đź“° Auto News Ngauge closed down / VMP, SCT and Lund Racing visited by EPA?

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
As I read it the SC ruling addresses power plant emissions. As a long time service provider to that space, I'm not sure what I think about this yet. As I recall the head of the EPA is a politically appointed position.

50% of coal plants have been retired in the last 10 years and the rest were to be retired in the next 10 years. Maybe this will change that. But you won't see more coal fired power plants get built here for a variety of reasons to mostly due with fuel cost.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
As I read it the SC ruling addresses power plant emissions. As a long time service provider to that space, I'm not sure what I think about this yet. As I recall the head of the EPA is a politically appointed position.

50% of coal plants have been retired in the last 10 years and the rest were to be retired in the next 10 years. Maybe this will change that. But you won't see more coal fired power plants get built here for a variety of reasons to mostly due with fuel cost.

I think part of it will also be that it will wind up like nuclear plants where people doing lawsuits will make the construction costs impractical at best.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Nuclear is really dead in the US.

Hard to get done and they cost in the billions to build and construct. There much more economical and faster-to-operation solutions out there.
What about the $6 billion rail project in CA that went bust. Could have built a few power plants with that.

Or the $60 billion we’ve sent to Ukraine.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
I have a response that keeps this discussion on topic and addresses your post.

Simple.

Power generation in the US is mostly a for-profit sector, cliff notes, public and private companies are the players. I know the Army Corp of Engineers has some sort of involvement with hydro but I don't know much about it.

So any new nuclear plants would have to be funded by public or private companies and that's a heavy lift.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Commiefornia is sending 17 billion to the governers constituents in inflation relief. How much could that fix the power grid there?

Or help them get more water. Anything that would actually help them in the long term by making the state more economically viable.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I have a response that keeps this discussion on topic and addresses your post.

Simple.

Power generation in the US is mostly a for-profit sector, cliff notes, public and private companies are the players. I know the Army Corp of Engineers has some sort of involvement with hydro but I don't know much about it.

So any new nuclear plants would have to be funded by public or private companies and that's a heavy lift.
Heavier lifting has been done before.

Reactions: Rent Free

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
CA is a weird market. They enter into long term contracts (good) but then need more around peak usage (summer, hot, A/C), and buy on the spot market. They get raped buying peak power like that.

There are power plants designed to handle load (power needed all the time), which the owner can turn up based on need. You also have "peaker" plants that are used for peak demand, traditionally these are smaller plants under 100MW that are only used in summer. They used to be powered by coal, even diesel. The trend in some markets is to add solar + battery storage, though I've seen GE pushing the pairing of an LM6000 gas turbine with a battery storage array too.

Cliff notes, new generation will be a mix of gas, solar, wind, storage with hardly any increase in hydro.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Posted by Lund Racing in case folks are not aware:

1662006786461.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info