šŸ„ Health Exercise thread - Fitness, Recreational, etc

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Did a short ride tonight on the prairie path to south Elgin. On the way back I didnā€™t feel like going all the way back down to north Ave just to come back north 1.5 miles. I also didnā€™t want to ride Army Trail Rd going east out of Wayne across 59 to Gerber Rd, as there is no shoulder.

Figured if I could get far enough north on Munger I could ride through the subdivision to Schick Rd and then ride the bike path back.

What looked good on paper didnā€™t work so well in real life. What looked like a path was a horse trail. I should have just taken Army Trail and Munger, and pulled into the grass when I car came up from behind to pass. Would have saved me a lot of trouble.

Good news is that theyā€™re putting in a trail along Munger from Sterns down to Smith Rd, so itā€™ll tie into the Prairie Path.

Would be nice to get something, even a 3ā€™ lane from 59 west to Wayne.

14E054B2-2478-4C31-8A22-9A5210838ACD.jpeg
3C702C0D-AEFB-4C1B-80D5-9F680789F94B.jpeg
4BBA13FB-9BCF-4868-9E6B-5AEFF20C27DC.jpeg
EF011F7A-DB92-434B-B84C-06D6AFEADCA7.jpeg

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Did a short ride tonight on the prairie path to south Elgin. On the way back I didnā€™t feel like going all the way back down to north Ave just to come back north 1.5 miles. I also didnā€™t want to ride Army Trail Rd going east out of Wayne across 59 to Gerber Rd, as there is no shoulder.

Figured if I could get far enough north on Munger I could ride through the subdivision to Schick Rd and then ride the bike path back.

What looked good on paper didnā€™t work so well in real life. What looked like a path was a horse trail. I should have just taken Army Trail and Munger, and pulled into the grass when I car came up from behind to pass. Would have saved me a lot of trouble.

Good news is that theyā€™re putting in a trail along Munger from Sterns down to Smith Rd, so itā€™ll tie into the Prairie Path.

Would be nice to get something, even a 3ā€™ lane from 59 west to Wayne.

View attachment 130070View attachment 130071View attachment 130072View attachment 130073
Short ride eh? Now your just bragging :). J/K man good stuff.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Short ride eh? Now your just bragging :). J/K man good stuff.
Iā€™m seriously considering doing a large triangle. From CS into Wheaton, then PP out to Aurora, Fox River Trail to Elgin, then back to CS. Should be about 55 miles.

Just donā€™t want to deal with all the foot traffic along the river path. Too many people oblivious to the outside world thanks to ear buds/headphones, or yapping on the phone.

I might do Joliet to Morris (47) instead. Thatā€™s about 40-45 miles.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Iā€™ve done a few runs after I recovered from covid, seems like Iā€™ve been more sore after a run, today I tried to run the first mile balls out and was disappointed with an 8:20 something, about 30 seconds slower than my previous best
It took me a while to recover as well. I'm finding that both of my knees are hurting more than before, typically the front of them. Seating position hasn't changed. I'm trying to not ride under "synthetic" energy, meaning no energy boosters or medicine (ibuprofen) to combat how I'm feeling. Boy does it suck, lol.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Iā€™ve done a few runs after I recovered from covid, seems like Iā€™ve been more sore after a run, today I tried to run the first mile balls out and was disappointed with an 8:20 something, about 30 seconds slower than my previous best
Similar . Had COVID couple weeks back almost identical time as you. I would say 2-3 days was the worst. Then I just had annoying head congestion and overly groggy feeling for about 9 days. After that did a few runs and mohahahhahaha was I sad. Definitely was feeling like covid kicked my endurance in the teeth. I need to get back out there been lazy since my foot has been hurting. Oh and my heart rate has been at least 20% higher on my runs. Now I have taken weeks off before and your cardio capacity does not go down that much normally.

Reactions: 1quick

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Similar . Had COVID couple weeks back almost identical time as you. I would say 2-3 days was the worst. Then I just had annoying head congestion and overly groggy feeling for about 9 days. After that did a few runs and mohahahhahaha was I sad. Definitely was feeling like covid kicked my endurance in the teeth. I need to get back out there been lazy since my foot has been hurting. Oh and my heart rate has been at least 20% higher on my runs. Now I have taken weeks off before and your cardio capacity does not go down that much normally.
My heart rate seemed normal ish but I was slower and Iā€™m feeling like Iā€™m winded but Iā€™m not breathing that hard, my heart rate after my first mile of running as hard as I could was 155

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
My heart rate seemed normal ish but I was slower and Iā€™m feeling like Iā€™m winded but Iā€™m not breathing that hard, my heart rate after my first mile of running as hard as I could was 155
Yep. Same here. Something definitely felt off but definitely was not breathing hard. Oh welpz. I survived. LOL

Reactions: 1quick

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Alright you running and jogging freaks.... got a question. I did try a short jog last night since the weather was nice. I had very low expectations, which I didn't even meet. I knew the inside of the knees were going to hurt and mentally prepared for it (beer). After a little warm up of walking and "slow" jogging, I stepped up the pace to a blistering 5mph. Within 30 seconds the front of the both of my knees were really starting to hurt. Felt like in a vertical line. Was enough that after two blocks I had to back it down to a walk and head home.

Any idea what that was? If I can get a big ol' bucket full of narcotics for pain relief I know it'll help cover what I'm feeling inside the knees (did this during physical therapy), but the outside was an unpleasant surprise.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Alright you running and jogging freaks.... got a question. I did try a short jog last night since the weather was nice. I had very low expectations, which I didn't even meet. I knew the inside of the knees were going to hurt and mentally prepared for it (beer). After a little warm up of walking and "slow" jogging, I stepped up the pace to a blistering 5mph. Within 30 seconds the front of the both of my knees were really starting to hurt. Felt like in a vertical line. Was enough that after two blocks I had to back it down to a walk and head home.

Any idea what that was? If I can get a big ol' bucket full of narcotics for pain relief I know it'll help cover what I'm feeling inside the knees (did this during physical therapy), but the outside was an unpleasant surprise.
You need to really work on your mobility. And check out this guy on IG: https://www.instagram.com/kneesovertoesguy/?hl=en

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

i avoid all running unless being chased, would wear some knee brace things though the few "recent" times i did though and they felt a lot better.

fyi i think running is one of the most injury prone exercises you can do, especially as you get older. apparently our natural intuition is any idiot can go outside and do this, but the reality is you have all sorts of horrible habits and form and no one there to correct you, so it just ends up being rough on your body unless you work to fix that stuff. so better off to pick up a different cardio hobby like cycling.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
i avoid all running unless being chased, would wear some knee brace things though the few "recent" times i did though and they felt a lot better.

fyi i think running is one of the most injury prone exercises you can do, especially as you get older. apparently our natural intuition is any idiot can go outside and do this, but the reality is you have all sorts of horrible habits and form and no one there to correct you, so it just ends up being rough on your body unless you work to fix that stuff. so better off to pick up a different cardio hobby like cycling.
I used to run track and cross country in high school. So my form is decent. My knees are shot from abusing the shit out them (I'm old), and almost tearing my right leg off at the knee. It's pretty much bone-on-bone when I try to run. But I get tired of cycling everywhere and used to jog/run about 3-4 miles just to warm up.

Reactions: sickmint79

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Decided to give old mountain bike a work out. Only second ride of the season. Old girl can still put the miles in. Road some of the paths by Batavia and Geneva. I prefer not to typically ride them those damn runners get in the way (j/k). But do you really need to take up a 8 foot wide trail with 5 people then get salty when I zoom past :p. Anyhoot I always run on grass line when running on trails that are busy.

ED96F385-B5B5-4049-8C56-F4290D873620.jpeg

D04D25BC-372C-43F0-B0D9-015A194CD99C.jpeg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
But do you really need to take up a 8 foot wide trail with 5 people then get salty when I zoom past
I run into this problem a lot. If you're being so self-absorbed that you have earbuds in/headphone on, or are using spearkphone while walking down the middle of an eight foot wide path, then you don't get the right to be pissy when I have to zip past you, after i've called out my presence 5x.

GFY

Nowadays if even see that someone has earbuds in, or headphones on I don't even bother with a courtesy call.

Reactions: bimmer4life

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Decided to give old mountain bike a work out. Only second ride of the season. Old girl can still put the miles in. Road some of the paths by Batavia and Geneva. I prefer not to typically ride them those damn runners get in the way (j/k). But do you really need to take up a 8 foot wide trail with 5 people then get salty when I zoom past :p. Anyhoot I always run on grass line when running on trails that are busy.

View attachment 131082

View attachment 131083
Wanted to get a easy second workout in while my daughter was at a gymnastics camp. So found this pretty cool trail in Huntley. Itā€™s all grass and itā€™s up and down. If you donā€™t like unsure footing and your ankles moving a different direction each step this is not for you. Although could be nice hiking trail for most. I did not get to explore it all as I was limited on time and ran into a roadblock. Other then that it was fun little trail and harder run then I was looking for but I survived lol

30C4F315-2117-475B-823E-10758D83E083.jpeg

D8E71722-B9D9-4986-8C25-DE3D45C0E42D.jpeg

EA771FCB-AC8D-4565-8AB1-DBE2A75A27DF.jpeg

74975C31-DE27-44B4-A470-C4E9B936F2A9.jpeg

9FA1F6F3-E4CB-4B7B-A576-A0644E260704.jpeg

159D5203-2B19-4D4D-9769-B0E5FA5AFA05.jpeg

E3C316DA-5B3B-46F3-AAA4-43B45A625F04.jpeg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I had two self-entitled ass fucks running side-by-side on the paved path between Kird Rd and 25. The path was maybe 6' wide due to the overgrowth of bushes. I started making my announcement a good 100' back.

Nothing.

Again at 50', 30', 20' and 10'.

Totally oblivious, with their white airpods blasting away listening to the TED talks. Basically right on their heels and I'm yelling "BEHIND YOU!". Did that three times. No acknowledgement. I said fuck it and went around on the left, almost brushing into him.

The verbal assault they unleashed was quite comical. Told them if they didn't want to get run over then don't take up the whole path and not be aware of your surroundings. The dude started getting really confrontational. Being on the bicycle I knew he wasn't going to catch me. Still didn't stop me from whipping out my 3.25" knife and asking if he wanted to discuss it further there, or at the hospital.

That shut him up real quick.

I'm not even sorry. Fuck you if you can't be bothered to pay attention to what's going on around you because you're so ignorant and self-absorbed. If I'm listening to music I check over my shoulder every 30 seconds to make sure no one is coming up behind me. I rarely use the ear buds though. Mostly in the evening when I know I'm the only person on the path heading in that particular direction, and no one will be passing me. Plus helps keeps the bugs out of my ears. :ROFLMAO:
bugs swarm GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Rent Free

Thread Info