🔧 BUILD LAME Turbo V6 Camaro

General Information

Hello! Welcome to the shit show! I am updating this post in 2021 to explain what new readers are about to witness. If I knew that this thread and build were going to explode into what it is today, I would have started it out a lot different.

This car was (and still is) a basket case. The whole inspiration for starting this project was to start learning how to modify engines in a car that I didn't like. That way, if and when I screwed up, I wouldn't be ruining a nice car. It spiraled out of control from the first moment that I felt boost. I loved what I had created, but it took a ton of work to get to where I was. As soon as I got the car running nicely I was always saying "I'm going to fix______, and THEN I'll just enjoy driving it." You know the drill. Drive, break, fix, repeat! Before I knew it, I enjoyed driving and working on this turd more than the nice car I was trying to preserve!

The point is that the focus of this thread shifts A LOT. To complicate matters, I never have just one ongoing project open at a time. I listed some thread contents with links below. I will update this as new milestones or big updates happen. Just know that even if you click on the shortcut, you may have to scroll past other project posts to reveal the outcome. There are also some mini-projects and very helpful advice from other members in between, so read the whole dang thing if you want!

2018-2019
1. A late introduction
2. Discovering how a PCV works (and plugging it)
3. Custom grill for intercooler
4. Fuel pump trap door
5. Learning that I'll never learn anything from my goofy wide band gauge
6. Deleting AC completely, but retaining heat
7. Low profile heater hose fittings
8. Deleting an air bag without setting a light on the dash
9. Starting a second round of floor repairs
10. ABS delete and line lock installation
- A separate thread for the electrons
11. Installing catch cans with nice brackets (Way overkill)
12. Figuring out the "blow by" problem once and for all (F-body intake plug)
13. Second clutch job, first rear cover job, and preliminary transmission swap research
14. Floors are "done", and Interior is installed.
15. I don't know how to tune, but this wide band might help.
16. Poly trans mount. Yeah, it actually deserves a link.
17. I waved the tuning white flag. Dyno Brian sets me straight!
18. T5 Pro5.0 shifter
19. New shifter was too much fun. OG T5 explodes, and my transmission conversion ideas start to get serious.
-TKX conversion
-TKX swap official write-up
20. Reconfiguring my exhaust for a quieter and less leaky future
21. I'm not done enjoying this car for the year, so I install a $100 T5 instead of a bulletproof conversion. SPOILER ALERT: It only lasts two months.
22. Minor repairs/updates that make the car livable (lighting, stereo, speedometer re-zero, and a clutch master cylinder that actually does it's job!)
23. Wheels and addressing rust again since I got time!
24. Custom center caps
25. 1.9 roller rockers and LS6 springs
26. CAI V2.0
27. TKX is delayed so it's time to address the little annoyances.
-OE pan is junk. Dorman pan gets hot rodded
28. TKX is still delayed, so I install just one poly engine mount and beef up my flimsy turbo drain plumbing
29. TKX does NOT ship the following Monday. Flywheel bolts upgraded to ARP M10 x 1.0
30. When you're on a Chinese garbage budget, you better be ready to work harder. (Oil drain fitting hot rodding)
31. Finally repairing the oil sender pig tail, replacing the other engine mount, and test fitting the TKX.
32. Finally addressing rear brake lines while I wait for more transmission parts.
33. Modifying an ICM for a WOT box
34. Dash gets re-instrumented so that diagnostics become possible.
35. N2MB WOT box
36. Porked crank key. PSA: Be careful installing your balancer!
37. Car runs great after plug change, but the rear main seal needs to be changed again.
38. BURNOUT! Also, I kinda bought a cam.
39. Turbo drain finale (better be) and full exhaust commenced
40. Downpipe V3 and BMR strut tower brace
41. Panhard bar and relocation for bro truck exhaust
42. Muffler, driveshaft, torque arm, and giving up smoking.
43. First trip to the GS Nationals (feat. time slip)
44. The very custom AC project is born
45. New dyno results (up 50 hp!)
46. Exhaust hanger repair before Michigan/S.S. Badger/Wisconsin trip
47. Sizing a better turbo
48. Painting but still not installing the IS3 heads and Monster clutch unboxing
49. Firewall brace
50. New ECM
51. Out of storage and SC engine buy failure #3
52. Modified double roller and spitballing crankcase evac ideas
53. Completing the rear suspension. UMI rear control arms.
54. Cracked headers and L32 swap begins
55. My newest L32 was trash. I'm upgrading the L36 instead
56. Side project: The ultimate-ish intake manifold takes shape

Now back to 2018!
1688935182526.png

Now that this car is running and driving, I figured I would start a thread dedicated to all the questions I’m about to pummel this group with. This is the first time I've really built anything to move quicker than stock, so I'm hoping to learn a lot from you guys before I make unnecessary mistakes. I also have a thread in the Turbobuick.com 3800 section, but I'm not getting as much input there due to a lack of audience. Here goes nothing...

The car I have is a 2002 Camaro with only ONE factory option (rear window defogger). The story supposedly goes that my buddy's dad was looking forever for a new Camaro because he never buys anything for a penny more than the best deal. He almost ran out of time as this was the final model year for the F-body, and '03s were already on the market. The dealer from which he found this car bought it for the sole purpose of being able to advertise "Brand new Camaros for under $10k", so this was the one he took home.

Fast forward to 2018. The car was structurally a wreck from living in the rust belt, but has a great interior, okay black paint, a third pedal, a 3800 (which is a plus in my book), and a lot of sentimental value since I remember riding in it when it was brand new. My buddy’s dad handed me the keys in hopes that I would enjoy it and make it a race car. To be honest, I don’t care for F-bodies, but I couldn't resist this one for the reasons above despite knowing that the floors were in desperate need of existing again.

I already had my dream car which is a 1986 Buick Regal Grand National. As much as I love that car, I like it the way it is in fairly stock form and modifying Buicks has gotten terribly expensive anyway. I figured a black 3800 Camaro could easily fulfill my childhood dreams of racing a badass turbo Buick V6 car while being on a budget, so here I am.

The car is now equipped with:
-6765 ebay turbo
-Precision PW40 wastegate
-Custom turbo exhaust utilizing a stock Camaro and FWD manifolds
-Air to air ebay intercooler
-AEM 50-1200 fuel pump
-Siemens Deka 80# fuel injectors
-Open 3” downpipe
-Custom 3” charge pipes
-Intense mail order tune
-Very ugly but functional upright radiator conversion (the core support was all just rust anyway) :dunno:
-Custom space saving AC delete without bypass pulley
-Midwest Chassis bumper support modified to mount my intercooler
-Spec Stage 1 clutch kit

The car is far from refined and has a lot of little issues to sort out, but I will leave the first post as sort of an introduction to that. I hope you enjoy hearing about it. It’s been fun to build!

Cgge0Pb.jpg

uapwiw2.jpg

08tL6Rj.jpg

7zXNhuZ.jpg

PVLQyzg.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
the oil windage tray mods and the unshrouding of the valves are worth power.

if yers is the steel tray in the cast alum pan, just remove the way shittier steel tray and run the older plastic pan gasket/windage tray rtv'd to the top of thje alum pan....it's good for another 1/4qt oil capacity iirc
Lol I wanted to run an aluminum pan JUST for the nicer gasket, but I'd have to cut and weld some plate in it to get it in a Camaro. There aren't any aluminum F-body pans as far as I know. I have a really awful Dorman pan in it now. Everything about it is made poorly. It fits like shit, seals like shit at both the flange and the drain plug, and the drain plug itself looks like a total afterthought. I'll definitely be finding a rust free OE pan to replace it.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I finally decided to do something tonight. I've been putting off the spray ceramic coating and rewrapping for some reason. I'm happy with how it turned out though! I should have gone a smidge longer on the downpipe, but it'll be fiiiiine.
PXL_20201110_225737506.jpg

PXL_20201110_232653986.jpg

PXL_20201110_235117848.jpg

PXL_20201110_235111703.jpg

PXL_20201110_235104904.jpg

This thing was smoking and steaming so bad that I think my fellow motorists were terrified of me. ? It shockingly quit before I came home though. Summit brand wrap and Amazon metal ties ftw! Screw that ulta expensive DEI stuff.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Don't knock the door man I have the Camaro pan on my pre SI, LN3 3800 in the Cressida.
The pan rail was actually way smoother than the factory. The doorman is formed from a single sheet of heavier steel whereas the factory is formed from two really thin pieces of Steel which makes welding return bungs a real f****** pita.

It also makes welding in the windage tray hole/oil scraper a pain in the ass as well.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Idk man. My original pan didn't leak at all except for where it rusted the F out. The flange didn't leak at all, and I was able to weld the bung to the driver side of the pan while it was still on the car. It was a PITA, but it got done and even penetrated through both layers. The Dorman pan I have now is thicker, I'll give you that. However, I could tell that the flange surface was doomed before I even installed it. Even worse was the drain plug surface. It's not flat at all. The plug they provided has a tiny head (both hight and hex size) which is bound to strip. The sealing washer is also super annoying since the stock pan didn't need one. It wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't painted in to place though. A little bit of hammer and chisel action took care of that I guess.

I never thought I'd have so much to say about an oil pan, but this one bugs the hell out of me. Fwiw Dorman has the most hit or miss quality I've ever seen. Some things are awesome. Others are absolutely terrible. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that changes between two of the same part numbers. However, they are often the only solution. I think they're very aware of this.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i hear ya, most times i just take the guts out of the dorman repair stuff and toss it in the OE quick connector etc. for the Orings/retainers

the pans i always go for a magnetic aftermarket from napa, most time you can get em with the OE silver "armor" plating instead of clear/blue/yellow zink

the alum coolant elbows are all over the place, so far ive only come across one where the die halves were aligned so there wasnt a ridge in the O ring groove that needed a rat tail file

but one thing i will point out..... is ive come across 6 broken oil pans/junk engines from road debris, every one was a alum pan. only one steel pan ever destroyed the engine from debris and they drove a highway alligator that folded the pan up into the oil pickup and cracked the trans pan rail.

brittle aluminum pans and brittle powdered metal/sintered forgings are not in my "stock is bestest, stock is fastest" category regardless of what panda says

Reactions: v6buicks

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
q6k870u.jpg

Now that this car is running and driving, I figured I would start a thread dedicated to all the questions I’m about to pummel this group with. This is the first time I've really built anything to move quicker than stock, so I'm hoping to learn a lot from you guys before I make unnecessary mistakes. I also have a thread in the Turbobuick.com 3800 section, but I'm not getting as much input there due to a lack of audience. Here goes nothing...

The car I have is a 2002 Camaro with only ONE factory option (rear window defogger). The story supposedly goes that my buddy's dad was looking forever for a new Camaro because he never buys anything for a penny more than the best deal. He almost ran out of time as this was the final model year for the F-body, and '03s were already on the market. The dealer from which he found this car bought it for the sole purpose of being able to advertise "Brand new Camaros for under $10k", so this was the one he took home.

Fast forward to 2018. The car was structurally a wreck from living in the rust belt, but has a great interior, okay black paint, a third pedal, a 3800 (which is a plus in my book), and a lot of sentimental value since I remember riding in it when it was brand new. My buddy’s dad handed me the keys in hopes that I would enjoy it and make it a race car. To be honest, I don’t care for F-bodies, but I couldn't resist this one for the reasons above despite knowing that the floors were in desperate need of existing again.

I already had my dream car which is a 1986 Buick Regal Grand National. As much as I love that car, I like it the way it is in fairly stock form and modifying Buicks has gotten terribly expensive anyway. I figured a black 3800 Camaro could easily fulfill my childhood dreams of racing a badass turbo Buick V6 car while being on a budget, so here I am.

The car is now equipped with:
-6765 ebay turbo
-Precision PW40 wastegate
-Custom turbo exhaust utilizing a stock Camaro and FWD manifolds
-Air to air ebay intercooler
-AEM 50-1200 fuel pump
-Siemens Deka 80# fuel injectors
-Open 3” downpipe
-Custom 3” charge pipes
-Intense mail order tune
-Very ugly but functional upright radiator conversion (the core support was all just rust anyway) :dunno:
-Custom space saving AC delete without bypass pulley
-Midwest Chassis bumper support modified to mount my intercooler
-Spec Stage 1 clutch kit

The car is far from refined and has a lot of little issues to sort out, but I will leave the first post as sort of an introduction to that. I hope you enjoy hearing about it. It’s been fun to build!

Cgge0Pb.jpg

uapwiw2.jpg

08tL6Rj.jpg

7zXNhuZ.jpg

Ayyy! I just join up and the first thing I see is another turbo 3800 f body. Liking this place already. Sweet ride man!

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I have to learn some camera handling skills and get a computer that's worth damn, but I took the plunge on the newest and baddest GoPro! It's a Hero 9 Black. It's soooo cool! I took a few practice shots. Now I just need to find a back road, quit being a pansy, and show you some action.

But work has been beating me down lately. It's hard to explain the situation because it's not even really the job itself. I'm just in a funk where I'm not motivated and hate every minute of being there. To make matters worse, the lack of motivation extends to home as well. This is seasonal depression at its finest. Indiana closing all its business again certainly hasn't helped.

Anyway, I took a much needed day off, burned through a full tank of gas, burned through a full SD card before I ever floored it ?, and explored a LOT of roads which I've never traveled. I have to say that this is the greatest form of therapy for me. Yet, it's something I can't say I've done much since moving to Indiana. I just hadn't had many cars that I enjoyed to be in for indefinite amounts of time while not fearing the added numbers on the odometer. The Lame V6 is filling that void very nicely.

Get yourself a fun shitbox. It doesn't need to be fast or good looking. In fact it helps a lot for it to be cheap to drive. Bring your phone and a charger so that you have GPS when it's time to head home, but don't look at it until then. It's amazing how many neat places are close to home and have yet to be seen because it was never "on the way".

I happened to find this behemoth of a factory. After a bit of reading, I learned that it was a horse drawn buggy factory in the 1800s, then it switched hands a few times before becoming a Chevy truck body plant from the 1970s all the way to 2011! I think it's amazing that I never even knew it existed until I just ran I to it.
PXL_20201120_210812056.jpg

A nice view of Indianapolis from a not so desirable location. I chose to leave quickly instead of taking more pics. This side of the river is right where things begin to turn for the worse. I find it so fascinating how clear lines in the earth turn into economic border walls.
PXL_20201120_210757888.jpg

PXL_20201120_210759524.jpg

Just to make my day even better, I ran into a nice Skylark on the way home.
PXL_20201120_214429644.jpg

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
I have to learn some camera handling skills and get a computer that's worth damn, but I took the plunge on the newest and baddest GoPro! It's a Hero 9 Black. It's soooo cool! I took a few practice shots. Now I just need to find a back road, quit being a pansy, and show you some action.

But work has been beating me down lately. It's hard to explain the situation because it's not even really the job itself. I'm just in a funk where I'm not motivated and hate every minute of being there. To make matters worse, the lack of motivation extends to home as well. This is seasonal depression at its finest. Indiana closing all it's business again certainly hasn't helped.

Anyway, I took a much needed day off, burned through a full tank of gas, burned through a full SD card before I ever floored it [emoji2959], and explored a LOT of roads which I've never traveled. I have to say that this is the greatest form of therapy for me. Yet, it's something I can't say I've done much since moving to Indiana. I just hadn't had many cars that I enjoyed to be in for indefinite amounts of time while not fearing the added numbers on the odometer. The Lame V6 is filling that void very nicely.

Get yourself a fun shitbox. It doesn't need to be fast. In fact it helps a lot for it to be relatively cheap to drive. Bring your phone and a charger so that you have GPS when it's time to head home, but don't look at it until then. It's amazing how many neat places are close to home and have yet to be seen because it was never "on the way".

I happened to find this behemoth of a factory. After a bit of reading, I learned that it was a horse drawn buggy factory in the 1800s, then it switched hands a few times before becoming a Chevy truck body plant from the 1970s all the way to 2011! I think it's amazing that I never even knew it existed until I just ran I to it.
View attachment 74353

A nice view of Indianapolis from a not so desirable location. I chose to leave quickly instead of taking more pics. This side of the river is right where things begin to turn for the worse. I find it so fascinating how clear lines in the earth turn into economic border walls.
View attachment 74354

View attachment 74355

Just to make my day even better, I ran into a nice Skylark on the way home.
View attachment 74356
Man you just made my day with this post. Thats what its all about.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'm glad to hear it! I'm a firm believer in the old adage "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow!" There will always be a numb skull that says it's even more fun to drive a fast car fast, but I don't think those people understand either concept.

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
I'm glad to hear it! I'm a firm believer in the old adage "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow!" There will always be a numb skull that says it's even more fun to drive a fast car fast, but I don't think those people understand either concept.
Its about bein proud to drive somethin you dedicated a part of yourself to building. Accomplishment. I've got an $80k truck in the driveway that a big part of me wants to get rid of cuz id rather use the money fight with a piece of shit v6 camaro[emoji23]

• Haha

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Its about bein proud to drive somethin you dedicated a part of yourself to building. Accomplishment. I've got an $80k truck in the driveway that a big part of me wants to get rid of cuz id rather use the money fight with a piece of shit v6 camaro[emoji23]
I feel this deep in my soul. What's dumber is that my car in limbo is my actual "dream car". My Grand National is essentially the non-poser version of my Camaro, it's in much nicer condition, much nicer to drive, and I kinda just want the money and space to work on my worthless poser GN POS. :ROFLMAO: It makes no sense, but neither does modifying cars to begin with.

Let's be real though. I want both. Like most car guys, I want it all, and I'm almost willing to hoard it all even if it turns minorly self-destructive. Lol

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
I feel this deep in my soul. What's dumber is that my car in limbo is my actual "dream car". My Grand National is essentially the non-poser version of my Camaro, it's in much nicer condition, much nicer to drive, and I kinda just want the money and space to work on my worthless poser GN POS. [emoji23] It makes no sense, but neither does modifying cars to begin with.

Let's be real though. I want both. Like most car guys, I want it all, and I'm almost willing to hoard it all even if it turns minorly self-destructive. Lol
Oh its definitely self destructive just ask my banker and any girl that tries to come around [emoji23]

• Haha

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I actually tarted making a really long and mushy reply to this, but stopped because it sounded dumb. Then my shorter reply sounded even dumber after I reread it so here I go.

Its about bein proud to drive somethin you dedicated a part of yourself to building. Accomplishment.

For sure. I enjoyed building this car and celebrating all the small victories along the way, but all that building and accomplishment seems wasteful if I don't end up using that car for how it was built to be used. I think minor plans change as we go, but we should never forget or scrap the end goal. This was an issue with every project car I had prior to this, the biggest loss being my first Volvo 240. There's a whole other thread for that. Let's just say that I don't see the new one receiving a remotely similar fate.

I wish more people were smarter and more appreciative in this sense. The common all-or-nothing principle with no regard to anything else is super dumb, and I blame the internet for the majority of it. Would my car be faster with all the same work and money put toward an LS? No doubt. Is that what I want though? Obviously not if I've gone this far, but nobody ever asks. It's almost like I built the car for THEIR approval or with the goal to be the fastest sum bitch in the neighborhood. :rolleyes: It's all about what I want, and racing competitively was never it. So far the Camaro is doing fulfilling my desires pretty darn well

It might be time to rephrase post #1 not only for everyone else's clarity, but my own as well. My transmission poll thread made me realize that nobody knows the point and direction of the car, and that's my fault. I think the Camaro as it sits is exactly what I wanted to build in 2018. It is the perfect stick shift, low buck, wannabe Grand National. I can drive this MFer anywhere without feeling an ounce of remorse. I can also blow it's engine up tomorrow and not feel an ounce of remorse. Would I be pissed? Oh hell yeah. However, it won't be because I ruined a numbers matching V6 Camaro. :LOL: It feels good to be at this point. I have more than fulfilled my original goal.

That being said, it's 2020 and a lot of shortcomings have come to light. I loved my roomy and utilitarian wagon, but it wasn't sporty enough. Therefore I made my next project a Camaro. Makes sense right? ? Well I quickly missed the ability to camp in the back of my car, haul the same amount of junk that a 1500 pickup bed can hold, and dwelling in the innocent Swedish vibes. Duh, of course I have Moose, but he's still an absolute dog.

I don't know why I can't be happy with what I have and just enjoy the best of all worlds, but you know by now that I'm a glutton for punishment. My goals are no longer vehicle specific. I want my whole fleet to be ironed out. This will likely begin with the GN. I'm not going to return it to completely stock, but I am most definitely getting rid of all the gawdy crap that makes it look like a 600+ HP car only to disappoint everyone with it's ET. In fact, the engine bay is going to resemble an almost completely stock car. Even if it makes the car slower, I am more appreciative of it as an 80s time capsule than a car to thrash around. Love it or hate it, that's where it's going. Once I make a little progress on that, I'll probably switch over to the Camaro. I just got done saying it's great the way it is, but I'm not that simple of a man. Now that the adjustable master has made driving a stick much easier, I'm going to throw the budget thing out the window. TKX swap. Then I'll get going on the L32 build. Rods, pistons, ARP hardware, ST5 cam, ported heads (?), fancy headers (?). I still don't care about the body, but you can bet your ass that it's going to be a blast to drive. Then there's sweet and innocent little Moose... and an L36 with nowhere else to go. Once the Camaro is full beast mode, I'll be looking to make the fun DAILY I've wanted since before I even got the Camaro. This is so far removed, because I can't imagine that the parts gathering would even start for another few years. It also depends greatly on whether or not my fiance wants to keep the car when its time for a new one or if if the car even survives that long. Anyway, the goal will be driveability, reliability, and serviceability. Power comes somewhere after that. All I know is that it will get a 3800 and a 4l60e. I haven't decided if I want to do a modified supercharger with an intercooler because I'll probably have all the accessories and top swap from the L32 or if I'll want to use the Dan Jost turbo headers and flipped intake because it's slick AF. Either way, it will need to run on 93 and get great fuel mileage.

I feel like these projects would keep me busy for a very long time while also satisfying my automotive desires. The GN will be my minty stock survivor. The Camaro will be my raw and dirty race car. It will always have some level of streetability, but it won't necessarily be a road trippable. Then the 240 will be the go-anywhere, and trustworthy road tripper. It already is, but the lack of power is pretty punishing on the interstate.

3.8 Buick V6 ALLLLL the things.

Sorry for my long winded ramblings. I'm just super excited about everything that's going on. My direction has gained a lot of clarity ever since I purged my parts hoard.

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
I actually tarted making a really long and mushy reply to this, but stopped because it sounded dumb. Then my shorter reply sounded even dumber after I reread it so here I go.

For sure. I enjoyed building this car and celebrating all the small victories along the way, but all that building and accomplishment seems wasteful if I don't end up using that car for how it was built to be used. I think minor plans change as we go, but we should never forget or scrap the end goal. This was an issue with every project car I had prior to this, the biggest loss being my first Volvo 240. There's a whole other thread for that. Let's just say that I don't see the new one receiving a remotely similar fate.

I wish more people were smarter and more appreciative in this sense. The common all-or-nothing principle with no regard to anything else is super dumb, and I blame the internet for the majority of it. Would my car be faster with all the same work and money put toward an LS? No doubt. Is that what I want though? Obviously not if I've gone this far, but nobody ever asks. It's almost like I built the car for THEIR approval or with the goal to be the fastest sum bitch in the neighborhood. :rolleyes: It's all about what I want, and racing competitively was never it. So far the Camaro is doing fulfilling my desires pretty darn well

It might be time to rephrase post #1 not only for everyone else's clarity, but my own as well. My transmission poll thread made me realize that nobody knows the point and direction of the car, and that's my fault. I think the Camaro as it sits is exactly what I wanted to build in 2018. It is the perfect stick shift, low buck, wannabe Grand National. I can drive this MFer anywhere without feeling an ounce of remorse. I can also blow it's engine up tomorrow and not feel an ounce of remorse. Would I be pissed? Oh hell yeah. However, it won't be because I ruined a numbers matching V6 Camaro. [emoji38] It feels good to be at this point. I have more than fulfilled my original goal.

That being said, it's 2020 and a lot of shortcomings have come to light. I loved my roomy and utilitarian wagon, but it wasn't sporty enough. Therefore I made my next project a Camaro. Makes sense right? [emoji107] Well I quickly missed the ability to camp in the back of my car, haul the same amount of junk that a 1500 pickup bed can hold, and dwelling in the innocent Swedish vibes. Duh, of course I have Moose, but he's still an absolute dog.

I don't know why I can't be happy with what I have and just enjoy the best of all worlds, but you know by now that I'm a glutton for punishment. My goals are no longer vehicle specific. I want my whole fleet to be ironed out. This will likely begin with the GN. I'm not going to return it to completely stock, but I am most definitely getting rid of all the gawdy crap that makes it look like a 600+ HP car only to disappoint everyone with it's ET. In fact, the engine bay is going to resemble an almost completely stock car. Even if it makes the car slower, I am more appreciative of it as an 80s time capsule than a car to thrash around. Love it or hate it, that's where it's going. Once I make a little progress on that, I'll probably switch over to the Camaro. I just got done saying it's great the way it is, but I'm not that simple of a man. Now that the adjustable master has made driving a stick much easier, I'm going to throw the budget thing out the window. TKX swap. Then I'll get going on the L32 build. Rods, pistons, ARP hardware, ST5 cam, ported heads (?), fancy headers (?). I still don't care about the body, but you can bet your ass that it's going to be a blast to drive. Then there's sweet and innocent little Moose... and an L36 with nowhere else to go. Once the Camaro is full beast mode, I'll be looking to make the fun DAILY I've wanted since before I even got the Camaro. This is so far removed, because I can't imagine that the parts gathering would even start for another few years. It also depends greatly on whether or not my fiance wants to keep the car when its time for a new one or if if the car even survives that long. Anyway, the goal will be driveability, reliability, and serviceability. Power comes somewhere after that. All I know is that it will get a 3800 and a 4l60e. I haven't decided if I want to do a modified supercharger with an intercooler because I'll probably have all the accessories and top swap from the L32 or if I'll want to use the Dan Jost turbo headers and flipped intake because it's slick AF. Either way, it will need to run on 93 and get great fuel mileage.

I feel like these projects would keep me busy for a very long time while also satisfying my automotive desires. The GN will be my minty stock survivor. The Camaro will be my raw and dirty race car. It will always have some level of streetability, but it won't necessarily be a road trippable. Then the 240 will be the go-anywhere, and trustworthy road tripper. It already is, but the lack of power is pretty punishing on the interstate.

3.8 Buick V6 ALLLLL the things.

Sorry for my long winded ramblings. I'm just super excited about everything that's going on. My direction has gained a lot of clarity ever since I purged my parts hoard.
Anybody and everybody can swap an ls. I suppose there's boostin those but I just can't be the guy that does the same thing as everyone else. I've dug enough and learned enough bout this thing that idk if id even wanna play with anything else anymore

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Back to business. I have a couple issues. The bigger one is an engine or tuning issue. :cry: It's intermittent, but when I get into high load situations (heavy throttle above 3200ish rpm) it seems as though the ignition is cutting out. I finally ghetto rigged my old laptop back to life, so I should be able to start scanning tonight. It's just irritating that once again, my coils seem to be dying. :cautious: These are all pretty new Delco units. IIRC I unboxed them less than a year ago. They shouldn't be dead!

Problem number two. My defroster started working again for some reason! Most people would call this a Christmas miracle rather than a problem, but now that it did something different for the first time in my three years of ownership I'm kinda curious. I want to see if I can fix it! It's certainly low on the priority list, but there is hope!
1606133428083.png

Reactions: GTPpower

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
Back to business. I have a couple issues. The bigger one is an engine or tuning issue. :cry: It's intermittent, but when I get into high load situations (heavy throttle above 3200ish rpm) it seems as though the ignition is cutting out. I finally ghetto rigged my old laptop back to life, so I should be able to start scanning tonight. It's just irritating that once again, my coils seem to be dying. :cautious: These are all pretty new Delco units. IIRC I unboxed them less than a year ago. They shouldn't be dead!

Problem number two. My defroster started working again for some reason! Most people would call this a Christmas miracle rather than a problem, but now that it did something different for the first time in my three years of ownership I'm kinda curious. I want to see if I can fix it! It's certainly low on the priority list, but there is hope!
View attachment 74393
Idk where to start of your defrost other than maybe a ground or relay but after shocking the hell out of myself on plug wires and burning my wrists on headers I boiled mine down to my right side just won't read right for nothin. I'm pretty new on the tuning end of it but I finally figured out of to tune my maf last night gonna try and tune it off one bank and see if I can finally get it poppin

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Idk where to start of your defrost other than maybe a ground or relay but after shocking the hell out of myself on plug wires and burning my wrists on headers I boiled mine down to my right side just won't read right for nothin. I'm pretty new on the tuning end of it but I finally figured out of to tune my maf last night gonna try and tune it off one bank and see if I can finally get it poppin
I forget. Do you have powertuner? Or did you convert over to a GTP ECM or something? I'm not a tuner at all. It frustrated the hell out of me, and then I found out that HPTuners wasn't even enough to get the job done. It still bothers me how I've been unable to decipher anything from my logs, but I'll probably try it again tonight. Maybe it'll be easier to find something wrong now that I know for a fact that the tune is good.

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
I forget. Do you have powertuner? Or did you convert over to a GTP ECM or something? I'm not a tuner at all. It frustrated the hell out of me, and then I found out that HPTuners wasn't even enough to get the job done. It still bothers me how I've been unable to decipher anything from my logs, but I'll probably try it again tonight. Maybe it'll be easier to find something wrong now that I know for a fact that the tune is good.
I've got hptuners and had zzp do my initial tune. I'm startin to think powertuner would be nice but I built a fuel trim vs maf % graph and figuring the math off that I got it to quit misfiring at idle and figured out which o2 is reading right. Planning on switching it so a single o2 and trying to dial it in from there but I put the 2 bar map in because it made it run better as well and I know I need to redo my ve tables after that I just haven't put in the time to make my tables for that and start on it yet. I'll honestly probably do ve first since thats the go to when maf fails and I know maf only goes so far anyway but I'm self teaching myself off forums and hps help section so im trying to be super careful and keep it on the rich side of things so I don't have to sawzall somebody's sisters Buick for a donor block [emoji23]

In the end learning the tuning side was really my main goal anyway. I just happened to fall in love with the shitbox I wanted in high school along the way

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)

View attachment 74393

What plugs and what gap?

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Thread Info