Chevy Express 3500 tuning

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
There are tunes out there that will wake them up a lot... removes the dead pedal and a lot of the torque management BS. A 4500# trailer shouldn’t be an issue whatsoever, I towed plenty of heavy shit with a 2500 ‘burb with 3.73’s and it never felt taxed. We tow fucking skid steers around with 6.0 trucks, a small camper shouldn’t be an issue.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I almost went with forced induction with my 6.0/4l80e/3.73 Silverado to help with towing. After lots of math and research, I decided it wasn't going to work well. It would take a giant intercooler or lots of meth to keep the air charge cool on sustained climbs. LS engines also don't seem to do well under boost for longer periods of time.

In the end, I switched it to electric fans, put in a new radiator, bigger trans cooler, and tuned it. Basically no difference other than much cooler transmission temps.

4.10's will help you out some, but it's still going to really struggle in the mountains.

You need a V10 Excursion.

wait what

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
it's a side step.

diesel excursion would be an upgrade.

go eat something. you're hangry.

Yeeasss.
bRGhCP2.jpg

pdalach

Jul 26, 2019
lol

Yeah...I'll talk to my mechanic about getting the 4.10. I think a transmission cooler and tune might also be in order.

Here is the question I have: As I need a van for the next 8-10 years (until my oldest leaves the nest), and say I get my current van spiffed out for towing...can it feasibly last another 10 years? I don't know the lifespan of these vehicles. We're below 80k miles on our 2006, and we put only 5-8k miles a year. But at some point, other parts are going to start rotting. Worth just getting something newer? Or can our "workhorse pig" make it?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It may help, my dad has a bone stock 2500hd with a 6.0 and pulls a 10500lb boat across the country just fine, maybe there’s an actual issue with the motor, you could test fuel pressure under load and see if the pump is weak but not dead yet, if it’s high miles check the plugs and wires maybe just do a full tune up

Checking in as the owner of an 03 Escalade ESV with an LQ9. While there's a pretty darn significant difference in power it has 3.73s and AWD as well. It tows fine with this setup IMO and the curb weight is roughly equal. I don't expect miracles from it accelerating but it doesn't drag me down to tow a 17 foot RV that's likely in the 4500-5K range fully loaded along with 4 adult and 3 child passengers. Mileage was around 10mpg towing if I remember right. 10 not towing seems low to me even for a 6.0/80E setup with 3.73s.

Also, my cousin also just towed his entire life, in a 2001 Silverado 1500 HD (6.0, 4L80E, 3.73's) from the UP to Utah in a ~15' enclosed trailer. Truck has nearly 400K miles on it (motor about 100K). Trans took a shit 30 miles from his destination, but that's besides the point

Yeah, I did forget to mention my Escalade is over 200K miles too so it's no spring chicken. It's seen 2 1500ish mile trips in the last two years hauling that RV.

There are tunes out there that will wake them up a lot... removes the dead pedal and a lot of the torque management BS. A 4500# trailer shouldn’t be an issue whatsoever, I towed plenty of heavy shit with a 2500 ‘burb with 3.73’s and it never felt taxed. We tow fucking skid steers around with 6.0 trucks, a small camper shouldn’t be an issue.

6.0's don't tow well. Plain and simple. I had one. It sucked. My buddy that I race with has one as well. It won't even pull a grand prix in overdrive going 75mph down the interstate.

Explain how a v10 would not be a huge upgrade.

lol K. :rofl:

my truck pulls my ~10kish boat all over the KY hills & mountains and back twice a year without hesitation. but you do you man. tell us more about how sweet the 6.8 v10 is in a thread where someone is trying to get help for their current vehicle.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
lol

Yeah...I'll talk to my mechanic about getting the 4.10. I think a transmission cooler and tune might also be in order.

Here is the question I have: As I need a van for the next 8-10 years (until my oldest leaves the nest), and say I get my current van spiffed out for towing...can it feasibly last another 10 years? I don't know the lifespan of these vehicles. We're below 80k miles on our 2006, and we put only 5-8k miles a year. But at some point, other parts are going to start rotting. Worth just getting something newer? Or can our "workhorse pig" make it?

Add-on info: I've recently had my traction control kicking I start in when I accelarate from a stop. As well, very occasionally, I'll hear a highish pitched whine when accelerating that doesn't sound like a belt. Thought maybe it had to do with the throttle control.

Don’t step backwards into an older vehicle that would give you marginal gains. Your van has plenty of parts to keep it running, it’s just whether you think it’s worth to continue to put money into it. Parts for the 6.0 and trans are cheap enough, and the rest should be as cheap as trucks get. You could try and step into a newer one with the 6 speed auto, which would probably help with your towing too, even if you retained the 6.0.

Bottom line though, even in stock form, your van shouldn’t struggle, even at altitude, with a 4500-5000 pound trailer. Just because it doesn’t have many miles, doesn’t mean it can’t have issues. Not that I’m not trusting your mechanic, but there’s gotta be SOMETHING else going on here

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I almost went with forced induction with my 6.0/4l80e/3.73 Silverado to help with towing. After lots of math and research, I decided it wasn't going to work well. It would take a giant intercooler or lots of meth to keep the air charge cool on sustained climbs. LS engines also don't seem to do well under boost for longer periods of time.

In the end, I switched it to electric fans, put in a new radiator, bigger trans cooler, and tuned it. Basically no difference other than much cooler transmission temps.

4.10's will help you out some, but it's still going to really struggle in the mountains.

You need a V10 Excursion.

They did make a Dmax Express too now then getting one in a passenger configuration may be a bit of a trip though. Heck getting a 3500 in a passenger configuration was probably a bit of a trip IMO. They also made some 7400/8100 vans if I remember right. Now then I wouldn't want to have the MPG conversation around that but it may be a better option. Then again for the difference in coin you may be better off just trying to shove a cam in your current engine and do cooling upgrades as mentioned. HPT/datalogger is likely the first part of the conversation. I am wondering if you're getting detuned because of temperatures somewhere especially in the transmission and a towing torque converter may be worth looking into.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info