🔧 BUILD LAME Turbo V6 Camaro

General Information

Hello! Welcome to the shit show! I am updating this post in 2021 to explain what new readers are about to witness. If I knew that this thread and build were going to explode into what it is today, I would have started it out a lot different.

This car was (and still is) a basket case. The whole inspiration for starting this project was to start learning how to modify engines in a car that I didn't like. That way, if and when I screwed up, I wouldn't be ruining a nice car. It spiraled out of control from the first moment that I felt boost. I loved what I had created, but it took a ton of work to get to where I was. As soon as I got the car running nicely I was always saying "I'm going to fix______, and THEN I'll just enjoy driving it." You know the drill. Drive, break, fix, repeat! Before I knew it, I enjoyed driving and working on this turd more than the nice car I was trying to preserve!

The point is that the focus of this thread shifts A LOT. To complicate matters, I never have just one ongoing project open at a time. I listed some thread contents with links below. I will update this as new milestones or big updates happen. Just know that even if you click on the shortcut, you may have to scroll past other project posts to reveal the outcome. There are also some mini-projects and very helpful advice from other members in between, so read the whole dang thing if you want!

2018-2019
1. A late introduction
2. Discovering how a PCV works (and plugging it)
3. Custom grill for intercooler
4. Fuel pump trap door
5. Learning that I'll never learn anything from my goofy wide band gauge
6. Deleting AC completely, but retaining heat
7. Low profile heater hose fittings
8. Deleting an air bag without setting a light on the dash
9. Starting a second round of floor repairs
10. ABS delete and line lock installation
- A separate thread for the electrons
11. Installing catch cans with nice brackets (Way overkill)
12. Figuring out the "blow by" problem once and for all (F-body intake plug)
13. Second clutch job, first rear cover job, and preliminary transmission swap research
14. Floors are "done", and Interior is installed.
15. I don't know how to tune, but this wide band might help.
16. Poly trans mount. Yeah, it actually deserves a link.
17. I waved the tuning white flag. Dyno Brian sets me straight!
18. T5 Pro5.0 shifter
19. New shifter was too much fun. OG T5 explodes, and my transmission conversion ideas start to get serious.
-TKX conversion
-TKX swap official write-up
20. Reconfiguring my exhaust for a quieter and less leaky future
21. I'm not done enjoying this car for the year, so I install a $100 T5 instead of a bulletproof conversion. SPOILER ALERT: It only lasts two months.
22. Minor repairs/updates that make the car livable (lighting, stereo, speedometer re-zero, and a clutch master cylinder that actually does it's job!)
23. Wheels and addressing rust again since I got time!
24. Custom center caps
25. 1.9 roller rockers and LS6 springs
26. CAI V2.0
27. TKX is delayed so it's time to address the little annoyances.
-OE pan is junk. Dorman pan gets hot rodded
28. TKX is still delayed, so I install just one poly engine mount and beef up my flimsy turbo drain plumbing
29. TKX does NOT ship the following Monday. Flywheel bolts upgraded to ARP M10 x 1.0
30. When you're on a Chinese garbage budget, you better be ready to work harder. (Oil drain fitting hot rodding)
31. Finally repairing the oil sender pig tail, replacing the other engine mount, and test fitting the TKX.
32. Finally addressing rear brake lines while I wait for more transmission parts.
33. Modifying an ICM for a WOT box
34. Dash gets re-instrumented so that diagnostics become possible.
35. N2MB WOT box
36. Porked crank key. PSA: Be careful installing your balancer!
37. Car runs great after plug change, but the rear main seal needs to be changed again.
38. BURNOUT! Also, I kinda bought a cam.
39. Turbo drain finale (better be) and full exhaust commenced
40. Downpipe V3 and BMR strut tower brace
41. Panhard bar and relocation for bro truck exhaust
42. Muffler, driveshaft, torque arm, and giving up smoking.
43. First trip to the GS Nationals (feat. time slip)
44. The very custom AC project is born
45. New dyno results (up 50 hp!)
46. Exhaust hanger repair before Michigan/S.S. Badger/Wisconsin trip
47. Sizing a better turbo
48. Painting but still not installing the IS3 heads and Monster clutch unboxing
49. Firewall brace
50. New ECM
51. Out of storage and SC engine buy failure #3
52. Modified double roller and spitballing crankcase evac ideas
53. Completing the rear suspension. UMI rear control arms.
54. Cracked headers and L32 swap begins
55. My newest L32 was trash. I'm upgrading the L36 instead
56. Side project: The ultimate-ish intake manifold takes shape

Now back to 2018!
1688935182526.png

Now that this car is running and driving, I figured I would start a thread dedicated to all the questions I’m about to pummel this group with. This is the first time I've really built anything to move quicker than stock, so I'm hoping to learn a lot from you guys before I make unnecessary mistakes. I also have a thread in the Turbobuick.com 3800 section, but I'm not getting as much input there due to a lack of audience. Here goes nothing...

The car I have is a 2002 Camaro with only ONE factory option (rear window defogger). The story supposedly goes that my buddy's dad was looking forever for a new Camaro because he never buys anything for a penny more than the best deal. He almost ran out of time as this was the final model year for the F-body, and '03s were already on the market. The dealer from which he found this car bought it for the sole purpose of being able to advertise "Brand new Camaros for under $10k", so this was the one he took home.

Fast forward to 2018. The car was structurally a wreck from living in the rust belt, but has a great interior, okay black paint, a third pedal, a 3800 (which is a plus in my book), and a lot of sentimental value since I remember riding in it when it was brand new. My buddy’s dad handed me the keys in hopes that I would enjoy it and make it a race car. To be honest, I don’t care for F-bodies, but I couldn't resist this one for the reasons above despite knowing that the floors were in desperate need of existing again.

I already had my dream car which is a 1986 Buick Regal Grand National. As much as I love that car, I like it the way it is in fairly stock form and modifying Buicks has gotten terribly expensive anyway. I figured a black 3800 Camaro could easily fulfill my childhood dreams of racing a badass turbo Buick V6 car while being on a budget, so here I am.

The car is now equipped with:
-6765 ebay turbo
-Precision PW40 wastegate
-Custom turbo exhaust utilizing a stock Camaro and FWD manifolds
-Air to air ebay intercooler
-AEM 50-1200 fuel pump
-Siemens Deka 80# fuel injectors
-Open 3” downpipe
-Custom 3” charge pipes
-Intense mail order tune
-Very ugly but functional upright radiator conversion (the core support was all just rust anyway) :dunno:
-Custom space saving AC delete without bypass pulley
-Midwest Chassis bumper support modified to mount my intercooler
-Spec Stage 1 clutch kit

The car is far from refined and has a lot of little issues to sort out, but I will leave the first post as sort of an introduction to that. I hope you enjoy hearing about it. It’s been fun to build!

Cgge0Pb.jpg

uapwiw2.jpg

08tL6Rj.jpg

7zXNhuZ.jpg

PVLQyzg.jpg

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
You've still got the same plan I do if I ever get the money or swap motors and what not then I'll do that hard-core stuff. As for tuning ya sounds like you got alot of plans in life and it's one rabbit hole that's gonna take a bit to get into. I know I for one would send you a flash back anyday for what that's worth as well.

As far as the torque arm I don't really know what the big deal with em is but I know the bigger builds seem to favor the short one. I wouldn't have done mine if my buddy wasn't gettin rid of hand me downs lol but it sounds like you've got a solid plan. If we ever get these things done we gotta find a place to run em tho

Reactions: v6buicks

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
As for motivation, I'll get there. I can just only do so much body/frame work at time before I get really burnt out. I'm also repeating a lot of stuff which is not fun. Pulling brand new brake lines, rebleeding the system, removing brand new valve covers, and dropping the transmission a third time gives the sense that this journey never ends. I guess it never truly does since project cars are never "done". I just wish the car had a little more to show for itself given the amount of time and effort I have in it!

Surely, there will become a point where everything will jive and just work. I need to remember that I initially doubled the power in this car, and did nothing else. I should be expecting a lot of failures down stream of the engine.
Keep your head up Rome wasn't built in a day. I stare at shit I ordered months ago thatd be easy stuff and for whatever reason just don't do it. It's that time of year and the general feel of the world isn't so hot anyway. Do what's best for you man but I know for me I have to get up and get movin again or I'll stay stuck

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I did a little reading on the short vs. long torque arm.

It sounds like the shorter arm is better for those who race all the time. The change in instant center (a term which I'm still wrapping my head around) will work as an anti-squat. It can also cause handing and ride quality to suffer. Grip is good, but it sounds like I won't necessarily regret the long arm. There are are folks doing some crazy stuff with long arms, so I guess it really depends on which other parts you buy and how you set everything up.

Reactions: Rdrnnr

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Well, that makes me feel better about my decision lol. You gonna go adjustable? Idk what differences the angles make there but seems like your already that far lol
I'm definitely going adjustable because I plan on lowering the car and upgrading the rear end in the future. Right away it won't be necessary to adjust, but I'll be happy to have that ability when I need it. It's mainly about maintaining the correct pinion angle and keeping the wheels centered in the wells.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
That's a damn good question... The answer isn't simple because I want it all. I also understand that I can't have it all.

I know for sure that I want to keep this thing on the street. I want to drive it long distance with a full exhaust and good ride quality. It needs to handle nice too. In the end it's just an enjoyable beater. As for power? I have no idea. I'm kinda just wanting to take what I can get out of a stock bottom end and relatively stock cast iron heads. I might gasket match and polish things up, but I'm not wanting to get into crazy porting and stuff. If I'm being brutally honest, I really want the ST5 cam because of the sound. I'm definitely not out to break any records.

I think my limit will be somewhere around the point where it becomes too unreliable to drive whenever (besides snow/salt) and wherever I want. There's also a point where relatively cheap engine mods don't do much for power anymore. That's when I'm out. This car is being built to be driven hard but regularly. I would say that 600 hp is my goal. However, if building it up to that point becomes too draining in some way or another I'll call it done at 500 or even 450. I'm already planning out a build for the Volvo wagon, so I guess you can say that I enjoy building stuff just as much as I enjoy driving it.

To make a long story short, idk lol

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
That's a damn good question... The answer isn't simple because I want it all. I also understand that I can't have it all.

I know for sure that I want to keep this thing on the street. I want to drive it long distance with a full exhaust and good ride quality. It needs to handle nice too. In the end it's just an enjoyable beater. As for power? I have no idea. I'm kinda just wanting to take what I can get out of a stock bottom end and relatively stock cast iron heads. I might gasket match and polish things up, but I'm not wanting to get into crazy porting and stuff. If I'm being brutally honest, I really want the ST5 cam because of the sound. I'm definitely not out to break any records.

I think my limit will be somewhere around the point where it becomes too unreliable to drive whenever (besides snow/salt) and wherever I want. There's also a point where relatively cheap engine mods don't do much for power anymore. That's when I'm out. This car is being built to be driven hard but regularly. I would say that 600 hp is my goal. However, if building it up to that point becomes too draining in some way or another I'll call it done at 500 or even 450. I'm already planning out a build for the Volvo wagon, so I guess you can say that I enjoy building stuff just as much as I enjoy driving it.

To make a long story short, idk lol
Lol its always the short version. I guess I've got the same goals your just a bit more optimistic than I am

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
I was planning to go to this, but my sister is getting married the day before, so it might be a long shot. My buddy is also getting a cage put in his car since Krp didn't like it last time we went, so not sure if it will be done by then.

View attachment 79795
That is exactly what I'm hopin to have my car mostly together for [emoji2937] hopefully you can make it im only a few miles away and gonna try and sponsor the track and play all summer. Krp is good dudes but this town in general likes its rules lol

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
That is exactly what I'm hopin to have my car mostly together for [emoji2937] hopefully you can make it im only a few miles away and gonna try and sponsor the track and play all summer. Krp is good dudes but this town in general likes its rules lol

They were definitely pretty lax about it. He's been trying to get booted for a few years now and was finally successful.

As it gets closer, we'll have to stay in touch and see if we can meet up.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Shipping was still quick. I agree that their packing is usually decent too, but they dropped the ball this time. I don't know what they were thinking. I at least would have thrown everything IN the padded envelope. Next to it made no sense at all.

Yeah, I'll turn the air down on my air compressor and hook it up to my compression tester.

I got the fancy aluminum Yella Terra roller rockers from DanJ. It came with oil restricted pushrods and pedestals, so this should be all I need.

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
I'd bet you have yours in before I do mines under a foot of snow and at this point I kinda feel like finishing my truck and keepin work on track and bein a dad has to take priority. I plan on doin mine up badass when I do it. Got some vht engine paint to black base the compressor housing and valve covers and do a candy red overlay over the top of it. Kinda maybe got some of the taillight spray too buttttt well see what happens with that later I have mixed feelings there

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Pulled the car out yesterday for the first time in months and thought she looked pretty. It sure could stand to drop an inch or two in ride height though!
1612445810575.png

Before that, I rolled under the car to come up with a game plan for my driver side frame extension and subframe connector. I don't think it will be nearly as big of a pain in the ass to do as I initially planned. I can zip tie the fuel and brake lines out of my way, I shouldn't have to cut as much out, and I shouldn't have to pull the carpet out! (y) I was going to just get started on that, but I only removed a few bolt before my hands started to get numb. It was time to fix the heat. I forgot to take a picture of what I had before, but you can kind of see the spider trap I built above the door. I didn't realize that the heater I bought off marketplace was not designed to be hung from the ceiling. It was supposed to sit on the floor. Thinking I was slick, I built the shelf. It did the job for a few yers.
1.jpeg.png

...but I had no idea what I was missing out on until I got rid of all that. This itty bitty 5000W unit from Rural King gets everything in my garage much warmer in much less time! The best part is that I have it turned down to 3000W and thermostat set very low. I think my energy bills are going to be much less heartbreaking
1612447936001.png

Back to you're regularly scheduled program! I started working on the subframe connectors, but since I went through the hassle of putting the car back on the ground (I had it raised about 3 ft) I'm going to start on the valve springs tonight.

Reactions: m_dogg and Rdrnnr

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
I had a 5k heater in my 30x40 brick shop and man that thing struggled and ran all the time. Finally burned up this year and I got a 10k. It runs alot when it's 7 degree wind chill like this morning but if doors are closed it'll hold 80 I'm there no problem just make sure you have enough breaker for it. I've also got a pretty alright diesel heater if I've got doors open and stuff. If rural king is anything like tractor supply then it's probably one of my favorite places to find stuff for my farm boy shenanigans

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I finally ran out of legitimate excuses to not work on the car.
1612644972467.png

Overall, I'd say it went poorly, but I didn't let it get to me. Right off the bat, I figured out why the car has been smoking so much.
1612645026233.png

That's oil mixed with water. My car has always made a ton of condensation since switching to E85, but I think I blew my oil seal in the turbo. Considering that my oil pressure gauge pegs to 120 before I even hit WOT, I should definitely expect this sort of failure. I just don't get why it's happening. I currently have the Series 3 spring in there with 5W-30. Maybe it's time to go back to the stock Series 2 spring and 10W-30? Then what? Smaller turbo? Reseal this junk?

I'll worry about that later. Moving on...
1612645361965.png

That's my last spare manifold bolt. If I lose another, I have to buy another set. WTF. I tightened these all to double the spec last time and they're all loose again. Time for locking bolts? I don't know. I'll deal with that later too. For now, I got them all re-tightened with a ratchet.

1612645523162.png

Now I'm here. What a POS tool. I spent a whole bunch of time trying to figure out what I needed to do to make it work. The answer ended up being "chuck it"

I have a ton of stock rockers which I'll never use and a broken ratchet sooooo
1612645709324.png

Chopped
1612645771784.png

Marked
1612645787728.png

Chopped and welded
1612645822337.png

1612645838777.png

Oh, yes. Much easier!
1612645865158.png

Then I realized that I accidentally bought a valve stem seal kit for an LS. :cautious: I'll try this again another day. lol

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
Dude amazing on the rocker tool. But try a restrictor in that turbo. My t70 is already rattly as hell and probably doin the same thing thats why I went new to find that throwin oil straight to em tends to do just that.

Also do you still have AC? Cuz I might wanna flip mine around with the new one before I build my exhaust now....

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Dude amazing on the rocker tool. But try a restrictor in that turbo. My t70 is already rattly as hell and probably doin the same thing thats why I went new to find that throwin oil straight to em tends to do just that.

Also do you still have AC? Cuz I might wanna flip mine around with the new one before I build my exhaust now....
I just restricted mine from -4 down to -3. How far did you go? I have so much oil pressure that I'm kinda scared about fracturing my oil pump gears. I should put the stock spring back in.

AC is gone which is the big downside to my exhaust routing. Part of me wishes I kept that all in tact, but it makes a lot of stuff easier to do. I didn't really think about it, but that tool I made may not work too well with an HVAC box in the way. You should see how complicated I made THAT job! I still wanted factory heat. lol

1612651289767.png

Thread Info