🔧 BUILD LAME Turbo V6 Camaro

General Information

Hello! Welcome to the shit show! I am updating this post in 2021 to explain what new readers are about to witness. If I knew that this thread and build were going to explode into what it is today, I would have started it out a lot different.

This car was (and still is) a basket case. The whole inspiration for starting this project was to start learning how to modify engines in a car that I didn't like. That way, if and when I screwed up, I wouldn't be ruining a nice car. It spiraled out of control from the first moment that I felt boost. I loved what I had created, but it took a ton of work to get to where I was. As soon as I got the car running nicely I was always saying "I'm going to fix______, and THEN I'll just enjoy driving it." You know the drill. Drive, break, fix, repeat! Before I knew it, I enjoyed driving and working on this turd more than the nice car I was trying to preserve!

The point is that the focus of this thread shifts A LOT. To complicate matters, I never have just one ongoing project open at a time. I listed some thread contents with links below. I will update this as new milestones or big updates happen. Just know that even if you click on the shortcut, you may have to scroll past other project posts to reveal the outcome. There are also some mini-projects and very helpful advice from other members in between, so read the whole dang thing if you want!

2018-2019
1. A late introduction
2. Discovering how a PCV works (and plugging it)
3. Custom grill for intercooler
4. Fuel pump trap door
5. Learning that I'll never learn anything from my goofy wide band gauge
6. Deleting AC completely, but retaining heat
7. Low profile heater hose fittings
8. Deleting an air bag without setting a light on the dash
9. Starting a second round of floor repairs
10. ABS delete and line lock installation
- A separate thread for the electrons
11. Installing catch cans with nice brackets (Way overkill)
12. Figuring out the "blow by" problem once and for all (F-body intake plug)
13. Second clutch job, first rear cover job, and preliminary transmission swap research
14. Floors are "done", and Interior is installed.
15. I don't know how to tune, but this wide band might help.
16. Poly trans mount. Yeah, it actually deserves a link.
17. I waved the tuning white flag. Dyno Brian sets me straight!
18. T5 Pro5.0 shifter
19. New shifter was too much fun. OG T5 explodes, and my transmission conversion ideas start to get serious.
-TKX conversion
-TKX swap official write-up
20. Reconfiguring my exhaust for a quieter and less leaky future
21. I'm not done enjoying this car for the year, so I install a $100 T5 instead of a bulletproof conversion. SPOILER ALERT: It only lasts two months.
22. Minor repairs/updates that make the car livable (lighting, stereo, speedometer re-zero, and a clutch master cylinder that actually does it's job!)
23. Wheels and addressing rust again since I got time!
24. Custom center caps
25. 1.9 roller rockers and LS6 springs
26. CAI V2.0
27. TKX is delayed so it's time to address the little annoyances.
-OE pan is junk. Dorman pan gets hot rodded
28. TKX is still delayed, so I install just one poly engine mount and beef up my flimsy turbo drain plumbing
29. TKX does NOT ship the following Monday. Flywheel bolts upgraded to ARP M10 x 1.0
30. When you're on a Chinese garbage budget, you better be ready to work harder. (Oil drain fitting hot rodding)
31. Finally repairing the oil sender pig tail, replacing the other engine mount, and test fitting the TKX.
32. Finally addressing rear brake lines while I wait for more transmission parts.
33. Modifying an ICM for a WOT box
34. Dash gets re-instrumented so that diagnostics become possible.
35. N2MB WOT box
36. Porked crank key. PSA: Be careful installing your balancer!
37. Car runs great after plug change, but the rear main seal needs to be changed again.
38. BURNOUT! Also, I kinda bought a cam.
39. Turbo drain finale (better be) and full exhaust commenced
40. Downpipe V3 and BMR strut tower brace
41. Panhard bar and relocation for bro truck exhaust
42. Muffler, driveshaft, torque arm, and giving up smoking.
43. First trip to the GS Nationals (feat. time slip)
44. The very custom AC project is born
45. New dyno results (up 50 hp!)
46. Exhaust hanger repair before Michigan/S.S. Badger/Wisconsin trip
47. Sizing a better turbo
48. Painting but still not installing the IS3 heads and Monster clutch unboxing
49. Firewall brace
50. New ECM
51. Out of storage and SC engine buy failure #3
52. Modified double roller and spitballing crankcase evac ideas
53. Completing the rear suspension. UMI rear control arms.
54. Cracked headers and L32 swap begins
55. My newest L32 was trash. I'm upgrading the L36 instead
56. Side project: The ultimate-ish intake manifold takes shape

Now back to 2018!
1688935182526.png

Now that this car is running and driving, I figured I would start a thread dedicated to all the questions I’m about to pummel this group with. This is the first time I've really built anything to move quicker than stock, so I'm hoping to learn a lot from you guys before I make unnecessary mistakes. I also have a thread in the Turbobuick.com 3800 section, but I'm not getting as much input there due to a lack of audience. Here goes nothing...

The car I have is a 2002 Camaro with only ONE factory option (rear window defogger). The story supposedly goes that my buddy's dad was looking forever for a new Camaro because he never buys anything for a penny more than the best deal. He almost ran out of time as this was the final model year for the F-body, and '03s were already on the market. The dealer from which he found this car bought it for the sole purpose of being able to advertise "Brand new Camaros for under $10k", so this was the one he took home.

Fast forward to 2018. The car was structurally a wreck from living in the rust belt, but has a great interior, okay black paint, a third pedal, a 3800 (which is a plus in my book), and a lot of sentimental value since I remember riding in it when it was brand new. My buddy’s dad handed me the keys in hopes that I would enjoy it and make it a race car. To be honest, I don’t care for F-bodies, but I couldn't resist this one for the reasons above despite knowing that the floors were in desperate need of existing again.

I already had my dream car which is a 1986 Buick Regal Grand National. As much as I love that car, I like it the way it is in fairly stock form and modifying Buicks has gotten terribly expensive anyway. I figured a black 3800 Camaro could easily fulfill my childhood dreams of racing a badass turbo Buick V6 car while being on a budget, so here I am.

The car is now equipped with:
-6765 ebay turbo
-Precision PW40 wastegate
-Custom turbo exhaust utilizing a stock Camaro and FWD manifolds
-Air to air ebay intercooler
-AEM 50-1200 fuel pump
-Siemens Deka 80# fuel injectors
-Open 3” downpipe
-Custom 3” charge pipes
-Intense mail order tune
-Very ugly but functional upright radiator conversion (the core support was all just rust anyway) :dunno:
-Custom space saving AC delete without bypass pulley
-Midwest Chassis bumper support modified to mount my intercooler
-Spec Stage 1 clutch kit

The car is far from refined and has a lot of little issues to sort out, but I will leave the first post as sort of an introduction to that. I hope you enjoy hearing about it. It’s been fun to build!

Cgge0Pb.jpg

uapwiw2.jpg

08tL6Rj.jpg

7zXNhuZ.jpg

PVLQyzg.jpg

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
There should be about 1/2" to 3/4" of free play in the clutch, someone might have been adjusting it to help a worn out clutch in it's past? BUT a high release point is what you want in a sports car, but again, you need that minimum travel before the clutch starts to release.

As for your crankcase pressure, I am not sure where you're at with that or what questions you've asked/had answered already?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
There should be about 1/2" to 3/4" of free play in the clutch, someone might have been adjusting it to help a worn out clutch in it's past? BUT a high release point is what you want in a sports car, but again, you need that minimum travel before the clutch starts to release.

As for your crankcase pressure, I am not sure where you're at with that or what questions you've asked/had answered already?

Interesting. That's possible. I actually don't recall any free play in the pedal, but I can check for sure when I get home. Even if there wasn't I don't know how I would go about changing that on a hydraulic system.

I don't really remember what questions I asked either. It seemed to be decided that I just need a good catch can and vents because my static compression numbers are good. I have some new in box NOS aluminum valve covers that I plan to drill out and weld -12AN bungs on to. Then I'll run two hoses from each valve cover to a Moroso breather tank with two fittings on it. What I'm not sure about is whether I then need to retain the stock PCV or plug it? I don't see it being an issue either way, but I figure I'll have less oil going to the catch can if I keep the PCV. What do you think?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Do you have a breather on the valve cover? In replaces the stock oil cap, some people run two of the front valve covers so there's a vent on each side.

View attachment 43761

I have one, but I took it off because it was making a huge mess. Obviously that was the wrong choice! Does it make sense that when I still had it installed that I blew out my dipstick? Maybe I just needed the one on the other side?

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
I've had the same issue with the SSEi and my truck - those vent oil cap things catch the oil mist, saturates the filter element, then starts dripping/blowing the oil mist everywhere.

I thought I had given some good advice about the PCV stuff. No need to plug or bypass the stock PCV system. Just check valves and the catch can / breather. I want to say I have one of these lying around somewhere that has a very low pressure opening force (flows very easily in one direction, then blocks back flow just as easily): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J64ZQX6/?tag=tcg21-20

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
It doesn't make sense, and you said your PCV is working? Is it backwards?

PCV is new, but a junky aftermarket unit. I was hoping I would be able to use the "HD" Grand National PCV made by RJC, but it does not fit the same way. It's hard to explain without pictures. Honestly, I don't notice any difference between a confirmed blocked PCV with JB weld and a working one anyway. The only better choice I can find is an OEM GN PCV, but they're no longer available so I don't want to rely on something unsustainable.

I've had the same issue with the SSEi and my truck - those vent oil cap things catch the oil mist, saturates the filter element, then starts dripping/blowing the oil mist everywhere.

I thought I had given some good advice about the PCV stuff. No need to plug or bypass the stock PCV system. Just check valves and the catch can / breather. I want to say I have one of these lying around somewhere that has a very low pressure opening force (flows very easily in one direction, then blocks back flow just as easily): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J64ZQX6/?tag=tcg21-20

This was my idea behind my breather. There's no way that it's not just completely blocked full of oil. That single might hold just enough pressure to pop the dipstick.

I'm not saying your advice was bad. I just haven't made the time or money to nicely install a good catch can due to more pressing issues with both this car and others. The only good way I can picture installing one in the Camaro is with an AC delete firewall plate. I was hoping not to open that can of worms for a while, but I might now. I still don't think I understand the point of the check valve though. I can get check valves easy enough, but I don't understand the need to check either direction. Blocking the crank case pressure defeats the point, and blocking vacuum seems silly because its all going to to get sucked through the PCV anyway?

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
I still don't think I understand the point of the check valve though. I can get check valves easy enough, but I don't understand the need to check either direction. Blocking the crank case pressure defeats the point, and blocking vacuum seems silly because its all going to to get sucked through the PCV anyway?

Ok. Back to the air compressor tank illustration.
Kl6i3qg.jpg

Turbo pressurizes the entire intake, blow by pressurizes the crankcase. Air has nowhere to go, so you add ports on the valve covers to a catch can or breather or whatever. Crank case pressure can now exit the block without blowing out your gaskets and seals. However, at idle, air will be drawn in through it (black arrows). This air is unmetered. You need check valves to prevent that air from coming in.

This allows the crankcase to stay at vacuum (flowing air from the non-vac side of the TB through the crankcase then PCV valve) when you're not in boost, retaining PCV function for the 95% of the time operating conditions. Blocking off the PCV valve doesn't do anything. This is the simplest, least effort thing you can do to retain PCV with a turbo and relieve crankcase pressure. It's not a closed system, it's not a complete solution, you need a check valve on the throttle body port still, etc...

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Ok. Back to the air compressor tank illustration.
Kl6i3qg.jpg

Turbo pressurizes the entire intake, blow by pressurizes the crankcase. Air has nowhere to go, so you add ports on the valve covers to a catch can or breather or whatever. Crank case pressure can now exit the block without blowing out your gaskets and seals. However, at idle, air will be drawn in through it (black arrows). This air is unmetered. You need check valves to prevent that air from coming in.

This allows the crankcase to stay at vacuum (flowing air from the non-vac side of the TB through the crankcase then PCV valve) when you're not in boost, retaining PCV function for the 95% of the time operating conditions. Blocking off the PCV valve doesn't do anything. This is the simplest, least effort thing you can do to retain PCV with a turbo and relieve crankcase pressure. It's not a closed system, it's not a complete solution, you need a check valve on the throttle body port still, etc...

Thank you! Sorry to make you repeat yourself. It makes a lot more sense now though. Yeah, the crank case is under vacuum at idle but not actually FLOWING anything unless you put an unchecked vent in the crank case in which fresh air can be drawn in through the PCV and bypassing the MAF. Right? Sorry I'm slow. I don't know why I got so hung up on that.

I didn't think about the size of check valve I would need for -12 hoses though. At $60 a piece plus $100 tank and $50 hose the PCV system might end up being the single most expensive part of the car!

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Small updates:

I started taking care of the hole I made in the back.

Trap door 2 10-19.jpg

trap door 3 10-19.jpg

Trap door 4 10-19.jpg

I'm not entirely proud of this, but it's better than having a huge hole in the floor. It's not weather proof, but I don't think it really needs to be. The tank is tucked in to this area so tight that not much is going to make it through. The carpet will take care of the rest.

I also tossed the PCV plug back in until I get the catch can set-up figured out. The car is running noticeably richer at idle and part-throttle (y) However, the clutch I tossed in at the beginning of the summer is already toast! (n) I'm not sure what to make of that yet. I haven't been particularly hard on it. Yeah, of course the car makes a lot more power than stock, but I have only attempted a 1st gear launch once because the clutch slipped really bad instead of the skinnier than stock tires. Now it slips even if I stab it from a roll. I didn't think there were any shims needed on this car, but I must have set something up incorrectly. I'll add a clutch disk to the list of things to do this winter.

The Buick GS Nationals begin on Wednesday, so my main focus has been on the GN. It doesn't need much, but I always want it to be looking it's best for this event. I actually had plans earlier in the year to invade it with the Camaro because I think the Buick guys would really get a kick out of it. It's a good thing I abandoned those ideas months ago though, because I'd really be scrambling to get it "right" again like I did for Power Tour. Obviously that didn't go to well for me either! It's time to slow down and get things done right.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
What clutch are you running? Just a stocker or something else? Just kind of curious. Making power is a good thing but it has a price.

I'm running this. I didn't want anything too grippy, but I'm thinking I need to upgrade a little more than this.

It probably just needs a disc. My rear main seal is leaking and probably saturated the friction.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I don't think that clutch has enough clamping force for your application. I can't find the specs of TQ each stage can handle, but just looking at them the best one IMO for your car would be the stage 3+ Especially if you're going to eventually take it to the track on some sticky tires, it'll have the clamping force and the bite to slip the clutch on the launch. The one you have now could get smoked with the engine being stock, it's basically the same thing as stock with a little more clamping force.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I don't think that clutch has enough clamping force for your application. I can't find the specs of TQ each stage can handle, but just looking at them the best one IMO for your car would be the stage 3+ Especially if you're going to eventually take it to the track on some sticky tires, it'll have the clamping force and the bite to slip the clutch on the launch. The one you have now could get smoked with the engine being stock, it's basically the same thing as stock with a little more clamping force.
Yeah, it's kinda lame that a lot of these places just post "stage" claims as opposed to real numbers. I usually stay away from those, but in the short time I had to research I wasn't able find anything else. Part of the trouble is having a V6 Camaro application where people are not really building them enough (especially with a T5) to offer much aftermarket upgrade support anyway. Would you recommend sticking with the disc or maybe a 6 puck? Keep in mind that hitting the track is going to be rare for me. Comfort and ease of driving is important for me.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Sorry for this tease of an update... I just felt the need to say that this almost freezing weather in Southern Indiana is awesome when I'm driving the Camaro!

My GN is already in storage because we have salt on the ground, which was supposed to mean that the Camaro gets all the love. Negative. My girlfriend's Volvo 240 decided that now was the ideal time to have a complete braking failure. This was ultra convenient with the garage being completely empty for once, but now shes driving my Volvo and I'm dailying the Camaro. Let's hope that I can knock these lines and calipers out fairly quickly, so that I can get back to the fun stuff. I can't say I've ever sheared the head off a brake line nut before.
Brakes 1.jpg

Brakes 2.jpg

Brakes 3.jpg

Brakes 5.jpg

Brakes 6.jpg

On the bright side, I'm one big leap closer to the girlfriend being fed up with this car and selling it to me. I have 3800 swap mounts ready to go into this thing. :LOL:

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
3800 swap mounts you say?!?! interested lol
Yep! They're solid mounts, but they would work with a little hacking of the Volvo K-member. Modifying the trans crossmember for a 4l60e is cake. The "kit" came with some really junky modified exhaust manifolds with 3-bolt turbo flanges (one of which is now modified by myself to fit the Camaro) and a modified oil pan with two -10 oil returns. However, the builder never actually finished the project and didn't account for the oil pick-up tube which I know doesn't fit. Instead of trying to make a custom oil pick-up I'd rather keep the stock oil capacity and modify the k-member.

Reactions: TurboTJ

Thread Info