🔧 BUILD LAME Turbo V6 Camaro

General Information

Hello! Welcome to the shit show! I am updating this post in 2021 to explain what new readers are about to witness. If I knew that this thread and build were going to explode into what it is today, I would have started it out a lot different.

This car was (and still is) a basket case. The whole inspiration for starting this project was to start learning how to modify engines in a car that I didn't like. That way, if and when I screwed up, I wouldn't be ruining a nice car. It spiraled out of control from the first moment that I felt boost. I loved what I had created, but it took a ton of work to get to where I was. As soon as I got the car running nicely I was always saying "I'm going to fix______, and THEN I'll just enjoy driving it." You know the drill. Drive, break, fix, repeat! Before I knew it, I enjoyed driving and working on this turd more than the nice car I was trying to preserve!

The point is that the focus of this thread shifts A LOT. To complicate matters, I never have just one ongoing project open at a time. I listed some thread contents with links below. I will update this as new milestones or big updates happen. Just know that even if you click on the shortcut, you may have to scroll past other project posts to reveal the outcome. There are also some mini-projects and very helpful advice from other members in between, so read the whole dang thing if you want!

2018-2019
1. A late introduction
2. Discovering how a PCV works (and plugging it)
3. Custom grill for intercooler
4. Fuel pump trap door
5. Learning that I'll never learn anything from my goofy wide band gauge
6. Deleting AC completely, but retaining heat
7. Low profile heater hose fittings
8. Deleting an air bag without setting a light on the dash
9. Starting a second round of floor repairs
10. ABS delete and line lock installation
- A separate thread for the electrons
11. Installing catch cans with nice brackets (Way overkill)
12. Figuring out the "blow by" problem once and for all (F-body intake plug)
13. Second clutch job, first rear cover job, and preliminary transmission swap research
14. Floors are "done", and Interior is installed.
15. I don't know how to tune, but this wide band might help.
16. Poly trans mount. Yeah, it actually deserves a link.
17. I waved the tuning white flag. Dyno Brian sets me straight!
18. T5 Pro5.0 shifter
19. New shifter was too much fun. OG T5 explodes, and my transmission conversion ideas start to get serious.
-TKX conversion
-TKX swap official write-up
20. Reconfiguring my exhaust for a quieter and less leaky future
21. I'm not done enjoying this car for the year, so I install a $100 T5 instead of a bulletproof conversion. SPOILER ALERT: It only lasts two months.
22. Minor repairs/updates that make the car livable (lighting, stereo, speedometer re-zero, and a clutch master cylinder that actually does it's job!)
23. Wheels and addressing rust again since I got time!
24. Custom center caps
25. 1.9 roller rockers and LS6 springs
26. CAI V2.0
27. TKX is delayed so it's time to address the little annoyances.
-OE pan is junk. Dorman pan gets hot rodded
28. TKX is still delayed, so I install just one poly engine mount and beef up my flimsy turbo drain plumbing
29. TKX does NOT ship the following Monday. Flywheel bolts upgraded to ARP M10 x 1.0
30. When you're on a Chinese garbage budget, you better be ready to work harder. (Oil drain fitting hot rodding)
31. Finally repairing the oil sender pig tail, replacing the other engine mount, and test fitting the TKX.
32. Finally addressing rear brake lines while I wait for more transmission parts.
33. Modifying an ICM for a WOT box
34. Dash gets re-instrumented so that diagnostics become possible.
35. N2MB WOT box
36. Porked crank key. PSA: Be careful installing your balancer!
37. Car runs great after plug change, but the rear main seal needs to be changed again.
38. BURNOUT! Also, I kinda bought a cam.
39. Turbo drain finale (better be) and full exhaust commenced
40. Downpipe V3 and BMR strut tower brace
41. Panhard bar and relocation for bro truck exhaust
42. Muffler, driveshaft, torque arm, and giving up smoking.
43. First trip to the GS Nationals (feat. time slip)
44. The very custom AC project is born
45. New dyno results (up 50 hp!)
46. Exhaust hanger repair before Michigan/S.S. Badger/Wisconsin trip
47. Sizing a better turbo
48. Painting but still not installing the IS3 heads and Monster clutch unboxing
49. Firewall brace
50. New ECM
51. Out of storage and SC engine buy failure #3
52. Modified double roller and spitballing crankcase evac ideas
53. Completing the rear suspension. UMI rear control arms.
54. Cracked headers and L32 swap begins
55. My newest L32 was trash. I'm upgrading the L36 instead
56. Side project: The ultimate-ish intake manifold takes shape

Now back to 2018!
1688935182526.png

Now that this car is running and driving, I figured I would start a thread dedicated to all the questions I’m about to pummel this group with. This is the first time I've really built anything to move quicker than stock, so I'm hoping to learn a lot from you guys before I make unnecessary mistakes. I also have a thread in the Turbobuick.com 3800 section, but I'm not getting as much input there due to a lack of audience. Here goes nothing...

The car I have is a 2002 Camaro with only ONE factory option (rear window defogger). The story supposedly goes that my buddy's dad was looking forever for a new Camaro because he never buys anything for a penny more than the best deal. He almost ran out of time as this was the final model year for the F-body, and '03s were already on the market. The dealer from which he found this car bought it for the sole purpose of being able to advertise "Brand new Camaros for under $10k", so this was the one he took home.

Fast forward to 2018. The car was structurally a wreck from living in the rust belt, but has a great interior, okay black paint, a third pedal, a 3800 (which is a plus in my book), and a lot of sentimental value since I remember riding in it when it was brand new. My buddy’s dad handed me the keys in hopes that I would enjoy it and make it a race car. To be honest, I don’t care for F-bodies, but I couldn't resist this one for the reasons above despite knowing that the floors were in desperate need of existing again.

I already had my dream car which is a 1986 Buick Regal Grand National. As much as I love that car, I like it the way it is in fairly stock form and modifying Buicks has gotten terribly expensive anyway. I figured a black 3800 Camaro could easily fulfill my childhood dreams of racing a badass turbo Buick V6 car while being on a budget, so here I am.

The car is now equipped with:
-6765 ebay turbo
-Precision PW40 wastegate
-Custom turbo exhaust utilizing a stock Camaro and FWD manifolds
-Air to air ebay intercooler
-AEM 50-1200 fuel pump
-Siemens Deka 80# fuel injectors
-Open 3” downpipe
-Custom 3” charge pipes
-Intense mail order tune
-Very ugly but functional upright radiator conversion (the core support was all just rust anyway) :dunno:
-Custom space saving AC delete without bypass pulley
-Midwest Chassis bumper support modified to mount my intercooler
-Spec Stage 1 clutch kit

The car is far from refined and has a lot of little issues to sort out, but I will leave the first post as sort of an introduction to that. I hope you enjoy hearing about it. It’s been fun to build!

Cgge0Pb.jpg

uapwiw2.jpg

08tL6Rj.jpg

7zXNhuZ.jpg

PVLQyzg.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I found this diamond in the rough a few weeks ago and made it mine. I'm probably going to make the hideous paint job a powder coaters problem.

It's an SN95 Mustang 8.8 housing with all the F-body brackets welded on. It's not widened or converted to F-body brakes, and I like it this way. The Mustang is about 2" narrower than the F-body which is perfect. I can run a wheel with a more favorable offset, and the wheels I currently have should work with an off-the-shelf adapter spacer. I can also use off the shelf Mustang axles and brakes which makes the whole operation pretty cheap and easy. I may have to get crafty with the e-brake cables, but I don't necessarily need that either.
1689180335624.png

That's a very low priority project though, so forget about it for now.
1689180867475.png

1689180875385.png

1689180882870.png

1689180894561.png

1689180913071.png

ZZP modified lifters.
1689180950427.png

Luckily they were cool enough to take theses back and and overnight a new set on their dime with an envelope full of stickers and badges. They obviously felt bad about the situation, so I won't knock them for this one. The new set looks a lot better, but the rollers on both sets are a little catchy. I don't know if this is bad or if it will go away with oil pressure. I just know the original lifters I pulled out feel silky smooth.
1689181279319.png

Mopar 440 cam bearing slammed in.
1689181302113.png

Test fitting the Rollmaster. Chain is nice and tight.
1689181341194.png

It fits close to the block too! Jason Farnsworth is the man if you want your crank gear chamfered.
1689181369282.png

He did spray everything with cosmoline before shipping it back, but the rubber band stuck to it and kinda melted itself to the chain. I was able to pick most of the fragments out, but I'm hoping the rest will dissolve in the solvent tank.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I didn't know people did 8.8 conversions for F-bodies. Guess they do em for everything else. The welding on the housing is kind of surprising, I'd have thought that they'd do a bolt on with the cover bolts.

I'm guessing that's a balance shaft delete? Looks easy enough to do.
Yep. There's a guy on Facebook who sells the fab kit for $100. It's slick, but not something I'm interested in tackling myself or even finding somebody to do it for me. It would realistically cost me another $100 to farm out and $100 for the Mustang rear. At $300, I'd say this housing was a decent deal. Hawks sells bolt-in 8.8s for 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies with all sorts of different options available, so I went to price one out. Holllllllyy smokes have the prices gone up! Housings alone are over $1000. A turnkey unit was well over $3000, so I snagged this thing instead. I still likely won't build it myself, but I can at least nickel and dime it as I go.

I know a lot of newbs think I'm wasting time and effort by not going straight to a 9". Those MFers are HEAVY and put some decent drag on the driveline. For what? The 8.8 will not add much drag or weight over the 10-bolt and can be built to withstand more than I can throw at it.

Yep. Remove gears, mangle/remove the super tight c-clip from the roller bearing side, and pull the assembly out. The original rear bearing has a groove on the block side so that it can be rotated in any orientation. This is why you need a 440 Mopar cam bearing. It has the same OD but without the groove. Now the top end can get some more oil pressure. The front roller bearing is just splash oiled by the gears and timing chain, so that hole is left alone.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I'll say this, IMO the huge advantage of a 9" is the setup. Dealing with this 8.25 ChryCo is a pain in the balls. You just pop the pinion out on a 9, throw some different shims in and you're done. Easy. The OEM configurations are pretty nice too overall, but I think that if your'e changing much of anything that goes out the window at some level.

I did a 9" in the Astro, would probably have done an 8.8 but they weren't the thing back when I did mine up.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'll say this, IMO the huge advantage of a 9" is the setup. Dealing with this 8.25 ChryCo is a pain in the balls. You just pop the pinion out on a 9, throw some different shims in and you're done. Easy. The OEM configurations are pretty nice too overall, but I think that if your'e changing much of anything that goes out the window at some level.

I did a 9" in the Astro, would probably have done an 8.8 but they weren't the thing back when I did mine up.
I considered this at first, but I've long since realized that I will not be changing gears out regularly if ever. It will be set once by somebody else and forgotten.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Working in the garage was getting pretty miserable, and I still had a goal of bringing the GN back to the garage once the GTP shit was out of the way. I cut up the original K-member and loaded up the Volvo with several hundred pounds of scrap. Maybe I'll get a nice $10 bill.
PXL_20230715_181344734.jpg

Now I can continue working.
PXL_20230715_175850234.MP.jpg

PXL_20230715_180455836.jpg

PXL_20230716_185327668.jpg

PXL_20230716_185729262.jpg

I love me a good rebuild. I degreased and wire wheeled as much of the block as I could. The knock sensors were pulled out. I don't think new ones are necessary, but knock sensors were one of the only things that Dyno Brian suggested me to change before coming back. I might as well humor him while I have the engine out.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
You've all seen first-hand how I will grab an idea totally unprompted until I realize it's way too much work/money. Today I'm revisiting one from about page 89 of this thread because those old problems remain while the opportunity to fix them has changed dramatically.

Ignition! The engine is out and the harness is going to get pulled apart for modifications, so it seems like a great time to pick at this now much lower hanging fruit. I do want to keep it relatively cheap and simple though. MSD is too pricey and the dual ICM mod seems like a big pain in the ass to do nicely for pretty few benefits, so I looked again at the CNP conversion.

I'm slightly daunted by the lack of pictures and directions, but I think this will be a nice bridge before swapping the ECM out for a Holley (if I ever get around to that). turtleman turtleman Turbocharged400sbc Turbocharged400sbc is the CNP working on the PA just fine? It seems like a pretty slick set-up. I like that the N2MB would only need to interrupt the trigger as opposed to actual coil ground. ICM seems to be undisturbed.

I think it would be a real shame to finally get this thing ready for the dyno and it either doesn't run because I botch the CNP wiring or had to run a .020" plug gap with terrible idle quality because I didn't do anything.

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
The wiring is pretty easy. It's mostly a matter of how nice you want to spend time making it.
I pretty much got the plugs and did all fresh wiring but you could mod a stock harness to get it done faster.
You'll want to have a good dedicated fused voltage feed and ground for the coils of course.
The queen and el tortuga have been using D581 coils and they're great.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
The wiring is pretty easy. It's mostly a matter of how nice you want to spend time making it.
I pretty much got the plugs and did all fresh wiring but you could mod a stock harness to get it done faster.
You'll want to have a good dedicated fused voltage feed and ground for the coils of course.
The queen and el tortuga have been using D581 coils and they're great.
Oh man, I really like this....

I suppose I could keep my ICM in the stock Camaro location, but it also seems like a waste of good space. The same could be said about my strut tower bar, but if I weld coil brackets and wire them up with a single connector I think I'd have a pretty slick piece. ICT billet makes LS coil brackets that can easily be shortened down to hold only three coils. Me likey.

It's way out of order but I emailed Dynamic EFI about getting a type 2 interface kit. I really need to get rid of the Comp G and turn my Camaro into a roller again, but this is too cool.

Reactions: sktchy

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I talked to Bob at Dynamic EFI and bought his last interface for type 2 ICMs. I have no idea if he's making more, but I'm guessing the only real difference is wire colors and the terminals used to connect. Everything else should be the same.

Since you can't get a nice box for these like the type 1s, I'm considering moving the ICM to somewhere behind the dash. I don't think there's any reason to have it under the hood or in a cool place since it shouldn't really be under a load anymore or have coils bolted directly on top of it. The CNPs have power coming from their own source so the ICM and interface would be only a brain. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
I talked to Bob at Dynamic EFI and bought his last interface for type 2 ICMs. I have no idea if he's making more, but I'm guessing the only real difference is wire colors and the terminals used to connect. Everything else should be the same.

Since you can't get a nice box for these like the type 1s, I'm considering moving the ICM to somewhere behind the dash. I don't think there's any reason to have it under the hood or in a cool place since it shouldn't really be under a load anymore or have coils bolted directly on top of it. The CNPs have power coming from their own source so the ICM and interface would be only a brain. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

That's true but it'd add lot of wiring labor, moving the ICM inside the car. It might be fine but extending the raw crank/cam signal wires wouldn't be something i'd choose to do. After spending a good amount of time trying to tap in for rpm signals and whatnot, I experienced the trouble with delicate signal circuits. I'd probably use shielded wiring and stuff for extending that at least.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
My thing is coil on plug seems great in theory, and I can see it being practical at higher boost levels, but does it actually makes these ignition systems less problematic? Because if it does I may just bite the bullet at some point. But if it doesn't I dont really wanna add to the bs and I think in my case I'd have a hell of a time finding wires and/or figuring out coil placement without cooking the hell out of them like everything else.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
My thing is coil on plug seems great in theory, and I can see it being practical at higher boost levels, but does it actually makes these ignition systems less problematic? Because if it does I may just bite the bullet at some point. But if it doesn't I dont really wanna add to the bs and I think in my case I'd have a hell of a time finding wires and/or figuring out coil placement without cooking the hell out of them like everything else.
I'd say pick your poison. In my case, I want to run 10s and continue running this thing on the street, so my ignition will probably need some help. If staying at 10-15 psi with stock heads and just cruising around is your goal then stock is better. I'm not exactly excited to diagnose any issues I may introduce, but I'm excited to not worry about my limits once it's working.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
See that's where I'd probably lean towards just doing a Holley or just stacking the Icms for the fire you want at the plugs. But when every time I turn around I cook somethin else I definitely have a bias on the subject.

You have better luck than I do though so it'll probably work fine for you lol

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
See that's where I'd probably lean towards just doing a Holley or just stacking the Icms for the fire you want at the plugs. But when every time I turn around I cook somethin else I definitely have a bias on the subject.

You have better luck than I do though so it'll probably work fine for you lol
Holley is the big bucks and a lot of variables. ICM stacking looks like a PITA with seemingly little value. I'm going to end up doing harness mods to strip anything I don't need and add the WOT box so I figured this wasn't going to be too big of a step up.

As far as the ICM stacking, it's the additional heat in the assembly and packaging it to make it look nice that turned me off. Idk if I can make it look good or keep it reliable.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
If anybody can you can. I just don't understand how you get away with what yours does without having the heat issues I do. I can't imagine my pipes put out that much more heat than yours in that sense and I don't think there's anything I haven't cooked and had to replace at this point.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
If anybody can you can. I just don't understand how you get away with what yours does without having the heat issues I do. I can't imagine my pipes put out that much more heat than yours in that sense and I don't think there's anything I haven't cooked and had to replace at this point.
I'd have to look at yours a little closer. E85 helps. I have none of the factory cooling ducts to the radiator since I tilted it upright and they no longer fit. I cut the mouth out of the bumper for more air flow to my intercooler though so there's that. My hot side is built using factory manifolds which are ceramic painted and wrapped. It really doesn't get insanely hot under the hood no matter how hard I'm beating on it.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I was busy working on stuff yesterday, but only made miniscule proxy progress on the Camaro. I need a crank holding tool because I don't know of a sloid way to torque the cam bolt without possibly breaking a flywheel tooth.
1691413863799.png

I had a stock L67 flex plate in the basement that I knew I'd never use for anything, so it got chopped up. My initial plan was to have it bolt in place of the starter, but I'm going to mount it in place of the bellhousing instead. I think it will be a lot stronger that way, and it won't fit with the transmission attached anyway.

Thread Info