Chevy Express 3500 tuning

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
you do have that tow rating. just not going to be a rocketship.

it's just a workhorse pig

3.73 is your rear gear ratio, 4l80e is what trans it has... which has a silly first gear.

4L80E & 4L85E RATIOS
1st 2.482 : 1

unless of course, something is actually wrong with it... like [MENTION=917]1quick[/MENTION] said, test fuel pressure, full tune up wouldn't hurt.

pdalach

Jul 26, 2019
Don't need a rocketship. And not looking to drop thousands on expensive mods. That's why I bought my mustang, to scratch that itch

But would it help to get a transmission cooler? Response on acceleration gets sluggish when pulling hard for a while. And I've had, in general, heat issues...thinking of overhauling my cooling system (I stupidity added radiator fix...bars leak).

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I tow a 4500 travel trailer with my 03 Suburban (5.3 4L60, 3.73s), and it really doesn't struggle much at all with 2 adults, 2 dogs and a toddler (No real Cargo on board as its mostly in the trailer).

That being said, you said "A Van full of Kids", and looking online your 3500 Van is still only rated to tow the same amount of weight as my Burb. My Burb (in theory) with 7 passengers, 2 dogs, and cargo would easily hit its GVWR and then obviously negatively impact its towing.

Also; my trailer is rated to be up to 6500lbs gross (it weighs 4500 bone dry, so you start adding all the supplies in the trailer plus water it can easily hundreds of pounds).

So all in all; I'd say it's just going to be a Slug without 4.10's while towing your family and the trailer.

I run a ScanGauge ($130 ish, there are cheaper options) in my truck so I can keep an eye on my Trans and Coolant temps straight from the sensors/ECU since the dashboard gauges are garbage on these trucks (your van included).

Also, keep an eye on your tire pressures on both the Van and the Trailer if you are hauling extended if you don't already. I bought a remote TMPS monitoring kit for my Trailer since I had a blow-out and didn't even notice until I got a phone call from someone behind me, highly recommended.

(Scan gauge top left of my dashboard cowl).

co5x7xU.jpg

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
What kind of gas mileage were you seeing towing? What about just around town?

That 6.0/3.73/4L80 should be MORE than good enough for what you're doing. If you were trying to tow 10K pounds, and the kids/junk yeah, I'd say it's time for an upgrade, but 4500 pounds should feel like nothing behind it.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
What kind of gas mileage were you seeing towing? What about just around town?

That 6.0/3.73/4L80 should be MORE than good enough for what you're doing. If you were trying to tow 10K pounds, and the kids/junk yeah, I'd say it's time for an upgrade, but 4500 pounds should feel like nothing behind it.

His setup is only rated to tow like 7600lbs regardless of it being a 3500.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
How is my setup only rated for 7600#? Not disagreeing, just curious how you determined that.

I'm seeing about 11 mpg around town and 7 mpg when I'm towing.

Emerson on the nose, that's where I pulled it.

Says 7400 if Extended wheel base, 7700 if regular wheel base for 06/07 3500 Express.

4.10's make a 2000lb difference in the rating, Being a 3500 alone makes it strong (4L80 and the 14 bolt rear IIRC), not fast.

4.10's will make the MPG even worse if that matters too.

pdalach

Jul 26, 2019
Great scott...that towing guide is amazing.

Doing some math with a 7700# tow rating: 4500# trailer, probably 500# of gear, 700# worth of people (kids are still small), firewood, etc.. It adds up quickly.

Add that to towing at elevation, I see why I may have had troubles last summer when we went to the Rockies. That's such a bummer.

I can't imagine changing the gear ratios would be cheap. And I'm not sure with how infrequently we tow, I'd want to lose the mpg when we aren't towing.

Makes me feel better that I know why my towing has been such crap.

Are there any cheapish mods that I can get that would make any difference?

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Gear change honestly wouldn't be that expensive...and the loss in economy between 3.73 to 4.10's wouldn't be that drastic. A MPG MAYBE 2 around town at most, but if you keep your foot out of it, you probably wouldn't even see a difference...If you were going from 3.27's or 3.55's, yeah you'd definitely see a difference.

But definitely do everything to make sure the truck is running right first, fuel pressure is right, not running too hot, any CEL's (maybe your bulb is dead :hsughlol: ), how's the trans temps, hows the trans fluid look, change your plugs (how do the old ones look?), etc etc etc.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Are there any cheapish mods that I can get that would make any difference?

Since you are just 2WD, I don't think switching gears is actually that bad cost wise; you'd need a Tune to go with it to really benefit.

i mean, id still make sure it isn't actually broken

make sure it's not running too hot after the water pump/stop leak shenanigans as well.

X2; like I mentioned earlier, the dash gauges are REALLY bad; I've had my truck hover near 240 (ScanGauge display) while in near 100* ambient with the A/C on full tilt idling after towing and the dash gauge barely displayed past the midway mark. I'm sure my coolant system has some air in the system and needs a flush, but I'd be blissfully unaware of that if it wasn't for a digital read-out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info