Chevy Express 3500 tuning

pdalach

Jul 26, 2019
It took me some time to find my current Express V8 gasser. Lots of white cargo vans. Not as many passenger vans. And I lucked out that mine is NOT white.

Even fewer duramax non-shortbus passenger vans. Which I've considered.

At this point, I think I have a game plan for keeping this thing going. A factor (that sucks) is that I blew a tire last year, which did some solid body damage. I'd hate to think what the resale value is at this point of my current rig.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
If you're keeping it, who cares about resale, the vans don't have great resale anyways. Fix the body damage and get it running right. Looking at the towing guides, the 4 and 6 speed trucks don't seem to have much a difference in towing capacity, but the 6-speed might help going up grades, have a couple extra ratios.

Flush the coolant system...especially if you're towing on grades, it's going to tax the cooling system more than anything.

Change the plugs (check how the old ones looked)

Change the air filter (cheap and easy)

Maybe change the trans fluid and filter (don't flush it)

Change the fuel filter (again cheap and easy)

After those things, then start talking about tunes, radiators swaps, trans coolers, etc.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
The v10 actually has a torque curve.

A 6.0 has a torque curve comparable to a b16 Honda.

comparing numbers

06 6.0 in 3500 van has
300 hp 360 tq

04 excursion with v10 has
310 hp 425 tq

peak numbers, both when "new" v10 would be at least 2 years older, and I'd bet neither are seeing peak numbers anymore. 10hp wont be even noticed, and 60 tq would help get moving with load, but i wouldn't call it a major upgrade.

but :ford:

and sense when to LS motors not like boost. :bowrofl:

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
comparing numbers

06 6.0 in 3500 van has
300 hp 360 tq

04 excursion with v10 has
310 hp 425 tq

peak numbers, both when "new" v10 would be at least 2 years older, and I'd bet neither are seeing peak numbers anymore. 10hp wont be even noticed, and 60 tq would help get moving with load, but i wouldn't call it a major upgrade.

but :ford:

and sense when to LS motors not like boost. :bowrofl:

You should research a torque curve.

It's too bad the excursions never had the 3v option.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
The V10 does have torque down low, no question, but drops off fairly significantly after 3000 RPM, to the point where the 6.0 is making more torque from 3000 RPM to redline (like where you'd be when trying to pull a trailer up a grade?...)

No. It makes peak torque at 3250. It makes more torque than the 6.0 even at 4500 rpms.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
My 2500 pulled 4k without much of a problem either. This guy likely has an extra 6500lbs though with all the extras.

Plus, what's the profile of your travel trailer? I absolutely hated pulling my 5000 lb enclosed trailer with it. Even behind my powerstroke, it still pulls hard as hell due to the wind resistance.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info