Chevy Express 3500 tuning

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I received this deflector in the time promised and was very well protected by excellent packaging. The installation kit contained several different brackets. One set is all I needed. First time to install including installing the brackets and tie-downs straps took about 30 minutes because I installed it backwards and I had to take it off and reverse it. On my first 450 mile trip I was unimpressed with my mileage. I was not going to use it on my way back because I wanted to see the mileage with it in the closed position. For some reason I decided to use it but this time I used a much less steep angle. It appeared to be an angle that would allow the air stream to hit mid height on the front of my 5th wheel, not allowing the air stream to drop down under the nose of the 5th wheel. Voila, the mileage I got on average on the initial trip was about 10.5 miles per gallon. With the angle adjusted less steep, I got 13.8 miles per gallon, towing a 14,000 pound 39 foot 5th wheel. That is by far the best mileage I have ever gotten. But to be honest this is the first time I towed this trailer with the new truck. My last Duramax truck averaged 8 miles per gallon with a smaller 5th wheel. My tow vehicle is a 2014 Chevy Silverado with a Duramax 6.6 diesel. I am going to try a slightly steeper angle than the last one I used on the next trip. I'll update this review later when I return.

lots of positive reviews.

and yeah i mean i can get 13-14 hwy with my truck, as ive said before, towing my sxs, pontoon boat, or other boat, (likely 3-4k ish, 3-4k ish, then 8-10k ish lbs respectively)

ALWAYS 10 mpg at best.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
It's 10.5' tall according to their website.

Mine's 10.6', practically dwarfs the height of my Suburban.

roXiTCl.jpg

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Bumping this up.

I need a towing solution for my '67 Camaro. I need something that is GM, LS and super cheap. I hate trucks but I need either a van or a suburban. I'm leaning towards a mid 2000s 3500 express van, a buddy just gone. His rockers look gnarly but it was cheap.

I'm very curious what tends to go on those van... trans, water pump, intake gaskets? I have no idea.

I'd be towing mostly an open trailer and a 2900 lb car.

Welcome any advice or comments.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Bumping this up.

I need a towing solution for my '67 Camaro. I need something that is GM, LS and super cheap. I hate trucks but I need either a van or a suburban. I'm leaning towards a mid 2000s 3500 express van, a buddy just gone. His rockers look gnarly but it was cheap.

I'm very curious what tends to go on those van... trans, water pump, intake gaskets? I have no idea.

I'd be towing mostly an open trailer and a 2900 lb car.

Welcome any advice or comments.

vans are so solid because they never got AFM/DOD etc... i swear my 2009 5.3 rwd conversion van was for sure quicker than my 2002 6.0 awd escalade which has to weigh much less.

id just look for shit without rust and send it.

gm used "older" shit in them for waaaay longer than they did in the trucks. 4L80e's were used in vans until 2013? then went to 6l80e's. unlike trucks that got them 08ish?

half ton vans got ditched in 2015...

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Thanks for replies.

I read that newer ones have 6L transmissions.

I honestly would like to spend as little as possible, still researching what is possible.

My buddy's 4.8/6L80E van tows great with a 3.73

My buddy had a 2500 with a 4.8/4L60E and it seemed to do fine overall with his landscaping trailer. I'm not gonna say it's doing 0-60 in 5.9 seconds but it was plenty good for the job. He had a 20 foot trailer with sidewalls and would stuff a bunch of mowers, fuel etc. in it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info