Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I highly suggest corn from straight from the farm if you haven’t. Shit squirts across the table when you bite into it.

The best corn I've ever had was freshly-harvested sweet corn from near our house in Sister Lakes MI. It's night and day compared to any store-bought corn...Almost doesn't even need butter or anything.

Reactions: Great White Drake

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Bought a Masterbuilt 560 last week and have been cooking with it almost daily. Tonight I did some wings.

Marinaded overnight in Italian dressing, soy sauce, worchestire suace, and a little Frank's hot sauce. Then patted dry and seasoned with a mix of salt/pepper/paprika/garlic/onion. I do 30 minutes at 225* to get some of the smoke flavor, then crank it up ti 350-375 for 15-20 minutes to crisp up the skin. Then tossed in Sweet Baby Rays (or Frank's Wing Sauce + butter if I want hot wings).

signal-2020-08-05-222436_001.jpg

signal-2020-08-05-222436_002.jpg

signal-2020-08-05-222436_003.jpg

signal-2020-08-05-222436_004.jpg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
MEATeorite MEATeorite
Pulled a beef round roast out for tomorrow. This is something we never know what to do with.
Suggestions on smoker or grill, can I do burnt ends with it?
Ive never done a round roast before. The weight would determine for me whether I'd inject it or not. If its less than 3 lbs, id inject it. There's really no downside to injecting it IMO.

I like my beef smoked around 250-275 with a pecan or hickory till around 160ish internal temp, but im okay with going a bit past that if it hasn't developed enough bark. Then i wrap with aluminum foil and add beef broth, and a little bit of Worcester sauce. When i add beef broth i pour enough over it to absorb it, give another 30 seconds and add a bit more. Then push to 205 internal temp and rest for atleast an hour. Last brisket i did i rested for 4 hours, granted that thing was huge, but my opinion these cuts with a lot of connective tissue and fat really benifit a lot from it.

When you open it up to serve, something i do is check and see how fragile it is after rest, just before serving. If you think you can get it back on a grill without falling apart, i like to sear it 5 min a side. It'll firm up the bark and not ruin anypart of the rest.

If doing burnt ends, id suggest cubing at same time as before, 160ish internal temp or when good bark developed. Instead of wrap, cut and cube, put in foil tray. Add beef broth and a little Worcester sauce to the pan, cover with foil. Id do enough beef broth to keep moist, not so theyre submerged. As far as cook time for burnt ends id periodically monitor the texture of them. When they compress kind of like a sponge. that's when i add BBQ sauce to the pan and give it another hour of cooking. Some people add a dusting of brown sugar or dry rub, i normally just add a couple cracks of black pepper because BBQ sauce is normally sweet or complex enough for me, and i like the bite black pepper lends, especially to beef.

Hope this helps. I'll definitely be interested in how it goes.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
As mentioned before, not a fan of giving cuts of meat a bath lol.

There may be some misunderstanding about what sous vide is? The meat doesn't come in contact with the water. It's in a sealed bag. The purpose of the water is to bring the meat to an exact temperature slowly. Same principle as low and slow BBQ cooking but better temp. control. Because you have complete temperature control, you can keep the meat in the "bath" for as long as you want depending on how tender you want it and it won't get overdone. (It will get mushy if you leave it for way too long. The tenderization continues while the meat is in the sous vide) 24 hours is good for rump, top round, bottom round, etc., roasts.

The problem with cooking these roasts on the grill is they can get or stay tough. Sous vide makes them tender and perfectly cooked inside. You can sear the outside on the grill either before or after to get the caramelization flavor and appearance. I think sous vide is the perfect method for tough cuts of meat. You can also smoke the meat for a couple hours at very low temps and then sous vide it if you want to get some smoke flavor.

It would be interesting to compare both methods sometime and have a taste test to see what guests prefer. Maybe I'll do that sometime.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Round roast injected and rubbed SPG

Chicken #1 I’m trying something new. Found a recipe online and doctored it up to my liking. Marinade consists of Oranges, lemons, limes, olive oil, fresh garlic and some spices. Stuffed the cavity with the used oranges, lemon and limes. Will let it sit in marinade for 4-5hrs.

chicken #2 will be a basic smoked chicken just in case chicken #1 isn’t all that good. I always have a back up plan when trying new shit.

Also have a few lbs of aracherra, potatoes, dogs and burgers if needed. Will be manning the smoker and 2 grills today.

07FBF619-0096-467D-AECF-0EAD3A6D8E9B.jpeg

67999351-EBD7-4EF4-95AB-B0B90E68FEB8.jpeg

0D25AD3C-02DD-4F4F-9B15-1C6B37DD059F.jpeg

Reactions: MEATeorite and Flyn

Thread Info