4th Gen Camaro Line Lock Wiring - The RIGHT way.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Sorry (super popular line lock kit company), your kit is too trashy even for my free car.

Okay, that might have come off a little snobby. In fact, I am not in any way above this kind of hackery. I've made a lot of modifications to cars of which I am not too proud, but if I'm spending the money on a kit that is supposedly made specifically for my year, make, and model I expect much better.

Here is said free Camaro with the line lock already plumbed in. I was already upset at this point because none of this fit very well, and the flares were not made properly.
Line lock 2 2-20.jpg

Pardon the rust hole right under the solenoid mounting tab. I promise that I'm not counting this against the fitment. :LOL:

Now it's time for wiring which I have yet to see a nice write-up. Once again, I am very disappointed in the kit. It comes with a very cute little switch, a pretty nice momentary button/LED combo that goes in place of the cigar lighter, a fuse without a holder, and a bunch of junk that would probably get me written up if I ever attempted to use at my job.
Junk from line lock kit.jpg

This is unacceptable in my opinion. Like I said, the button seems really nice. However, part of the reason I'm doing the line lock is because I want to do sweet burnouts in my STICK SHIFT car! I suppose, they expect me to let go of the wheel, lean over to the button with my left hand and shift with the right? No thanks. I've got a better idea for that.

This leaves me with basically nothing, so I drew the circuit how I wanted it and got to work. Normally I wouldn't care much about this car, but the whole purpose of it was to learn new skills so that I don't screw up nice cars. Besides, the coronavirus has left me with nothing but time. I'm going to try to make this look like a factory option.

Let's pull the shifter handle off again, and investigate a bit.
Shifter handle removed 2.jpg

The shifter handle should help make this easy. It's hollow inside which will be awesome for running wires to a button. I'll probably have to drill a hole toward the bottom so that they have somewhere to exit, but its better than running the wires along the outside.
Hollow shifter handle.jpg

That's about all I need to prove my concept inside. Now I can get under the hood. Look what sits right next to my solenoid! My car came with exactly one option, so my fuse and relay boxes are pretty empty. Instead of adding an aftermarket fuse and relay holder, why not add to what's already here?
Fuse and relay center removed.jpg

This depinning tool is made specifically for GM connections, and I am so happy to have it. It's cheap, and makes this type of work so much easier.
GM depinning tool.jpg

...or so I thought. Patience is key. Speaking of keys, there are usually a lot of them on these fuse/relay centers. If something is stuck, don't force it! In addition to the many tabs that hold a fuse block in place there are keys that hold the terminals in place even if a depinning tool is inserted. It's kind of redundant, but it's there.
Terminal key.jpg

After that's removed it might still be a pain to get out. Look closely. You may be missing something.
GM depinning tool trouble.jpg

Yep... That's a little odd. But it probably saved GM a dollar in wire and processes for crimping two extra wires which is huge when you're mass producing these things.
Fuse terminals depinned.jpg

Since I do not have fog lights I will use it's relay holder to control the line lock circuit. I think that solenoid it going to draw too much current for a little switch and button. Since I won't have the led on the button like the original, I would like to add a small indicator on the dash. I think the way I have poorly drawn it will work nicely, but the LED complicates things a bit. I'm not sure where I'll get its power yet or if I should get it all from the same place and put an other fuse for the LED and control side of the relay.

Line lock diagram 2.png

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I already ran into my first snag. Identifying these crimp terminals is a real pain. I think I've narrowed them down to being a Metri-pack 208 series, but that tells me very little. The trouble is that I'm only finding results that specify that they are lock tangless or don't say one way or another. I need the lock tangs! I may need to talk to my coworker who has spent a lot more time on Mouser.com.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I finally found a part number for tanged terminals. I bought some Metri-Pack 280 Series #12129493. These are not an exact mach, but I have a feeling that an exact match is not going to be possible to find. They appear to be a design that is made specifically for this fuse block but share the important characteristics of the ones I bought. I guess we'll find out in a few days.

For those who don't know, Metri-pack is a line of connectors made by Delphi which was taken over by Aptiv. The series refers to the width of the terminal in millimeters times 100. Therefore, a 280 series is 2.8mm wide which means it should hold mini blade fuse perfectly.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
So much for the "right" way, but sometimes we do what has to be done. I hate drilling new holes for wires when there's almost always a nicer way in. This time the bulkhead right next to my hole is filled with some sort of resin. I could yank the entire wire harness out just to send two wires through, but that would be ridiculous. This car is still a beater to me, and I'm not scared to drill holes. I'm just scared of vampire connectors!

The blue is painters tape since I was going to put a little paint on the metal.
Passthrough 1.jpg

Painted, greased up, grommeted, and wires running in!
Passthrough 2.jpg

Those terminals I found on eBay were a great match! They have the locking tangs and slide into the fuse block very easily despite not being as long as the originals. They are going to work for both the mini fuses and the relay.
Terminal match 1.jpg
Terminal match 2.jpg

Terminal match 3.jpg

These ratcheting crimpers are expensive, but I highly recommend them. They make life easy.
Crimpers.jpg

The relay terminals have their own key.
Relay key.jpg

It makes a sweet pick for my perm!
Comb!.jpg

Excuse my crappy wire lengths. It shouldn't be noticeable once everything is back together anyway.
Fuse block complete 4-20.jpg

Fuses and relays installed.jpg

That's all for now. I'm still deciding where I want to put the toggle switch and whether or not I want to use the one in the kit. It's pretty small and looks dumb IMO. I'm open for suggestions.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I started putting things back together and had a minor snag.
Key won't reenter.jpg

I just had to stick a small screwdriver in there and bend terminal a little bit.
Key won't reenter 2.jpg

I mean.... The fuse and relay center doesn't look good when it's stock, so I'm not going to say it looks good now. However, I don't think I made it look any worse!
Fuse block reinstalled 4-20.jpg

For now, a little painters tape with black and silver sharpie will suffice.
Fuse block relabeled.jpg

That concludes the fuse block portion of this project. I'm just waiting on a Summit order to come in so that I can finish the rest!

Reactions: GTPpower

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Oh baby! It's been a looooong time since I've had cup holders! :love: It's quite surreal having the car officially back in one piece as well. I'm super proud of how well this turned out. The shift knob is a Summit brand and I do not regret it one bit. It's the cheapest I could find, weighs more than stock, has a nice finish, and the momentary switch has that satisfying spring and click that everybody wants in a button. The LED is very small, but has a very noticable shine when it's on, and that's exactly what I wanted! ...at least that is until the idea of tying it into the IP brake light came across my mind. Oh well. Check it out! It's all operational.
Making a switch plate.jpg
Switch plate 1.jpg

Center console installed 4-20.jpg

Now I just need to finish the hidden switch plate.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Getting the "ABS Inop" and "Brake" lights to go away might be a chore. Pulling the bulbs isn't as easy as it used to be, and the write-ups I've seen for grounding certain pins on the module connector supposedly only apply to F-bodies up to '98. I'm going to do some research, and break out this cheap tool I got just cuz.
Tech 2.jpg

I think an hour or two of sifting through diagrams in the manual will get me the info I need to do this right. I'd still like normal functions of the "Brake" light because I'm always paranoid that my park brake is still on!

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
The Tech 2 is useless here since I can no longer communicate with the chassis.

The reason I questioned everyone saying that the '99 - '02 cannot have it's lights fooled is because nobody I read this from gave a solid reason. Allow me!

The later cars incorporate the ABS into the Class 2 serial data line. Removing the module disrupts this signal and prompts the IP to illuminate a couple lights. There is nothing you can ground out or trick the car into thinking that the ABS module is still there. The easiest way would be to reinstall ABS! The whole "right way" title is starting to back fire on me because what I'm actually about to show you is how to do the wrong thing the right way.

Some people will ask "Why not just pull the bulbs?"

You can pull on them all you want but they aren't coming out that easy. They're soldered in. I could desolder them, but I would then be concerned about the IP not working right anymore or throwing a check engine light. So what is the the absolute most hack way to do this? Electrical tape!

First blow up your IP, but not in the kitchen. Your SO will be PISSED.
IP disassembled 1.jpeg

That's better
IP disassembled 2.jpg

Be careful removing the face from the IP. It is glued on. The needles can be pulled straight off but a plastic trim puller is helpful for those.

You can identify where your tape needs to go by holding the face up to the light. Then just cover the back side accordingly.
Electrical Tape Mod 1.jpg
Electrical Tape Mod 2.jpg

Electrical Tape Mod 3.jpg

NICE! It's like those lights never existed. I ended up covering a bunch of lights I'm not using anymore.
Electrical Tape Mod 4.jpg

So you can try all you want to mark the needles before you remove them, but I think its darn near impossible on this cluster. I just threw them on as close as I could and crossed my fingers. No dice. I was way off on most of them. The Tech 2 would have worked for this I guess, but my computer was already hooked up.

Electrical Tape Mod 5.jpg

much better! I think that's about it for this thread. Is it THE right way? Eh. It could be better, but it beats what the kit provided me by a country mile.

Reactions: GTPpower
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• v6buicks
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list