💬 OT Does anyone else hope malls make a comeback?

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Me and my girl were just talking about this yesterday as we drove past Springhill, which is closing in like a week or two.
Malls should make a comeback IMO. These outdoor commons are nice, but only on nice days. If it's cold, raining, snowing or even too hot, no one wants to be outside walking around. They are also super inconvenient to go from one end to the other. You have to drive in more instances.
Indoor malls are nice to just have something to do. Go in, walk around, grab a snack and people watch.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I will say, I do miss being able to have an Auntie Anne pretzel, step over 20' for a massive ass chocolate chip cookie, then turn around and walk about 50' to inhale a Cinnabon.

die young GIF

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Clayton Keller Hockey GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

I will say we have a Crumbl near us. My wife and the kid go get that now and again, it blows my mind how many calories one of their cookies has in it. I mean, I can absolutely feel that go to my love handles.
I havent really had a Crumbl that is amazing IMO. Meanwhile the cookie place near Auntie Anne's had a giant peanut butter half dipped in chocolate cookie that was literally such an amazing treat. Dont @ me.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Stratford Square - gone

Stratford Square Mall, once a hub of retail anchored by Montgomery Ward and other long-gone department stores, will shut its doors next month.

The zombie mall has been declining for years. Fed up with the status quo, the village of Bloomingdale began independently buying vacant anchor stores around Stratford Square. Earlier this year, the village purchased the last piece — the core of the mall — in an $8.75 million deal.

With the mall under village ownership and the property consolidation complete, officials are helping the few remaining tenants relocate to new spaces. After more than 40 years in business, the mall is set to close to the public at 6 p.m. Sunday, April 21, officials said in a statement.

For some residents, the mall’s demise was sad but inevitable.

In a sign of the times, another suburban mall, Spring Hill, straddling West Dundee and Carpentersville, closed for good last Friday.

Bloomingdale officials say they aim to revitalize the area with a blend of restaurants, entertainment venues, retail, housing options and public open spaces. Village President Franco Coladipietro has said he envisions a mixed-use development with an “emphasis on entertainment experience” replacing the mall.

Stratford Square opened in the mall-rat era, filling the shopping void between Woodfield, the king of suburban malls, to the north and the higher-end Oak Brook shopping center. The mall at one point had six anchor stores, a movie theater and a dancing water fountain.

But while other enclosed malls sought reinvention and a new look, Stratford Square remained largely stagnant and past its prime.

Bloomingdale leaders initially tried to work on a joint venture with Namdar Realty Group, a New York-based commercial real estate firm that acquired the interior portion of the mall in October 2019.

But those negotiations faltered, and Bloomingdale moved to acquire the former Carson's, Burlington and Sears properties along with the strip of land along Springfield Drive.

Namdar and Mason Asset Management stated in January saying they had “agreed to sell the property to allow for its demolition and enable the village to advance its vision for redevelopment.”

The village’s statement said the “project not only promises to reshape Bloomingdale's landscape but also to strengthen its financial foundation.”

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Stratford Square - gone

Stratford Square Mall, once a hub of retail anchored by Montgomery Ward and other long-gone department stores, will shut its doors next month.

The zombie mall has been declining for years. Fed up with the status quo, the village of Bloomingdale began independently buying vacant anchor stores around Stratford Square. Earlier this year, the village purchased the last piece — the core of the mall — in an $8.75 million deal.

With the mall under village ownership and the property consolidation complete, officials are helping the few remaining tenants relocate to new spaces. After more than 40 years in business, the mall is set to close to the public at 6 p.m. Sunday, April 21, officials said in a statement.

For some residents, the mall’s demise was sad but inevitable.

In a sign of the times, another suburban mall, Spring Hill, straddling West Dundee and Carpentersville, closed for good last Friday.

Bloomingdale officials say they aim to revitalize the area with a blend of restaurants, entertainment venues, retail, housing options and public open spaces. Village President Franco Coladipietro has said he envisions a mixed-use development with an “emphasis on entertainment experience” replacing the mall.

Stratford Square opened in the mall-rat era, filling the shopping void between Woodfield, the king of suburban malls, to the north and the higher-end Oak Brook shopping center. The mall at one point had six anchor stores, a movie theater and a dancing water fountain.

But while other enclosed malls sought reinvention and a new look, Stratford Square remained largely stagnant and past its prime.

Bloomingdale leaders initially tried to work on a joint venture with Namdar Realty Group, a New York-based commercial real estate firm that acquired the interior portion of the mall in October 2019.

But those negotiations faltered, and Bloomingdale moved to acquire the former Carson's, Burlington and Sears properties along with the strip of land along Springfield Drive.

Namdar and Mason Asset Management stated in January saying they had “agreed to sell the property to allow for its demolition and enable the village to advance its vision for redevelopment.”

The village’s statement said the “project not only promises to reshape Bloomingdale's landscape but also to strengthen its financial foundation.”

I'm thinking Bloomingdale will do what Vernon Hills is doing with Hawthorn mall. I also saw Indian Lakes was sold to a developer to revamp the entire hotel and golf course.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I'm thinking Bloomingdale will do what Vernon Hills is doing with Hawthorn mall. I also saw Indian Lakes was sold to a developer to revamp the entire hotel and golf course.
This is the plan with Spring Hill too. They have already started the planning to tear it down. I see a lot of equipment already being set up. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

Reactions: radioguy6

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
St. Charles has been trying to do something with that for years now, trying to get the owners of the mall to the table to do something and redevelop it. With Pheasant Run quickly coming down (wondering how long it will be before the hotel tower comes down as they've completely gutted it) and turning in to dealeships and an industrial park. Now would be a good time to rethink Charlestowne.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Stratford? Or Hawthorne?

Nothing has been demo'd at Stratford yet. Woodmans has a store attached to it and of course the outer ring now has developed with Medical offices (Central DuPage Hospital/NW Medicine), office buildings and homes on the SE corner, Texas Roadhouse, etc...

The last time I actually drove to check out the alma mater (sears), the loading dock area was submerged in nasty ass stagnant water.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
personally I'm more excited for Indian Lakes Resort rescuing the abandoned 27 hole golf course and not turning it into another distribution center.

I noticed they tore down almost half of Hawthorn Mall and made it into what looks like apartments.
That just seems awful.

they left the anchors and movie theater, added 4-5 story apartments, shops and restaurants. its a partial city lifestyle in the burbs. I guess anything is better than a vacant mall sitting.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I don't think any distribution centers (or anything industrial) being put there. Zoning wouldn't permit it. That's all surrounded by residential homes and the only access is off Schick, which you can bet residents would raise holy hell if industrial traffic starts becoming the norm on that section. It will probably just become another sub-division, maybe golf course centric.

Thread Info