🔧 BUILD LAME Turbo V6 Camaro

General Information

Hello! Welcome to the shit show! I am updating this post in 2021 to explain what new readers are about to witness. If I knew that this thread and build were going to explode into what it is today, I would have started it out a lot different.

This car was (and still is) a basket case. The whole inspiration for starting this project was to start learning how to modify engines in a car that I didn't like. That way, if and when I screwed up, I wouldn't be ruining a nice car. It spiraled out of control from the first moment that I felt boost. I loved what I had created, but it took a ton of work to get to where I was. As soon as I got the car running nicely I was always saying "I'm going to fix______, and THEN I'll just enjoy driving it." You know the drill. Drive, break, fix, repeat! Before I knew it, I enjoyed driving and working on this turd more than the nice car I was trying to preserve!

The point is that the focus of this thread shifts A LOT. To complicate matters, I never have just one ongoing project open at a time. I listed some thread contents with links below. I will update this as new milestones or big updates happen. Just know that even if you click on the shortcut, you may have to scroll past other project posts to reveal the outcome. There are also some mini-projects and very helpful advice from other members in between, so read the whole dang thing if you want!

2018-2019
1. A late introduction
2. Discovering how a PCV works (and plugging it)
3. Custom grill for intercooler
4. Fuel pump trap door
5. Learning that I'll never learn anything from my goofy wide band gauge
6. Deleting AC completely, but retaining heat
7. Low profile heater hose fittings
8. Deleting an air bag without setting a light on the dash
9. Starting a second round of floor repairs
10. ABS delete and line lock installation
- A separate thread for the electrons
11. Installing catch cans with nice brackets (Way overkill)
12. Figuring out the "blow by" problem once and for all (F-body intake plug)
13. Second clutch job, first rear cover job, and preliminary transmission swap research
14. Floors are "done", and Interior is installed.
15. I don't know how to tune, but this wide band might help.
16. Poly trans mount. Yeah, it actually deserves a link.
17. I waved the tuning white flag. Dyno Brian sets me straight!
18. T5 Pro5.0 shifter
19. New shifter was too much fun. OG T5 explodes, and my transmission conversion ideas start to get serious.
-TKX conversion
-TKX swap official write-up
20. Reconfiguring my exhaust for a quieter and less leaky future
21. I'm not done enjoying this car for the year, so I install a $100 T5 instead of a bulletproof conversion. SPOILER ALERT: It only lasts two months.
22. Minor repairs/updates that make the car livable (lighting, stereo, speedometer re-zero, and a clutch master cylinder that actually does it's job!)
23. Wheels and addressing rust again since I got time!
24. Custom center caps
25. 1.9 roller rockers and LS6 springs
26. CAI V2.0
27. TKX is delayed so it's time to address the little annoyances.
-OE pan is junk. Dorman pan gets hot rodded
28. TKX is still delayed, so I install just one poly engine mount and beef up my flimsy turbo drain plumbing
29. TKX does NOT ship the following Monday. Flywheel bolts upgraded to ARP M10 x 1.0
30. When you're on a Chinese garbage budget, you better be ready to work harder. (Oil drain fitting hot rodding)
31. Finally repairing the oil sender pig tail, replacing the other engine mount, and test fitting the TKX.
32. Finally addressing rear brake lines while I wait for more transmission parts.
33. Modifying an ICM for a WOT box
34. Dash gets re-instrumented so that diagnostics become possible.
35. N2MB WOT box
36. Porked crank key. PSA: Be careful installing your balancer!
37. Car runs great after plug change, but the rear main seal needs to be changed again.
38. BURNOUT! Also, I kinda bought a cam.
39. Turbo drain finale (better be) and full exhaust commenced
40. Downpipe V3 and BMR strut tower brace
41. Panhard bar and relocation for bro truck exhaust
42. Muffler, driveshaft, torque arm, and giving up smoking.
43. First trip to the GS Nationals (feat. time slip)
44. The very custom AC project is born
45. New dyno results (up 50 hp!)
46. Exhaust hanger repair before Michigan/S.S. Badger/Wisconsin trip
47. Sizing a better turbo
48. Painting but still not installing the IS3 heads and Monster clutch unboxing
49. Firewall brace
50. New ECM
51. Out of storage and SC engine buy failure #3
52. Modified double roller and spitballing crankcase evac ideas
53. Completing the rear suspension. UMI rear control arms.
54. Cracked headers and L32 swap begins
55. My newest L32 was trash. I'm upgrading the L36 instead
56. Side project: The ultimate-ish intake manifold takes shape

Now back to 2018!
1688935182526.png

Now that this car is running and driving, I figured I would start a thread dedicated to all the questions I’m about to pummel this group with. This is the first time I've really built anything to move quicker than stock, so I'm hoping to learn a lot from you guys before I make unnecessary mistakes. I also have a thread in the Turbobuick.com 3800 section, but I'm not getting as much input there due to a lack of audience. Here goes nothing...

The car I have is a 2002 Camaro with only ONE factory option (rear window defogger). The story supposedly goes that my buddy's dad was looking forever for a new Camaro because he never buys anything for a penny more than the best deal. He almost ran out of time as this was the final model year for the F-body, and '03s were already on the market. The dealer from which he found this car bought it for the sole purpose of being able to advertise "Brand new Camaros for under $10k", so this was the one he took home.

Fast forward to 2018. The car was structurally a wreck from living in the rust belt, but has a great interior, okay black paint, a third pedal, a 3800 (which is a plus in my book), and a lot of sentimental value since I remember riding in it when it was brand new. My buddy’s dad handed me the keys in hopes that I would enjoy it and make it a race car. To be honest, I don’t care for F-bodies, but I couldn't resist this one for the reasons above despite knowing that the floors were in desperate need of existing again.

I already had my dream car which is a 1986 Buick Regal Grand National. As much as I love that car, I like it the way it is in fairly stock form and modifying Buicks has gotten terribly expensive anyway. I figured a black 3800 Camaro could easily fulfill my childhood dreams of racing a badass turbo Buick V6 car while being on a budget, so here I am.

The car is now equipped with:
-6765 ebay turbo
-Precision PW40 wastegate
-Custom turbo exhaust utilizing a stock Camaro and FWD manifolds
-Air to air ebay intercooler
-AEM 50-1200 fuel pump
-Siemens Deka 80# fuel injectors
-Open 3” downpipe
-Custom 3” charge pipes
-Intense mail order tune
-Very ugly but functional upright radiator conversion (the core support was all just rust anyway) :dunno:
-Custom space saving AC delete without bypass pulley
-Midwest Chassis bumper support modified to mount my intercooler
-Spec Stage 1 clutch kit

The car is far from refined and has a lot of little issues to sort out, but I will leave the first post as sort of an introduction to that. I hope you enjoy hearing about it. It’s been fun to build!

Cgge0Pb.jpg

uapwiw2.jpg

08tL6Rj.jpg

7zXNhuZ.jpg

PVLQyzg.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
This full exhaust deal seems to have toppled a long trail of dominos. I didn't want to bother modifying a downpipe I didn't even like let alone one with some flaws. While I don't think the tight bend radii were necessarily restrictive (yet), there was plenty of space for wider bends. It looked really stupid IMO. I also had plenty of space to go 3.5" in instead of 3". Again, It's probably not necessary (yet), but it'll certainly look cooler! Besides, if I'm going to have a 4" outlet I might as well make the most of it. Finally, there is only one strut tower brace that's built to fit the V6. Sadly, it's a BMR piece so no black option. The old downpipe wouldn't have fit any of them anyway. Instead of building a downpipe, I first needed to scuff and paint a strut tower brace. What a wild turn of events!
1641154210297.png

1641154234976.png

Notice another problem yet? Here's a hint.
1641154285232.png

1641154316372.png

1641154338501.png

1641154351359.png

1641154365313.png

I never thought I would do an oil cap delete on anything, but I guess that's another reason to hate F-bodies. There's no way that I'm removing the downpipe to remove the oil cap. Luckily I don't have to. The much oversized -12AN catch can fitting is going to save my ass!
1641154547557.png

Speaking of which, the other valve cover does not have a fitting on it, so I'll be removing the entirely unnecessary second catch can. There's not going to be an easy way to drain it with the larger downpipe anyway. I ran out of shielding gas and all the local places have been out since October. :( I'll try the welding supply store by work tomorrow. I think my odds will be a lot better there.

I haven't gotten my LS hanger yet. Hopefully that comes soon.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I know the 3" was plenty sizable. I'm just being a doofus and pushing my fab skills. If anything, I'm probably just making it a hair louder which I might not like. We'll see.

I was hoping to just put the cap directly on the valve cover, but the downpipe will still be directly on top of it. It'll still be easier to fill through the fitting.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but these back ups suuuuck. I got lucky with the BMR piece being in stock, but I also have a UMI panhard bar and relocation kit ordered. Their site warned me at least 3 times that orders can 7-8 weeks to process. ?

Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
It took like three months for my umi stuff to get here and that's before everything was like it is now.

This backorder stuff is crazy. Tried to get a barrel of oil for work last week before the price increase and ended up with a bunch of boxes instead just to get by for now. No doubt it'll be like 08 and when stuff does come back in stock the price will be absolutely insane.

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
1643288971425.png

I've gotten way too patient with rust. What a friggen miracle.

1643289412826.png

1643289393278.png

1643289455846.png

Nice....
1643289469853.png

I had tot remove the shock to make the bolt clear the spring. Nice one, Chevy. I'm just glad I could remove this junk without cutting anything.
1643289537546.png

1643289586007.png

I could install my pretty UMI stuff now, but I'd rather take a little extra time to knock rust off and encapsulate the mounting points. I'll get some roloc pads on my way home from work.

It feels good to work on this thing again. The coffee table turned out awesome, but I'd much rather play with mechanical stuff than furniture.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Holy crap that poor things ate up. On the plus side getting rid of the shitty stock pitman arm and trac bars made a HUGE difference in how my car drove and took a good bit of the twist off of it under hard accel. The rear end actually goes up and down somewhat evenly now instead of planting everything on the right rear. One of the best mods I've done I think you'll be thanking yourself soon

Reactions: GTPpower

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
After a whole bunch of wire wheeling, trashing roloc pads, spraying rust encapsulator, and applying lots of lube/antiseize, we made it to this point.
PXL_20220204_213238109.jpg

As you can clearly see, I left the rear end mostly alone. I don't care about it at all, and it's ready to die. I just cleaned up the spot where the lower bar attaches so that I don't end up with rust impacted into the poly bushing.
PXL_20220204_213207293.MP.jpg

I chose this life.
PXL_20220204_213247357.jpg

Now it's time to try fitting the exhaust again. I'll start tomorrow.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Crusty hangers

PXL_20220204_204002630.jpg

PXL_20220204_204005163.jpg

Cleaned up and encapsulated.
PXL_20220205_181840625.jpg

This exhaust really sucks to install nicely, but I'm happy with it.
PXL_20220205_213746920.jpg

This here is my least favorite part. The clamp on hanger is stupid and very difficult to position. Once I'm done with the down pipe, I'm going to modify it so that it's less adjustable. The tab is way too long. I'll then weld it to the top of pipe and cut the rest off because it's pretty unsightly.
PXL_20220205_195000684.jpg

It seems to tuck up nicely if you spend enough to do it right.
PXL_20220205_195009158.jpg

I started playing with the downpipe, but found that I got too wide of bends. I'm just going to cut up my 3" and run that instead.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
First, a picture I forgot to take:
PXL_20220207_235100129.jpg

I took a gamble on a brand new Walker hanger for a third gen. The mounting holes needed to be slotted. Otherwise, it fits well. On with the show!

Oh, yes! Until now, I couldn't quite pinpoint how I needed to change the downpipe design for a more aggressive look. About an inch larger bend radius might have been ideal, but this ram horn looks a ton better IMO. ?
PXL_20220207_221544287.jpg

It's going to slide between the valve cover and tower brace nicely, and I've found a great spot to split it into two pieces. If I can remove a section between the turbo and firewall, I can change plugs without getting under the car. It's coming together even better than I imagined! However, I ran out of gas, so I couldn't tack on the next piece.
PXL_20220207_221605348.jpg

That left me to do some less fun stuff. I impulse bought a driveshaft loop a couple weeks ago. When it comes to safety stuff, I find it best to buy when I'm motivated to do so. Otherwise, I might put it off too long. There was an opened but unused Lakewood kit for $80 so I snagged it. The shitty part and the reason I've put it off is that I have nothing to mount it to. When I redid the floors, I cut these mounts out and never replaced them. I guess it's time to fix that. ?

I cleared the Rust-Oleum undercoating off and took measurements.
PXL_20220207_231014646.jpg

I still don't have a brake, but I still have a vise and a hammer.
?‍♂️
PXL_20220207_230959662.jpg

It's ugly, but look at that fitment! Mwah! ?
PXL_20220207_231038957.jpg

That's enough for tonight!

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I keep saying that I'm going to do that too. I'd just take the car all apart to get powder and ceramic on everything in one visit, but I keep breaking commitments to piping and stuff. At some point I'll have to address the shoddy AF radiator mounting which probably means moving the intercooler and stuff. Idk, man. I can't even keep parts on my car long enough for paint to be worth the investment. ?

Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I definitely feel that. I feel as if I've slacked alot over the winter but I guess I have thrown two motors in the thing. Seems like I get some done and then I get knocked back a step or three and I let it sit for a while before I can talk myself into messing with it again

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
My welds still suck, but I'm happy with the way things are going otherwise. I sort of wish I had my buddy TIG weld it for me. Oh well. It's not overshadowing the fact the the routing and ease of access is perfect! It's going to get wrapped again anyway. Here it is with the support welded on. This looks so much better now that it's only a couple inches vs 8-10. lol
1645106750803.png

This will be the easily removable section so that I can get to my spark plugs. I haven't gotten my V-band yet, so I couldn't finish it. I'm starting to think that I'll even be able to get the valve cover off by only removing this part which would be a big plus.
1645106880119.png

Here's a better ide of where the joint will be. I love it.
1645106945395.png

1645106956325.png

1645106967293.png

1645106978198.png

1645106987903.png

1645107041973.png

Shopping list:
-3" V-band
-4" to 3" reducer
-Another 3rd gen hanger
-Probably another 3" U-bend

Connecting the DP to the exhaust isn't going to be as simple as I hoped. There are going to be a couple sharpish bends and at least one hanger under the passenger floor. I think I'm going to use another 3rd gen hanger and bolt a custom adapter piece to where the heat shield used to mount. Then I'll just have to bend and weld a piece of flat stock to the pipe. Since there will be sharpish bends anyway, and I already have an open switch in my console, I might incorporate a cutout. I haven't decided on that yet though. There aren't any electric designs that are durable enough for my liking.

Thread Info