Workout chat

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just put up the largest bench in my LIFE a couple days ago. Motivation becomes less of a factor when you just make working out part of a routine. You almost just start doing it on auto pilot.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
I just put up the largest bench in my LIFE a couple days ago. Motivation becomes less of a factor when you just make working out part of a routine. You almost just start doing it on auto pilot.
You finally did 135lbs? If you do it just as autopilot, you aren't working out very hard. That's how I'm working out now.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm only 5'8", so when I was 194 I was considered "obese" by BMI although my fat percentage was something around 10%.
The Wii fit said I was borderline obese with my BMI. For those that have seen me, I'm pretty tall and lanky at 6'1" and 185-190.

99PONTIACGP

Reaction score
200 was the lowest I ever was a few years ago and all I did was a lot of cardio and eat salads. THEN i started eating normal food and GAINED 50lbs and Ive been 250 for some time now.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm only 5'8", so when I was 194 I was considered "obese" by BMI although my fat percentage was something around 10%.
Well congrats, if you have a good size frame 180 should be a good weight, but if you are a narrow guy then I could see why you want to get to 165.

Either way good work!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You finally did 135lbs? If you do it just as autopilot, you aren't working out very hard. That's how I'm working out now.
har har 135. The motivation part for me was to stop doing whatever else I had to do in a day to GET to the gym. Once I'm there I'm doing just fine... just need to break away and DO IT. Like Nike, yo.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm actually gaining weight. Dropped about 10, and put it right back on elsewhere.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Well congrats, if you have a good size frame 180 should be a good weight, but if you are a narrow guy then I could see why you want to get to 165.

Either way good work!
I have pretty broad shoulders. 180 is a decent size for me, but too heavy in my mind still. If I can keep my strength where it is now and get down to 165 I think it'd be perfect, for my liking.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
har har 135. The motivation part for me was to stop doing whatever else I had to do in a day to GET to the gym. Once I'm there I'm doing just fine... just need to break away and DO IT. Like Nike, yo.
LOL, when I get to the gym, I just want to leave and go home. How much did you put up?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
275. It's not much by some folks standards, but I've never benched more than 250... even when I was wrestling in high school. I recovered way fast though... usually it takes a few days to feel like I could go hit it again. But I'm thinking I'm going to get more done today.

Perhaps you could enlighten me... Whats a good practice for upping your max when it comes to benching?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Don't fool yourself, 275lbs is a lot of weight. What percentage of people do you think can do that? The most I ever did was 335lbs 4 reps, no spot. If you really want to increase your max do this, well first I need to know how many times did you do 275lbs and did you touch the bar to your chest?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did 4x200lbs, 3x250, 2x275. solo, no spotter. over about 20min. ya bar touched my chest.

i'm using a squat machine at the gym, so if needed, I can just rotate the bar and lock it in before I drop it on myself. :rofl:

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
OK, first off, you are tiring your muscles when you do the reps before your 275lbs. This is what you do. Try and get a spotter for the heavier weights, just ask a random.

1st set = 8x135lbs
2nd set = 6X185lbs (just warming up the pecs, getting blood to them)
3rd set = 275lbs as much as you can do
4th set = 265 lbs as much as you can do
5th set = 255 lbs as much as you can do
6th set = 225 lbs as much as you can do

The 3rd set should always be your heaviest weight, and should be the first set after your warmups. QUIT using the squat machine, you aren't working your muscles that hard when you use it. If you can do 4 reps on your heaviest weight (3rd set) add 10 lbs the next week.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They dont have any true bench setups tho, so if I'm going to bench, thats the closest thing they have to offer.... so that's what I'll be doing for now unfortunately.

I'll give your suggestion a try. Thanks, Turk.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Working your max up is always about low reps, heavy weight. You will be sore as fuck the next day btw. Where are you working out at? Almost every place has a true bench.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm working out at the gym in my office... its mostly treadmills, bikes and machines. A full rack of hand dumb bells, but no full bars.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Do they have a bench for the dumbbells?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Working your max up is always about low reps, heavy weight. You will be sore as fuck the next day btw. Where are you working out at? Almost every place has a true bench.
That's the weird part. That's the most I ever put up. 2 following days I barely felt sore at all. :dunno:

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
That's the weird part. That's the most I ever put up. 2 following days I barely felt sore at all. :dunno:
It's cause you're on the squat machine, and I'm not kidding.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I've been benching on it now for a few weeks. And its left me SORE a few times for sure. Just weird that I didn't feel shit after putting up as much as I did. I'd been doing 4sets of 6 @ 200lb previously. That left me hurting

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
You had just started though right? When you first start lifting, you will be sore regardless of what you do.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
How many excercises do you do for chest? And do you do chest by itself or with another muscle group?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I only do that one for chest. Man, I'm a workout nub. I've NEVER worked out seriously... until like the last couple months.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom