📊 Poll Being the hero I've always needed.

Would you do it?

• You're a dumbass for even asking this.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 3800 or NOTHING

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Hold out for a truck. Everyone needs a truck.

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I really doubt that I'm going to act on this in any sort of way. However, I the idea gets sweeter and sweeter the more I think about it.

On occasion I kick myself for not keeping my '95 LeSabre. It was great on gas for such a big car and ran on 87. I thought I was making a big boy decision by getting a smaller Volvo with less problems. To be fair, I really was. I didn't know nearly as much about cars back then, the Buick's evaporator sprung a leak, the rust situation was getting bad, and mechanicals were starting to get worse for wear.

Things have changed though. I can fix shit. Plus, the Volvo is no longer my only car. I trust the Camaro to get me to and from work without issues. Why not get a beater that's still reliable and cheaper to drive? Do you think a 90s LeSabre or PA could still be a nice daily driver for somebody who isn't lead footing everywhere? As much as I would like to cruise a loaded up Ultra, it kind of defeats the point if I'm filling up with premium. I'd even consider a LeSabre Limited if it was optioned well. I just miss that cushy couch ride, Buick quality (before it went to shit), and massive trunk that actually holds more stuff than my current hatch back.

I guess I'm thinking a bit more long term here. The Volvo will be a throw away car. I have very few "feelings" for it. A LeSabre or PA could be a potential forever car for my fleet that's worth replacing transmissions when they blow ect. However, I still don't have a truck.....

Just saying... I would drive the shit out of this for a couple g less.
1656504892610.png

Reactions: TurboTPI

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'll put the nip on that and say focus on what you've got. The reason you spend money on having a decent car is it affords you the time for other shit.
You are absolutely right about that. I just have to give a little rebuttal. First, I'm bored of what I've got. I'm having my "sell it" feelings toward the Camaro again because I hate that it's a Chevy. Even if it was a Firebird instead of a Camaro I'd probably hate it a lot less, but maybe not. Idk. Regardless, I'm not interested in it right now. Second, are LeSabres and Park Avenues not good cars anymore? They are old, but is a well-kept low-mile example going to be a finnicky POS just because of being 25-30 years old? ....Probably. I imagine that even the good ones have issues with electric AC controls, subframe bushings, and other goofy gremilns. Maybe you're onto something there.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
It's not the quality it's the quantity. I realized having too many "active" cars to work on is a pain in the ass, a money/time suck and it means I don't get even less shit done.

Buying a car to save you money is silly unless you have a lambo that costs you $3/mile to drive. Drive the Volvo as a daily, don't save the pussy for the next guy. I mean how much insurance are you gonna spend on a W-body in a year, plates, repairs (both time and cash) and so on. I'm not going to say that's like $5K in costs but it still is costs. That doesn't even include the purchase price either, I could see you paying $3K+ for a decent (not great) example. 10K is enough for thousands of miles of driving.

I'd toss a Holley box in the Camaro way before I'd do that.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
It's not the quality it's the quantity. I realized having too many "active" cars to work on is a pain in the ass, a money suck and it means I don't get even less shit done.
It would be a replacement for my Volvo so no additional cars. The C30 is quickly becoming a project. The AC is getting stale, it needs struts, at least one brake caliper is bad, and who knows what else I'll find. My line of thinking is to switch the car out for something that will at least provide some satisfaction. If I go too new, I'll be getting screwed hard by the crazy car market.

I'm still not saying you're completely wrong. I've already sorta done similar stuff to myself twice with the '88 Silverado and the 240. I'm just hard headed and apparently haven't learned my lesson. :LOL:Albeit, the 240 was particularly lemony and too rusty to have bought in the first place. Also, the '88 was only an addition. If I had gotten rid of a car to get the truck, I would still have it.

I'm really not interested in Holley like at all. If I still have the Camaro in a few years and want an extra 200hp I'll revisit this, but Lame V6 runs and drives great as-is. It needs so many other things before I even need to think about powertrain again.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I voted truck...but only you know how much you actually need a truck. We use ours every freaking weekend. It's always loaded or pulling a trailer.
Truck always sounds like a good idea until I need to buy one or put gas in it. I've gone basically my whole life without one, so I clearly don't "need" it. I figure now or even a couple years from now is probably the worst time to pick one up.

Reactions: Kizzlebizz

Kizzlebizz

Regular
Oct 26, 2020
It's not the quality it's the quantity. I realized having too many "active" cars to work on is a pain in the ass, a money/time suck and it means I don't get even less shit done.

This is a lesson I have been stubborn about learning for the past couple of years. I spend so much time and money to simply keep them going that I rarely get anything "extra" done. I'm attempting now to clear out the fleet.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
You need a quarter million mile Tahoe or yukon. Even fully loaded they're half the price of a truck and theres plenty of room to fill it up with stuff if you lay the back seats down or take em out and you can still pull around about whatever you want.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
It's definitely a struggle... We can't have everything. I almost debate selling the GN instead. It really just sucks money out of my pocket while sitting in the garage. Not much fun to be had there, and the market is highly in my favor. At the same time I know I'm going to miss saying I have one.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
You need a quarter million mile Tahoe or yukon. Even fully loaded they're half the price of a truck and theres plenty of room to fill it up with stuff if you lay the back seats down or take em out and you can still pull around about whatever you want.
Ngl That's one thing I am 100% not willing to do.

I don't like trucks/work horses at all. If I get one, it needs to just work with as little maintenance as possible.

• Sad
Reactions: sktchy

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I am very much Happy with having a wagon although my Grand Prix has the rear seat left unbolted in case I need the haul large s***.

I vote for an Oldsmobile Ciera wagon.

Then if you have a Sierra pickup no one will know what you mean when you say you're going to take the Sierra to town

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I am very much Happy with having a wagon although my Grand Prix has the rear seat left unbolted in case I need the haul large s***.

I vote for an Oldsmobile Ciera wagon.

Then if you have a Sierra pickup no one will know what you mean when you say you're going to take the Sierra to town
Century wagon is absolutely on this list as well. They're just a little more tough to find in nice shape, and they never seemed to have as nice of build quality as the H/C bodies.

Reactions: bs009

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Ngl That's one thing I am 100% not willing to do.

I don't like trucks/work horses at all. If I get one, it needs to just work with as little maintenance as possible.
Idk man knock on wood ours has been pretty solid other than taking 15 minutes to change the oil pressure sender and other little maintenance stuff. I say that and the 60e will probably gain some neutrals but it's hard to beat that stock 5.3 reliability.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Idk man knock on wood ours has been pretty solid other than taking 15 minutes to change the oil pressure sender and other little maintenance stuff. I say that and the 60e will probably gain some neutrals but it's hard to beat that stock 5.3 reliability.
They're reliable to a point, but with high miles like that you have no idea what's coming or when. It sucks buying a nice old truck and needing to buy a transmission a couple weeks later. Done that before! Then again, a 40k mile PA might not be much better. Dex cool problems, rubber parts dry-rotting, and electrical gremlins seem to happen no matter what.

Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
They're reliable to a point, but with high miles like that you have no idea what's coming or when. It sucks buying a nice old truck and needing to buy a transmission a couple weeks later. Done that before! Then again, a 40k mile PA might not be much better. Dex cool problems, rubber parts dry-rotting, and electrical gremlins seem to happen no matter what.
I've seen plenty of new stuff fail well before 40k as well, you did say you can fix it, and the ls isn't any harder to work on or more expensive than a 3800 to maintain. I've probably gone over my 2 cents limit here tho ?

Thread Info