đź“° Auto News Ngauge closed down / VMP, SCT and Lund Racing visited by EPA?

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
So VMP got hit with a $60k fine and that was just for shit that went down in 2014-2015??? And this happened back in 2019? Safe to say we're all pretty much fucked!

Glad my Whipple kit has a 50 state cert and I kept my factory manifolds/cats...lol

And also, LOL at the earlier poasts about Jim's 12 second Hellcat!!!:ROFLMAO:
You still have factory cats :oops:

Ooff... like rolling the dice I see, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeffs FRC

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: IZZy

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
So VMP got hit with a $60k fine and that was just for shit that went down in 2014-2015??? And this happened back in 2019? Safe to say we're all pretty much fucked!

Glad my Whipple kit has a 50 state cert and I kept my factory manifolds/cats...lol

And also, LOL at the earlier poasts about Jim's 12 second Hellcat!!!:ROFLMAO:

They are not going after the individual vehicle owners. If you pass emissions you should be good.

They are going after the device manufacturers that Aid in the deletion, removal Or bypass of emissions equipment, along with the tuning companies who program the removal of said equipment.

My concern is the EPA goes as far to banning all tuning capable devices and services, regardless if emissions equipment remains in tact.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
They are not going after the individual vehicle owners. If you pass emissions you should be good.

They are going after the device manufacturers that Aid in the deletion, removal Or bypass of emissions equipment, along with the tuning companies who program the removal of said equipment.

My concern is the EPA goes as far to banning all tuning capable devices and services, regardless if emissions equipment remains in tact.
I just cant see the EPA eliminating all tuning devices and in turn putting most shops out of business.

My car should pass emissions even with cats removed. O2 spacers work!

Reactions: Rent Free

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The only problem will be if you can't tune it yourself.

You can't say that for sure. There are already programs that use a cable and programs to tune vehicles. Including open source tuning that you can do. MHD is a great example of that. For many BMW you can order a cheap K-Dan cable and their program uses your cell phone to flash the car. Their program has canned tunes you can pay for and use. Or you can tune the car yourself with their program. It's a slick setup. I have said for years that I hope this is the direction tuning moves towards. We have powerful computers in our pockets now. Using them for things like this just makes sense.

The issue I see is that companies are going to charge a lot for programs and tuning. If they can't sell $20 flash tuners for $300 that cuts into their profits. And if fewer people are tuning cars your potential sales will be smaller. It all adds up quickly to expensive products. Kind of like how a Cobb tuner for a low production 911 Turbo costs $1,200 when it uses the same $300 tuner for a Mustang with a different program on it.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Doesn’t ford offer tunes and handheld programmer for the mustang and few other models? I know dodge use to make upgrades ecm’s for the viper’s, not sure on hellcat or 6.2 is offering currently.

if the factory offers this option where one can buy it from a Ford dealers parts department will the epa come down on them?

I know the tuning possibilities with a factory programmer is nowhere as good as HP or Cobb, just asking.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The factory additional performance tunes are meant to be used with all the factory emissions pieces in place. So no issues using them or the EPA going after the manufactures. Some aftermarket tuners also offer tunes for factory emissions equipment in stock. But I don't think most of those are CARB-approved.

It's the tunes that allow removal and workaround of factory emissions pieces that are the issue. As well as parts that aid the removal of factory emissions pieces.

A good example is my 2011 Mustang GT had the Ford Racing Performance Parts flash tune installed. It ran 11.9x. The aftermarket tune ran 11.44. The factory offered tunes are pretty conservative since they still offer the factory warranty with them. So there is an option for a small bump in performance. But expensive for the small performance benefit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info