💬 OT Does anyone else hope malls make a comeback?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Malls have fallen into a degenerative mess, pass
Not all of them. Down here Yorktown remodeled reciently. Some of the outlying big department stores are empty though. Oakbrook is very nice still.

I have been doing some shopping the last few weeks as I am doing a bunch of remodeling and redecorating at my house. I was amazed at how busy the malls were. The budget, big lot type of stores were packed. You couldn't tell people are hurting financially by how long the lines were at the checkout counters. But does explain the credit card debt climbing. lol

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Vivid

Regular
Jun 14, 2023
Thankfully, I only set foot in Gurnee Mills via the Bass Pro Shop entrance, and I don't leave Bass Pro. Otherwise, I'd be all Gran Torino on those fucking idiots.

disgusted face GIF

I haven’t set foot in Gurnee mills (not including Bass Pro) in about 10 years.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Another Stratford alumni here. Grew up there. Then when Charlestowne got built in the early 90's and now it's a shell too.

Parts of it are being demolished, I don't think the whole mall is. What remains was to be redeveloped. When I drove by the alma mater (Sears) over at Stratford, one of the loading dock areas was completely flooded.

Sbarro has a white cheddar mac & cheese that was really good.

Reactions: BOTTLEFED

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
The outside Premium Outlet malls around here are still quite populated, pretty much the inside malls as well. Though I'm sure it has declined, it is still getting decent traffic.
Down here by us the outdoor mall places are always busy but those seem be the outlet style concept.

Sarasota mall the weekends it’s packed with all ages, weekdays just retired walkers getting in steps.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Down here by us the outdoor mall places are always busy but those seem be the outlet style concept.

Sarasota mall the weekends it’s packed with all ages, weekdays just retired walkers getting in steps.
Sarasota Square on Tamiami Trail by 41 of The Mall at University Town Center by University Pkwy & 75?

The one by University Town seems to always be busy. Especially with all the strip malls around it. Traffic in that area is horrible these days.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
When I visit Mexico for work, the hotel I stay in is attached to a massive mall. The place is always busy too. It's kind of fun to walk through because it feels like a step back in time. Just about every single store front is occupied and overall the place seems to be thriving. There is even a Sears that's still open. Maybe it's just that particular spot because it is a wealthy part of Mexico, and somewhat of a tourist area.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sarasota Square on Tamiami Trail by 41 of The Mall at University Town Center by University Pkwy & 75?

The one by University Town seems to always be busy. Especially with all the strip malls around it. Traffic in that area is horrible these days.
Sarasota square will be going away soon, except for Costco / movie theater. They will be building condos / apartments on that property and have dining / entertainment/ shopping options.

about the same they will be doing at York Town mall shortly.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I always seem to goto outlet malls that are more expensive than buying shit at a regular store. 😂😂 I must be doing it wrong.

I do want to goto aurora soon since they opened a Direct Tool outlet there and sometimes their prices are better. Sometimes it’s like $5-$10 difference.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
What if a smaller mall was filled with almost ALL food and beverage vendors? Nano/micro brews, grilles, distilleries, bakeries, coffee, maybe even a farmers market. Something for everyone and all year long. The common areas could be seating and live entertainment. It might be stinky in a closed building but modifications could be made of course. Idk. Talking out my ass cause you all made me hungry.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
What if a smaller mall was filled with almost ALL food and beverage vendors? Nano/micro brews, grilles, distilleries, bakeries, coffee, maybe even a farmers market. Something for everyone and all year long. The common areas could be seating and live entertainment. It might be stinky in a closed building but modifications could be made of course. Idk. Talking out my ass cause you all made me hungry.
It’s called a food hall. Already a concept…..

Here’s one of many around me https://www.edgewaterpublicmarket.com/

Reactions: v6buicks

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
When I visit Mexico for work, the hotel I stay in is attached to a massive mall. The place is always busy too. It's kind of fun to walk through because it feels like a step back in time. Just about every single store front is occupied and overall the place seems to be thriving. There is even a Sears that's still open. Maybe it's just that particular spot because it is a wealthy part of Mexico, and somewhat of a tourist area.
Sears Mexico is NOT related to Sears here. They paid us a royalty percentage of sales to use the name and logos (Sears and Kmart) in Mexico. Coles Myer (a major chain in Australia and New Zealand) also did the same.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Sears Mexico is NOT related to Sears here. They paid us a royalty percentage of sales to use the name and logos (Sears and Kmart) in Mexico. Coles Myer (a major chain in Australia and New Zealand) also did the same.
I just recently found out Sears here still exists….and fuck them lol

BOTTLEFED

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 7, 2015
I was in Stratford a few months ago for my "curiosity" and its a ghost town only thing left is FYE record store and kohl's, It was funny talking to the guy in FYE he is holding out for something good to happen lol. I watched that mall being built when I was a kid so its sad to see where things have gone, HOWEVER, I can't stand being in places with a bunch of dickhead kids running around, GET OFF MY LAWN!

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I was in Stratford a few months ago for my "curiosity" and its a ghost town only thing left is FYE record store and kohl's, It was funny talking to the guy in FYE he is holding out for something good to happen lol. I watched that mall being built when I was a kid so its sad to see where things have gone, HOWEVER, I can't stand being in places with a bunch of dickhead kids running around, GET OFF MY LAWN!
Can only buy your jeans online now?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
only thing left is FYE record store and kohl's, It was funny talking to the guy in FYE he is holding out for something good to happen lol.
Lol FYE is a store chain that seems to have gone to complete shit since CDs and DVDs went away. They seem to have a decent amount of vinyl, but the rest is like anime plushies and stupid dust collectors for movie and video game nerds. Another piece of the bygone era which will ensure that malls are never the same again.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Lol FYE is a store chain that seems to have gone to complete shit since CDs and DVDs went away. They seem to have a decent amount of vinyl, but the rest is like anime plushies and stupid dust collectors for movie and video game nerds. Another piece of the bygone era which will ensure that malls are never the same again.
Fuuuuck...

Fye is where I got Significant Other....

Thread Info