šŸ„ Health Exercise thread - Fitness, Recreational, etc

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So, I know we have a workout thread, but it tends to cater more towards the lifting (weights) side of things and I didn't want to continue to muddy it up with walking/hiking/bicycling/jogging/running/etc stats (basically cardio). The hiking thread was a good idea (thanks Spivitz Spivitz), but has more of a scenic and photographic tone to it and would like to keep it along that scope.

Thought I throw this one up as a catch-all for other activities, whether they are for fitness, recreation, or whatever. Basically non-lifting related things, although they are most certainly welcome especially if it is part of a circuit.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
As mentioned in the workout thread (I think), I managed to ride just over 1,300 miles last year, and plan to exceed that for 2022. However since we're still in below-freezing temps and it is the winter season the best I can manage is doing some walking.

I tend to favor McKee Marsh over in Warrenville since it is a non-strenuous loop that is roughly 2.65 miles. So far have I just over 22 miles in for the start of the year, which includes some walking in my neighborhood.

2022-01-09
2022-01-09 - McKee Marsh Walk.png

2022-01-23
2022-01-23 - McKee Marsh Walk.png

2022-01-30
2022-01-30 - McKee Marsh Walk.png

2022-02-06 (first lap)
2022-02-06 - McKee Marsh Walk #1.png

2022-02-06 (second lap)
2022-02-06 - McKee Marsh Walk #2.png

5378B441-5DFB-4D83-ACD7-817CB7BC19DA.jpeg

121B5396-AE73-4ABE-8063-6879C5141F8D.jpeg

E97496D6-43BF-4083-BDFF-A5A94A1CF935.jpeg

DDA037C7-DD16-406B-BF07-1EA81A548480.jpeg

BC5ABDD0-D827-4091-AF00-EB94FFAF0ADF.jpeg

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
So, I know we have a workout thread, but it tends to cater more towards the lifting (weights) side of things and I didn't want to continue to muddy it up with walking/hiking/bicycling/jogging/running/etc stats (basically cardio). The hiking thread was a good idea (thanks Spivitz Spivitz), but has more of a scenic and photographic tone to it and would like to keep it along that scope.

Thought I throw this one up as a catch-all for other activities, whether they are for fitness, recreation, or whatever. Basically non-lifting related things, although they are most certainly welcome especially if it is part of a circuit.
I try to break up that meat head talk with cardio ? j/k but this thread works to

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
As far as goals I would like to break 2k running and 1k on the bike this year . These past two weeks and sub zero temps have been mentally brutal. But I still turn that door knob and get out there. Even though everything goes numb and limbs feel like logs .I like running and biking herick/st james farm/ Blackwell when not iced over . I get some funny looks running in -10 with my ice beard .?

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Yeah, I mean it's an excellent resource for lifting and supplements, so I didn't want to keep dropping general exercise stuff in it.

Isn't McKee Marsh like five minutes from your house?
Yep Blackwell 5 minutes or less. Iā€™ll typicall run through st james over to Blackwell. Then up the sleeding hill.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I want to be more active to go along with the weight loss but I think I broke a bone in my foot. Hurts behind my big toe. I put inserts in my shoes in case it is plantar fasciitis related and it has been getting better. Recent problem is the dog stepped on it two days ago and brought the pain back. Stupid dog.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
As far as goals I would like to break 2k running and 1k on the bike this year . These past two weeks and sub zero temps have been mentally brutal. But I still turn that door knob and get out there. Even though everything goes numb and limbs feel like logs .I like running and biking herick/st james farm/ Blackwell when not iced over . I get some funny looks running in -10 with my ice beard .?
Man, I'd really like to be able to run or jog again, but the damage to my knee prevents it. The bicycling has to make up for it.

2,000 miles running is really impressive. I mean I can cover 12-14mph on a bicycle and do up to 60 miles in a trip, and still only managed to eek out 1300 miles last season.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yep Blackwell 5 minutes or less. Iā€™ll typicall run through st james over to Blackwell. Then up the sleeding hill.
When it gets warmer and the snow/ice melts, I'd like to do a McKee lap, then walk the trail down into Blackwell, then come back. Shouldn't be too hard.

When Blackwell beach used to be open we'd go swimming there. I remember back in the mid to late 70's just being there every single day during the summer. Was a great time. We'd occasionally walk up Mt. Trashmore from the west side's parking lot.

Reactions: bimmer4life

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Next time I go to the orthopedic doctor I should ask if there is anything short of rebuilding my knee that I can do to jog/run again. Back in 2006 I had a motorcycle accident where essentially my right leg tried to detach itself at the knee. Ended up with reconstructive surgery, including pulling down the LCL like a window shade and replacing the PCL (one of the two strands). Tore the meniscus and almost the patella tendon. Couldn't walk for three months, then spent the next three learning to walk again.

So now when I attempt to jog or run the pain is excruciating. Have to keep activities to non-impact like cycling. I miss it too, used to run a lot in and after high school.

• Sad

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Had decent week. But like you said staying injury free is a something I struggle with as well.
i'm under the impression that running is one of the most injury prone things people do, especially as they get older and when they've never been trained on how to do it really properly.

my cardio is pretty shit, will look to get a bike when back in thailand, although i don't plan to necessarily go on long rides for it vs. just use it as a get around in my bubble to burn off a few calories instead of sitting on a scooter

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
These are my go to for knee support when running.

Iā€™m going to have to look into those. Might not be able to run, but I bet theyā€™ll help a lot when walking/hiking across terrain with elevation changes. Iā€™d like to do the Manitou Incline again and the knee support would be great.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
The Wife and I use to run all the time, we averaged about 35ish miles a week which included at least a 10 mile run every Saturday. We started doing timed 5K events and I always did well for my age group, top 5 at every race. Although I was fitted for and had really good running shoes, I still suffered from shin splints and other minor injuries. We stopped mainly because both of our knees really started to bother us and a little bit of laziness/boredom. My knees are probably shot from 20+ years of competitive softball and a lot of pickup basketball over the years. Bought a used Trek hybrid bike last year and planned on putting some miles on it. Paid to have it tuned up and the brakes done, never rode the fucking thing at all lol. I'm hoping to start this year. I'll do some light running on a treadmill as that doesnt effect my knees as much

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Wife are trying to get our more and explore areas more areas with biking, hiking, walking, running would be great but my wife has a hard time running.

yesterday we did a bike ride with our friends was did about 12 miles or so round trip around the town and some paved trails along the beach etc.

Our goal at the moment is 45-60 mins of biking every other day, either in the morning when the kids go off to school or after dinner. Kids Sports nights which is two days week we are looking to get back to walking to get our steps in for the day while they are at practice.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I really don't like cardio but I know it's necessary. In 2020 I got pretty good at riding my bike, but I didn't touch it at all in 2021. I'll get back in to it this year

The only cardio that I can tolerate aside from riding outside is the treadmill at max incline (15%), 3mph (with one or two short 6mph "jogs"), for 15-30 minutes. That beats the hell out of me. HR hits 170 within a few minutes and stays there, low impact because you're only doing 3mph, and after 30 minutes of it I'm legit soaked in sweat. I probably do ~60 mins of this per week. A guy I follow on IG is 270 lbs and does this for 40 mins straight with a 40lb weight vest lol, dude is a straight up beast.

• Wow
Reactions: Shawn1112

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
i'm under the impression that running is one of the most injury prone things people do, especially as they get older and when they've never been trained on how to do it really properly.

my cardio is pretty shit, will look to get a bike when back in thailand, although i don't plan to necessarily go on long rides for it vs. just use it as a get around in my bubble to burn off a few calories instead of sitting on a scooter
There are so many things that go into staying healthy from an injury aspect with running. Definitely form and couple days of strength training are key. Without these most people end up stopping running because of knee/hip/joint/leg pains. Some folks can run into their 80s if they are vigilant with a routine. Below are things I do now I did not do in my late 30s(when I started running again) that have allowed me to actually increase my mileage compared to 10 years ago when I struggled badly with stress fractures and achilles tendon issues. Obviously , what works for one body type might not work for another. I am no spring chicken anymore that's for sure.

- Slowly increasing mileage. Large weekly jumps will 100% introduce lower extremity injuries. I believe rule of thumb is 10-15% increase weekly.
- Decreased body weight. You should walk before running. Try to shed pounds first. The more weight you carry the more likely you will injure yourself.
- Cross training for lower impact. I choose to ride mountain or road bike for this. But swimming is awesome as well.
- Foam rolling pre and post workout. This has helped me the most. Although, this is tedious and painful it really does work the tendons and muscles to relieve pain and fatigue.
Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 8.44.13 AM.png
- Strength training x2/x3 times a week. This for me anyhow is typically only body weight type of activity. As examples squats/reverse lunges/ calf raises/ planks/abdominal workouts etc
- Stretching. I have definitely had to put a lot of time into stretching post workout. There are some conflicting oppions on stretching pre-run as you muscles have not been warmed up or are not as elastic(cold rubberband concept). I typically do not stretch pre run unless im doing a race.
- Diet (And I struggle with this). But having the right amount of nutrients has helped my muscles and body recover between long runs.
- Sleep. (Also struggle with this due to most like apnea/waiting for CPAP machine :)). But getting adequate sleep helps restore your body and less likely to get injured.
- Supplements. Not sure how much this actually matters. But I am pretty vigilant in taking them. As example I used to pop IBU(400mgx2 daily) to reduce pain from running . Which really is not great for your Kidneys etc. I now use Glucosamine/Chondrotin. And have less pain now then I have ever had. This could be also because of all the other things listed above as well. But I see no harm in taking this supplement.
- Self massage with theragun
- Gastron method. Basically scraping muscles/tendons to stimulate blood flow in that area for repair. I do this on my achilles often and works like a champ from any injuries returning.
Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 8.44.45 AM.png

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I'd love to find more places for long hikes around the area. My gf and I try to walk during the week but on the weekends we'd love to do a 5-10 miler. We're planning on Starved Rock and Waterfall Glen in the spring.
If your ever near Peoria (not to far from Starve rock). I love hiking/jogging in Detweiller park. Maybe not as pretty but definitely a good hike.

Did small jog there when my daughter was down there for a camp. Pretty good elevation gain.

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 9.02.36 AM.png

Reactions: Lead Pipe

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
If your ever near Peoria (not to far from Starve rock). I love hiking/jogging in Detweiller park. Maybe not as pretty but definitely a good hike.

Did small jog there when my daughter was down there for a camp. Pretty good elevation gain.

View attachment 111723

Sweet, thanks. This is definitely the info I'm looking for. A nice drive and hike makes for a good Sunday.

Kizzlebizz

Regular
Oct 26, 2020
I try to break up that meat head talk with cardio ? j/k but this thread works to
I used to run. I used to run a pretty good bit. 23:30 5k, 13:30 2 mile, 10 miles sub 90 minutes, 5 miles in 48ish, did a half I think around 1:48...I just can't take running like I used to.

I should really start riding a bike or at least knocking out a couple miles a week, but damn if I just don't have the drive in me anymore.

Reactions: Shawn1112

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I used to run. I used to run a pretty good bit. 23:30 5k, 13:30 2 mile, 10 miles sub 90 minutes, 5 miles in 48ish, did a half I think around 1:48...I just can't take running like I used to.

I should really start riding a bike or at least knocking out a couple miles a week, but damn if I just don't have the drive in me anymore.
Good stuff on those times. I was happy I PR'd in basically all distances this past year. And my best times were previously in my mid 30's. I also struggle with the drive once and a while. But then after I do a work out it really clears any mental struggles i am dealing with at that time. Well and my son is running Xcountry so going to his track/XC meets really gets me motivated to keep going. LOL

Thread Info