963699385.png

Made it!
1659963804888.png

Packed like sardines
1659963925007.png

1659963933465.png

1659963945201.png

1659963967460.png

1659963977315.png

1659963987521.png

1659963999070.png

On the road again! WI was a lot hotter than MI was when I left.
1659964035102.png

1659964068283.png

1659964087051.png

Stopped at a brat festival in Sheboygan
1659964111270.png

ass saggin from all the cargo. lol Number two complaint from this trip is the blown out shocks and whatever TF was clunking over every bump. Coilovers and rear control arms are a must.
1659964132967.png

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Someone popped the inflatable brat man :ROFLMAO: He couldn't really walk anymore.
1659964325389.png

Visited a brewery in Sheboygan before making my way to Milwaukee.
1659964384268.png

If I wasn't strapped for time, I would have tried to take some glam shots of the car in front of this bar.
1659964421754.png

1659964434878.png

I found him
1659964460799.png

That's about it. The car ran great the whole week! While making my way home from Milwaukee on Sunday morning I started having some deep thoughts about my car situation. I realized that I'm not going to drive the car any more than I do now until I have AC and better suspension. I should really focus on those two things before doing anything more with the engine. What I haven't decided though is if I'm going to commit to having the car out of commission for about a year while I do everything or if I'm cool with pulling the drivetrain out to throw my big heads and clutch on without the cam. All this talk of balance shaft delete vibrations, the expense of tuning or Holley efi, and rough riding suspension is kinda making me nervous. My current complaints are pretty trivial considering that I just took this jalopy on a very long drive. I'd hate to make the car uncomfortable or unreliable in the name of speed.

I've had numerous people in the Buick community tell me that they had more fun in their cars when it was an 11-12 second car than they ever did when it ran 8-10s and that really stuck with me. I figure heads and studs are a solid upgrade no matter what. The stock cam and LS6 valve springs should allow me to keep a balance shaft, avoid the cost of retuning the car, and make a lot more power than my 10-bolt is willing to put up with. Not to mention that the stock cam will help me maintain the torque that I love so much. It's a lot of win, but also kind of a waste when I consider that I'll have everything for the cam swap and the engine out of the car. Tough call.

I'm going to have to suck it up in terms of suspension. The rear set-up in particular is very tired. The shitty shocks are done, the springs aren't stiff enough to keep me off my bump stops and exhaust, and the rear control arms are known weak points after the torque arm. As for the front, I'm going to install my Spohn k-member, and rebush the stock control arms. I don't have the coin to go with tubular arms.

I've also gotten a bit more serious about selling the GN. If I could sell that and buy a decent roller, I'll change directions entirely.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Someone popped the inflatable brat man :ROFLMAO: He couldn't really walk anymore.
View attachment 128346
Visited a brewery in Sheboygan before making my way to Milwaukee.
View attachment 128347
If I wasn't strapped for time, I would have tried to take some glam shots of the car in front of this bar.
View attachment 128348
View attachment 128349

I found him
View attachment 128350

That's about it. The car ran great the whole week! While making my way home from Milwaukee on Sunday morning I started having some deep thoughts about my car situation. I realized that I'm not going to drive the car any more than I do now until I have AC and better suspension. I should really focus on those two things before doing anything more with the engine. What I haven't decided though is if I'm going to commit to having the car out of commission for about a year while I do everything or if I'm cool with pulling the drivetrain out to throw my big heads and clutch on without the cam. All this talk of balance shaft delete vibrations, the expense of tuning or Holley efi, and rough riding suspension is kinda making me nervous. My current complaints are pretty trivial considering that I just took this jalopy on a very long drive. I'd hate to make the car uncomfortable or unreliable in the name of speed.

I've had numerous people in the Buick community tell me that they had more fun in their cars when it was an 11-12 second car than they ever did when it ran 8-10s and that really stuck with me. I figure heads and studs are a solid upgrade no matter what. The stock cam and LS6 valve springs should allow me to keep a balance shaft, avoid the cost of retuning the car, and make a lot more power than my 10-bolt is willing to put up with. Not to mention that the stock cam will help me maintain the torque that I love so much. It's a lot of win, but also kind of a waste when I consider that I'll have everything for the cam swap and the engine out of the car. Tough call.

I'm going to have to suck it up in terms of suspension. The rear set-up in particular is very tired. The shitty shocks are done, the springs aren't stiff enough to keep me off my bump stops and exhaust, and the rear control arms are known weak points after the torque arm. As for the front, I'm going to install my Spohn k-member, and rebush the stock control arms. I don't have the coin to go with tubular arms.

I've also gotten a bit more serious about selling the GN. If I could sell that and buy a decent roller, I'll change directions entirely.
You definitely have some things to think about and decisions to make. I've always been a believer that a 500-650hp street car is RELIABLE and super fun, versus more power... and more problems.

If you've been following the GN market on BAT, you should be able to snatch some decent coin for it, and then roll that money into this, or something else.

Reactions: sktchy and v6buicks

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Gotta say for the build you've done it's got a ton of miles on it. You're doing awesome, I can appreciate the "street car" nature of what you're doing. I'd put my priority on the back suspension and when a/c comes it comes. It looks like you've got 3 dead bodies in the trunk and I know that trunk won't hold 3 dead bodies unless they're midgets. Maybe not even then. It seems like it makes good power now, I could see that taking priority.

If you do want to more power Comp offers 2 smaller cams and one moderate but not huge cam. This is probably my preferred of the lot. I would consider the LSA a bit wide for making optimal power but you'd probably gain some fuel economy compared to say a 110 LSA. This has under 40 degrees of overlap as well which means you should still have really good street manners. I think that STT5 will make very good power but that is likely the limits of its virtues. Even with the IS3 heads I would be shocked if you need to go much over [email protected] to really get the most of them.

https://www.compcams.com/xtreme-energy-201-205-hydraulic-roller-cam-for-gm-3800-3-8l-v6.html

Although not on pump gas, don't forget that the 204/214 and 206/206 cams have gone 10s in a full weight GN with ported iron heads that flow less than your ported 3800 heads.

I think "mid range" Comp would be a decent improvement over your stocker which is something like 181/[email protected] with a stock cam I certainly don't think you'd see full benefits from doing the heads but with that much more air flow you'd probably still see gains. Heads are foundational to making power and air flow is foundational to making a turbo work.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Thanks everyone!

Mr_Roboto Mr_Roboto I didn't even consider doing a smaller cam. That choppy sound I crave would be cool, but I don't know if it outweighs the negatives. I might have to save that for a different build or just sell it. I was going to go with the ST2 if I found one of those used first, but the ST5 I found was a great deal. What if I did a NIC cam or GT2? I honestly didn't know that Comp had 3800 cams off the shelf other than the ones sold by ZZP so the one you posted surprised me a bit.

GTPpower GTPpower I'm only running 12psi or so. I know the heads aren't going to do much as is, but I know that turning up the boost is a gamble with my Fel-pro bolts and L36 gaskets. I figured I'd just do the IS3 heads with the studs and L67 gaskets so that I CAN turn the boost up. I have a replacement timing chain and tensioner I can throw on, but I wonder how LS6 springs will handle all that boost. If I have to delete the balance shaft for a double roller then I might as well put a cam in.

Oh yeah.... one other complaint. When I beat the shit out of my car, it burns oil for a little while out the tail pipe. I think my ebay turbo is unhappy. I don't know if it's my crazy oil pressure or just a shitty turbo that's had enough, but it only happens after a long WOT run. It smoked bad of Friday night after showing off to a couple family friends and on my way to the boat the next morning. It's been fine ever since.

Reactions: GTPpower and sktchy

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
You definitely have some things to think about and decisions to make. I've always been a believer that a 500-650hp street car is RELIABLE and super fun, versus more power... and more problems.

If you've been following the GN market on BAT, you should be able to snatch some decent coin for it, and then roll that money into this, or something else.
My biggest fear is selling it, not being able to find another one that's worth buying, and regretting the sale. All the $17k higher mile GNs that are not super nice but certainly enjoyable as-is are now $30k. Oddly I haven't seen any "project" GNs for sale in quite a while. That might be telling me something....

If I could somehow sell the car and score a good roller, I'd 3800/turbo/4l80e/Holley EFI swap it using the Dan Jost headers. Then I'd probably sell the turbo parts from the Camaro and do some sort of wacky swap in it while retaining the TKX. I'd definitely stick with something that has an available bellhousing though. Buick 455? Honda V6? :unsure:

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
My biggest fear is selling it, not being able to find another one that's worth buying, and regretting the sale. All the $17k higher mile GNs that are not super nice but certainly enjoyable as-is are now $30k. Oddly I haven't seen any "project" GNs for sale in quite a while. That might be telling me something....

If I could somehow sell the car and score a good roller, I'd 3800/turbo/4l80e/Holley EFI swap it using the Dan Jost headers. Then I'd probably sell the turbo parts from the Camaro and do some sort of wacky swap in it while retaining the TKX. I'd definitely stick with something that has an available bellhousing though. Buick 455? Honda V6? :unsure:
Soooo.... you should keep the GN. LOL

Reactions: sktchy

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Soooo.... you should keep the GN. LOL
I refuse to modify it. I might as well flush 10k down the toilet. I also don't enjoy it enough as-is which makes me wonder if a GN is even the right car for me.

I could just be done with the GN, build a driver quality GS, and auto swap/full racecar the Camaro too. That would be acceptable.

• Love
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I almost completely forgot that I just spent $1600 on a clutch that's only good for the 3800/TKX combo. F all that. The 3800 needs to stay with the TKX and Camaro a while longer. The wife really loves the GN anyway, and if I ever get a bigger house (both the wife and I want that) the car will be a lot less "in the way".... I guess I'm back at square one. lol

I'm going to try focusing on cam and turbo selection. I really need to learn how to do that so I can make more educated decisions. I assume that they'll play into each other a bit as well. Now is the time! I'm still loving the idea of a T4 twin scroll on my current flange with a quick spool valve. However, I may be missing something that I don't understand.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I almost completely forgot that I just spent $1600 on a clutch that's only good for the 3800/TKX combo. F all that. The 3800 needs to stay with the TKX and Camaro a while longer. The wife really loves the GN anyway, and if I ever get a bigger house (both the wife and I want that) the car will be a lot less "in the way".... I guess I'm back at square one. lol

I'm going to try focusing on cam and turbo selection. I really need to learn how to do that so I can make more educated decisions. I assume that they'll play into each other a bit as well. Now is the time! I'm still loving the idea of a T4 twin scroll on my current flange with a quick spool valve. However, I may be missing something that I don't understand.

Vizard's How to Build Horsepower for the cam. Dude's kind of a shameless self promoter in some ways but there's some cool shit in the cam section. The custom cam I've been thinking about doing in my build is largely a byproduct of the mentality he talks about which focuses on LSA first and duration second. A lot of people think a narrow LSA causes a choppy idle which isn't true. Lots of overlap causes a choppy idle. Vizard focuses on the idea that you set the LSA (he calls it the LCA, which is interchangeable) then you alter the duration to the qualities sought in the vehicle e.g. idle, street manners etc. I'll try to play with DD and see if I can scare an example or two up tonight.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
As far as a cam if I ever had to do it over again I'd go with something like the st2 that doesn't involve revving it it to 7k to hit peak power. Drivability is still pretty alright with the bigger cam I have if you spend the time to work the quirks out of it but it's a hell of alot bigger chore than what just dialing in a mild setup and sending it is. So it's possible you may end up spending a little bit more on time with your tuner than anything as far as that goes. Keep in mind when you start changing stuff like that it's gonna really twist the data your given so playing witch hunt for little issues becomes a much bigger task as well.

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I think I finally learned a thing or two about turbo sizing thanks to Garrett's wisdom. I may have been taking their calculations a bit too literally, but it's a start, right? Is this really how people shop for turbos?
1660051670154.png

1660052163959.png

My understanding is that I need to be looking for a map where a 2.55 pressure ratio meets ~54-56 lbs/min in the optimum efficiency window if I want 650 crank horsepower. I'm assuming that's enough for 600whp, but perhaps I should calculate 700 for comparison. Checking how much room I have to grow is good anyway.

Translating all that to a specific turbo yielded this result which appears right on the flippin money. What are your thoughts?
1660053640534.png

I am still going completely blind on the turbine side, but my understanding is that it's not quite as critical. What the hell is A/R? Seeing that there's a divided T4 housing available that I can put a quick spool under has me breathing heavily, but I don't wanna screw this up. I also don't know what size the turbine or compressor outlets are. Although I'm very much not excited about redoing the plumbing again, I'd be more than happy to do it if I have confidence in the turbo being a solid upgrade.

I also don't really want to spend Garrett prices, so I guess I'll have to shop for knock offs with similar specs?

Thread Info