Chevy Express 3500 tuning

pdalach

Jul 26, 2019
My 2500 pulled 4k without much of a problem either. This guy likely has an extra 6500lbs though with all the extras.

Plus, what's the profile of your travel trailer? I absolutely hated pulling my 5000 lb enclosed trailer with it. Even behind my powerstroke, it still pulls hard as hell due to the wind resistance.

I am pulling a rockwood roo 233s. But I don't think I'm adding an extra 6500lbs worth of gear in the trailer + van.

But I can definitely vouch that my trailer is much worse in the wind. My last trip, going down a decent incline into solid head winds, I had to hit the gas pretty hard to maintain speed.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I am pulling a rockwood roo 233s. But I don't think I'm adding an extra 6500lbs worth of gear in the trailer + van.

But I can definitely vouch that my trailer is much worse in the wind. My last trip, going down a decent incline into solid head winds, I had to hit the gas pretty hard to maintain speed.
Only way to know is the scale...

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska

That thing is going to pull hard. It's bigger than my enclosed trailer. I doubt you have any problems, it's just a lot of surface area you're trying to move through the air.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
That is a really good question. I'm not sure. I don't think the brakes. At the least, I can engage the trailer brakes and get good grab from them.

The trailer could bearings could be seizing. I'm not confident I know how to test that.

Next time you’re on a trip get out when one of the minions has to take a leak and feel your hub. If it’s hot you’ve got issues. When I’m towing it’s literally a habit whenever I get out of the truck to feel each tire and bearing on the trailer.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
For the record, I have seen it more than once where one of these 2500/3500 vans had a different engine than the vin decoder/ whatnot is saying. Are you SURE it’s a 6.0?

Well things just got interesting

giphy.gif

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Disregard. I went back and saw RPO code for LQ4. To me it seems like you’re down on power somewhere. 3.73 to 4.10 isn’t that big of a difference to overcome. I literally towed a mini excavator with my 320,000 mile Yukon a few weeks ago and it just chugged along.

To answer the head casting ? Yes, you should be able to. But the vans were weird. They kinda got a melting pot of bullshit.

pdalach

Jul 26, 2019
I jacked my trailer up yesterday, and the tires roll freely.

I also looked into checking the inline fuel filter...it doesn't have one. I don't know yet how to check the filter in the tank. My next step is to pick up a fuel pressure tester, as I think I've finally identified the fuel pressure test port.

My mechanic is on vacation until the 12th. So, I won't know the cost of converting to 4.10 until then.

I do think the enclosed trailer is a problem...the effects of wind resistance, I think, is just something that doesn't get well represented in the "tow capacity" of a vehicle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info