Chevy Express 3500 tuning

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Just using a quick calculator, currently at 2500 RPM in 3rd you should be running about 60 MPH and in 4th 2200 RPM is 70 mph.

Changing to 4.10's, 2400 rpm for 70 mph in 4th and 2750 for 60 mph in 3rd.

You're really only moving your RPM's up around 200 RPM, and should give you a little extra oomph.

But like has been said before, check all the system firsts before you start swapping rear gears

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
There's a ton of those stupid OBDII gauges...I have this one, and it works well enough, and should work just fine for what you need, and is only $80

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

Not all of those allow for user configurable parameters;

I had to program my ScanGauge to display Trans Temp, so if that guy doesn't allow for custom PID's it won't do Trans Temp.

Also, that Website looks like proper old school Geocities :p

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Not all of those allow for user configurable parameters;

I had to program my ScanGauge to display Trans Temp, so if that guy doesn't allow for custom PID's it won't do Trans Temp.

Also, that Website looks like proper old school Geocities :p

If it's a parameter monitored by the computer, it's programmable on the gauge to display in real time. You have choices for 4, 6, 8 gauges on one screen (any gauge you want), and there's I think 8-10 pages of gauges you can have. It'll also read codes, and pre-emptively give you codes, before they become CEL's (at least with my car it did). My only knock against it, is the refresh rate, which for temps it's fine (around 1 to .5 second refresh) but for boost it isn't great. My current gauge screen has Cat temp, boost, engine temp (idiot gauge is pegged at 200, but it bounces between 205 and 225 on the ultragauge), and intake air temp.

The website definitely leaves something to be desired, but it's been a great little tool.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Checking in as the owner of an 03 Escalade ESV with an LQ9. While there's a pretty darn significant difference in power it has 3.73s and AWD as well. It tows fine with this setup IMO and the curb weight is roughly equal. I don't expect miracles from it accelerating but it doesn't drag me down to tow a 17 foot RV that's likely in the 4500-5K range fully loaded along with 4 adult and 3 child passengers. Mileage was around 10mpg towing if I remember right. 10 not towing seems low to me even for a 6.0/80E setup with 3.73s.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Also, my cousin also just towed his entire life, in a 2001 Silverado 1500 HD (6.0, 4L80E, 3.73's) from the UP to Utah in a ~15' enclosed trailer. Truck has nearly 400K miles on it (motor about 100K). Trans took a shit 30 miles from his destination, but that's besides the point

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I have 6 kids, which locks me into only a few vehicles.

And I HAVE already looked into chevy express buses. I can't quite pull the trigger on one of those. Literally driving a short-bus...I can't imagine.

I’d seriously consider the 4.10s honestly, I think it’d make a real positive impact.

Side note; a blower would also help :jg:

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I almost went with forced induction with my 6.0/4l80e/3.73 Silverado to help with towing. After lots of math and research, I decided it wasn't going to work well. It would take a giant intercooler or lots of meth to keep the air charge cool on sustained climbs. LS engines also don't seem to do well under boost for longer periods of time.

In the end, I switched it to electric fans, put in a new radiator, bigger trans cooler, and tuned it. Basically no difference other than much cooler transmission temps.

4.10's will help you out some, but it's still going to really struggle in the mountains.

You need a V10 Excursion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info