šŸ„ Health Workout chat

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
24hr fasting day, went HAM on back today. When I pull out my Versa Grips on back day, that means I'm moving some weight lol.
Followed up with 30min on the treadmill. Same as last week, worked up to 12% incline at 3.2mph, then back down, followed by a 5 min run at 5mph at a 3% incline. Gotta love fasted cardio
I'm soooooo fucking hungry after that and cant eat until 6pm. What makes it worse is the Wifey has beef stroganoff in the slow cooker and it smells so god damn good. I gotta go out to the garage and find something to do so I dont think about food.

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
Leg day today.

Itā€™s funny when I was super overweight and just getting into the gym I loved leg day because it was the only time I felt like I could move some decent weight. As Iā€™ve gotten more in shape Iā€™ve grown to despise it. Lol.

Thankfully I think being overweight most of my life gave me pretty strong legs and so itā€™s a quick workout, can usually knock it out in 20-30 minutes and then try to get in extra cardio or core on those days.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Finally! This shit is constantly out of stock.

Biā€™s and triā€™s today, kept it super light as my elbow is acting up. 24hr fasting day so did some fasted cardio. 2 mile run at 4.5mph on a 3% incline with a 4ish minute cool down (walk at 3mph at 0% incline).

058BD19C-5D3B-451B-AD0D-B7DB48BD83F0.jpeg

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
24hr fasting day, went HAM on back today. When I pull out my Versa Grips on back day, that means I'm moving some weight lol.
Followed up with 30min on the treadmill. Same as last week, worked up to 12% incline at 3.2mph, then back down, followed by a 5 min run at 5mph at a 3% incline. Gotta love fasted cardio
I'm soooooo fucking hungry after that and cant eat until 6pm. What makes it worse is the Wifey has beef stroganoff in the slow cooker and it smells so god damn good. I gotta go out to the garage and find something to do so I dont think about food.
I've never done a 24 hour fast. That's got to be hard as hell

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Finally! This shit is constantly out of stock.

Biā€™s and triā€™s today, kept it super light as my elbow is acting up. 24hr fasting day so did some fasted cardio. 2 mile run at 4.5mph on a 3% incline with a 4ish minute cool down (walk at 3mph at 0% incline).

View attachment 113547
It is always out of stock. My backup is layne norton's pre from outwork nutrition, but it doesn't have creatine

Reactions: Shawn1112

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Most I've done is 72 hours, and I felt amazing afterwards.
How the FUCK did you do this, and how did it feel amazing. So you legit had nothing but water and black coffee for 72 hours?

My sis has told me the same thing, she likes to occasionally do a 72hr water fast, but I can't imagine it

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
How the FUCK did you do this, and how did it feel amazing. So you legit had nothing but water and black coffee for 72 hours?

My sis has told me the same thing, she likes to occasionally do a 72hr water fast, but I can't imagine it
No, I did a TRUE fast, so just water.

I did it while the wife was traveling, so I wouldn't be tempted. By day 2, you're not even hungry, so it's no biggie. I normally drink 1.5-2 gallons of water a day anyway, but while fasting it probably jumped to 3 gallons. I did it Feb. 2020, as I had a cough lingering forever that wouldn't go away (pretty sure it was covid, knowing what we know now). So I did the fast, still worked out everyday, but by day 3, workout intensity wasn't great and standing after sitting too quickly would get you lightheaded, fast. So fast forward to being done, and bam, stuffy nose and cough gone, body felt incredible.

By fasting, your digestion stops, which is a big toll on what your body spends energy on. So by essentially shutting down your digestive system, your body can work on and fix other parts of your body. It's a cool rabbit hole to go down about cellular repair, etc.

I read a study about 20 patients with melanoma. 10 patients fasted, water only, for 5 days prior to chemo and radiation - and 10 did 24 hours as normally directed. All 10 patients who did the 5 day fast didn't lose their hair, didn't get nauseous or sick, and all of them went into remission at the end of the cycle. When you fast for 72+ hours, your cells actually close, to protect themselves, T-cells don't have this ability. So the chemo and radiation were so effective at killing the T-cells, that all 10 of them went into remission. Out of the control group, only 4 went into remission, but every single one lost their hair and got sick.

From a science stand point, it would be cool to do a 3-5 day fast 1-2x a year, just for your own body to repair and fix things internally.

• Wow

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I've never done a 24 hour fast. That's got to be hard as hell
24hr fast is easy and only takes about 2 weeks to get use to it. I do it Tuesday and Thursday. Iā€™ll eat my last meal Mon and Wed at 6pm, then I donā€™t eat again until 6pm Tues and Thurs. 6-8hrs of the fast your sleeping. Iā€™ve always wanted to try the 72hr but I honestly donā€™t think I could do it. I for sure could do 36hrs and possibly 48.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Hmmmm. I haven't eaten anything since noon, maybe I should try a 24hr fast. Not giving up black coffee tho
The 24 hour fasts aren't bad at all. But to get all those extra benefits, you gotta nut up and do a 3-5 day fast. And drop the black coffee. Technically they say anything 50 cals or less doesn't break the fast, but when you're wanting your digestive system to shut down completely, 50 calories is still triggering a bit of digestion.

• Wow
Reactions: Spivitz

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
No, I did a TRUE fast, so just water.

I did it while the wife was traveling, so I wouldn't be tempted. By day 2, you're not even hungry, so it's no biggie. I normally drink 1.5-2 gallons of water a day anyway, but while fasting it probably jumped to 3 gallons. I did it Feb. 2020, as I had a cough lingering forever that wouldn't go away (pretty sure it was covid, knowing what we know now). So I did the fast, still worked out everyday, but by day 3, workout intensity wasn't great and standing after sitting too quickly would get you lightheaded, fast. So fast forward to being done, and bam, stuffy nose and cough gone, body felt incredible.

By fasting, your digestion stops, which is a big toll on what your body spends energy on. So by essentially shutting down your digestive system, your body can work on and fix other parts of your body. It's a cool rabbit hole to go down about cellular repair, etc.

I read a study about 20 patients with melanoma. 10 patients fasted, water only, for 5 days prior to chemo and radiation - and 10 did 24 hours as normally directed. All 10 patients who did the 5 day fast didn't lose their hair, didn't get nauseous or sick, and all of them went into remission at the end of the cycle. When you fast for 72+ hours, your cells actually close, to protect themselves, T-cells don't have this ability. So the chemo and radiation were so effective at killing the T-cells, that all 10 of them went into remission. Out of the control group, only 4 went into remission, but every single one lost their hair and got sick.

From a science stand point, it would be cool to do a 3-5 day fast 1-2x a year, just for your own body to repair and fix things internally.
i'm not sure what US studies there are on cancer prevention with this, but it's well known that muslim nations (because of ramadan) have much lower rates of cancer.

they also eat a lot of sugar though, so other problems like diabetes, not so hot

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The 24 hour fasts aren't bad at all. But to get all those extra benefits, you gotta nut up and do a 3-5 day fast. And drop the black coffee. Technically they say anything 50 cals or less doesn't break the fast, but when you're wanting your digestive system to shut down completely, 50 calories is still triggering a bit of digestion.
Guess I'm gonna die young with a slice of pizza in my hand, because that all sounds awful. Lol

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Water.
Pre workout when I ā€œneedā€ it. Whether that need is simple motivation or Iā€™m trying to push myself.

If I was playing a sport or competing at something, an electrolyte drink to keep the tank full is about it.

Supps are a waste of money outside of creatine, protein and stimulants (pre workout)

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Iā€™ve been horrible with consistency since moving out of the city on both diet and exercise. Finding it harder and harder to get myself into the gym(garage) and general ā€œwhy am I doing thisā€. The smallest hurdles kill whatever motivation i have to lift.

I got started lifting at 21 and was really hitting it hard for YEARS. Started at a scrawny 5ā€™11ā€ 155lbs and got up to a lean 10% 215lbs at my peak. Maybe the last 5 years Iā€™ve been 190-195lbs at fluctuating levels of body fat.

Iā€™m straight up bored with lifting right now. No longer a 20 something (34) living in the city with a boat floating in the harbor and chasing strange. That was my motivation in the beginning. Being lean and attractive, trained 5-6 days a week like a bro, ate great, drank like a fish.

Iā€™ve been trying to figure out what my next goal is, what my training should look like, and why I should be putting in effort other than not to have a dad bod and maintaining a decent level of mobility

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
^ have you thought about picking up a sport / hobby aside from lifting that will keep you active?

Iā€™ve recently started getting back into boxing and thatā€™s a hell of a workout. Same can be said for recreational sports team teams or even biking, kayaking, ect. Something interesting that will keep you in pretty good shape.

Kizzlebizz

Regular
Oct 26, 2020
I literally feel the same way; I started lifting at 27, 5'7 130lbs, I'm 33 now still only around 150-155. That initial growth and explosion of strength was awesome, I went from barely being able to press 135 twice to putting up 225 1RM in 8 months. I liked the way I looked, and in all seriousness that's the only thing that keeps me in the gym. I just want to look okay (not good, just okay) without a shirt on.

The most I ever benched was 245 when I was lifting 5-6 days a week, so end of last year I made it my goal to press 275. I took a month of two heavy chest days a week, then started on the ufpwrlifter program, which is like 2 super heavy days and 1 heavy day a week. Bout blew my shoulder out, I'm just not physically built for that kind of thing is the conclusion I came to. I stopped at 265, and just couldn't take it anymore. So I go in, I do my 4 sets of 10 on my 3 PPL days, and bounce. Maybe I'll get back at lifting with purpose but for now, it's hot rod building weather.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
^ have you thought about picking up a sport / hobby aside from lifting that will keep you active?

Iā€™ve recently started getting back into boxing and thatā€™s a hell of a workout. Same can be said for recreational sports team teams or even biking, kayaking, ect. Something interesting that will keep you in pretty good shape.
I've seriously considered taking some boxing classes. On Saturdays at the gym I go to, a bunch of Mexican guys work on the heavy bags and pads for about a hour. Some jump rope or shadow box in between their turns on the pads or heavy bags. They come out of there drenched in sweat

Thread Info