đź’¬ OT Does anyone else hope malls make a comeback?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I just recently found out Sears here still exists….and fuck them lol
I can say that now since they no longer sign my paychecks. :D

Back when I was furloughed, they had 465 brick and mortars. I can't find anything on the SEC website since an 8k form filed in January 2020 (before I was furloughed. So who knows how many are left).

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So trying to find a thread where we talked about the former Sears, I found out yesterday, that the corporate HQ in Hoffman has been sold (around Mid Sept) for $194M. It (the campus) will be demolished and a new data center will be built on the property. No date has been set for demolition yet though.

1697158562512.png

Reactions: v6buicks

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Really there's only a few stores in a mall I'd miss, otherwise it's a place the wife kinda drags me through. I miss Radio Shack as horrid as they were it's nice to have a place you can find a couple resistors now and again. I miss Frys for the same reason although they went down hill later in life sadly. Clothing stores and places that sell trinkets overall don't appeal to me much.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Really there's only a few stores in a mall I'd miss, otherwise it's a place the wife kinda drags me through. I miss Radio Shack as horrid as they were it's nice to have a place you can find a couple resistors now and again. I miss Frys for the same reason although they went down hill later in life sadly. Clothing stores and places that sell trinkets overall don't appeal to me much.
Micro center is where I go for that kind of stuff, otherwise Amazon is usually a day away.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I do miss malls. I can't stand Christmas shopping at places like Algonquin Commons or Deerpark. You sit in traffic so much more often having to go to all the stores you want instead of just sitting in traffic once on the way in and once on the way out. Amazon is an option but sometimes it's nice just to get out. I treat Amazon like Harbor Freight meaning it where I buy my cheap chinese garbage.

I am looking forward to where malls are heading though. How we knew them is dead but Spring Hill is supposed to be repurposed with more restaurants, bars and housing. They have been doing this to Hawthorn and it's pretty cool. It really only benefits you if you live or work close though and I do.

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
It’s interesting when I visit Mexico, there’s a mall very close to the hotel I stay at in downtown Monterrey. It’s got 2-3 levels and is enormous. Has one of everything it seems, a ton of brands from international to local places. Even has 2 or 3 7-11s in it. One shop that caught my eye sells hand made knives of all categories (I will post photos of it some time). It gets to the point that it feels like a time warp where mall culture never died and this is what it would be like if it was still a thing in the US. So yeah, at that point I feel like I miss mall culture a bit because it’s actually still worth going to.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
It’s interesting when I visit Mexico, there’s a mall very close to the hotel I stay at in downtown Monterrey. It’s got 2-3 levels and is enormous. Has one of everything it seems, a ton of brands from international to local places. Even has 2 or 3 7-11s in it. One shop that caught my eye sells hand made knives of all categories (I will post photos of it some time). It gets to the point that it feels like a time warp where mall culture never died and this is what it would be like if it was still a thing in the US. So yeah, at that point I feel like I miss mall culture a bit because it’s actually still worth going to.
Is that the one in San Pedro Garza Garcia? That mall is massive. It's fun to walk through there. It is kind of like a step back in time. It's always busy and every storefront is occupied. It's so different than the current state of our malls in the U.S. It's also crazy to still see Sears stores in Mexico.

I was at Yorktown Mall recently and it was kind of depressing. It was a weeknight, but man that place was quiet. A lot of storefront vacancies and a huge vacancy where Carson's used to be.

Reactions: Z28Camaro

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Is woodfield still as popular as it was? I remember that place being PACKED no matter what.

considering the times they have been doing okay, the mall has maintained a 95%+ occupancy rate. Schaumburg is also rezoning some empty office space surrounding the mall for residential conversions, seems like a no brainer.

Thread Info