đź“° Auto News Ngauge closed down / VMP, SCT and Lund Racing visited by EPA?

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
The EPA is ballin now after the VW ordeal plus going after the diesel community.

giphy.gif

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
The factory additional performance tunes are meant to be used with all the factory emissions pieces in place. So no issues using them or the EPA going after the manufactures. Some aftermarket tuners also offer tunes for factory emissions equipment in stock. But I don't think most of those are CARB-approved.

It's the tunes that allow removal and workaround of factory emissions pieces that are the issue. As well as parts that aid the removal of factory emissions pieces.

A good example is my 2011 Mustang GT had the Ford Racing Performance Parts flash tune installed. It ran 11.9x. The aftermarket tune ran 11.44. The factory offered tunes are pretty conservative since they still offer the factory warranty with them. So there is an option for a small bump in performance. But expensive for the small performance benefit.

The auto performance industry is sweating on whether the EPA will ban any / all performance enhancing configuration changes to the ECU of vehicles with a VIN.

If the EPA does, then Ford, Dodge and GM Performance would also be required to adhere.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Yup.

You should hear what the guys doing this 'under ground' are making PER Day selling you a file through email...

It's absolutely insane.
You should tell us. And how does this work now, can you just not buy tunes for diesel trucks anywhere legally? Or are the mainstream tuners still doing them but in an "EPA-friendly" way?

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
You should tell us. And how does this work now, can you just not buy tunes for diesel trucks anywhere legally? Or are the mainstream tuners still doing them but in an "EPA-friendly" way?
I know nothing about diesel performance, but if they’re tunes that make trucks “roll coal” then fuck em.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I know nothing about diesel performance, but if they’re tunes that make trucks “roll coal” then fuck em.
Definitely depends on the tuner. I had a solid Sinister tune on mine, and it was like a light haze under WOT. I could have requested a "smoke tune," but more smoke = less efficient, so you're missing out on power by doing so.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yup.

You should hear what the guys doing this 'under ground' are making PER Day selling you a file through email...

It's absolutely insane.
I have mentioned this before, I know companies that are based overseas. They sell the software and tunes via the Google store (for now). They let customers use Android-based devices to flash their vehicles. Once Google store cuts them off due to the EPA, they will go straight to email to continue doing the same thing.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Another of the low-hanging fruit was harvested officially.

I don't know if I'd consider Geouge low-hanging fruit. They allocated a helluva lot of resources to nailing his ass once he tried to be cheeky with the Spartan->Patriot shell game (and this is already after a "successful" lawsuit). Geouge was Spartan and Geouge was Patriot, without him neither would have been anything. The only thing he didn't have in his own arsenal was the hardware to deliver tunes. This investigation/pursuit took years and lots of armed jackboot business raids (these turds all showed up armed and with vests on too... but at least no dogs were shot that I know of). If we were to see the actual taxpayer bill for it all, I'm sure it'd be an astronomical number. E-Motion would still be around if not for active involvement in that transition, but it probably wasn't a very good idea to help EPA's Public Enemy #1 give them the finger at that point in time.

I guess somebody once said, "don't back no losers, don't tell no lies." Sound advice. And just like it always is, hindsight is 20/20.

I figured he had made a lot more than $10M in that time but I guess that's still a very large number.

• Wow
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Another of the low-hanging fruit was harvested officially.

I just checked out the article. Guy was clearly a dumbass, didn't file taxes some years, was warned all the way back to 2015.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
"Geouge was warned numerous times over the years to stop selling the devices, but never did. The first warning came in 2015 when the EPA issued a stop-sale citation. Just two years later, the EPA hit him with a $4 million fine, which resulted in him selling Spartan Diesel Technologies. It gets better because of course Geouge was also not filing taxes. The IRS says he didn’t file between 2015 and 2019.

After pleading guilty in the case against him for tax evasion and violating the Clean Air Act, Geouge faces three supervised years of release, six months of home confinement, a $1.3 million penalty to the EPA, and $1.2 million in restitution to the IRS. Three of his conspirators all received the same probation and home sentences as well as fines ranging from $10,000 to $150,000."

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info