Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
No pics other than these, did it just before bed. One butt the tried and true with mustard binder and Harry Soo chicken rub. Did the other with a south carolina mustard style. DIY rub was all put together with chili powder, paprika, brown sugar, SPG, onion powder, celery seed. All in adjustment to what i thought made a good rub. I increased the brown sugar and black pepper a lot. Injected with mango-pineapple juice. Stick of cherrywood.

Mop sauce was apple cider vinegar, yellow mustard and hot sauce. Mopped at hour 5 then went to bed.

Wrapped each with roast garlic powder, brown sugar, and agave nectar.

12 hours of unwrapped smoking on each shoulder, they were still 160-170 internal when i got up at 4:45 AM.

12ish hours on the smoker, 4 hours on gas grill at work, 2 hours rest. Turned out. South carolina one i served with encouragement to use Lillies Q gold.

Wish i had pics. South carolina mustard one had a combo of black and yellow bark, and red smoke ring. Both had a nice crunchy bark and a lot of juices.
20200820_204225.jpeg
20200820_204232.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Let's get today's rib show on the road.

Weber is hanging at 235-240. Baby backs are rubbed with Plowboys and on the grill. Smoke is clean and strong from the charcoal and apple chunks. (Apple wood because Amy does NOT like strong smoke flavors)

The Plowboys rub gave the ribs a beautiful color right at the start of the cook. It soaked right into the meat.

I'm going to spritz every couple hours with an apple cider vinegar and apple juice mixture.

xMOfB05.jpg

VXw1B4P.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Hour and a half in. Grill Temp 237. I opened the grill to check the ribs so I spritzed them and added a couple more pieces of charcoal while it was open. Everything looks OK so far. There's still water in the water trays.

Next time I check them I will rotate them in the rack.

EDIT: Grill temp. climbed to 261* after adding charcoal. It'll settle back down again. I'll leave it alone for another 15 mins. and tap a bottom vent closed a tiny bit if it doesn't come down.

LOOI61j.jpg

Reactions: Spivitz

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Slight problem. Rain storm. Flyn had to run for the grill and drag it under the lanai roof. Lost some heat briefly. Flyn got wet. ? I opened the Weber to check the ribs and got the following pics. Still going good. I am getting a little bit too dark on the one slab so I rotated them. Rib temps are in the 150s. I'm shooting for 190-195*. If the ribs keep darkening, I may need to foil them. 3 hrs in now.

I pulled the rib out of the rack to get the pic, rotated it and put it back in.

CSbFNXw.jpg

wvi2lZ9.jpg

Reactions: MEATeorite

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I checked the ribs again at the 4 hour mark. The color is perfect but they're not done yet. I'm wrapping them using the Texas Crutch so they don't get much darker. Parkay, honey and brown sugar in the foil and double wrapping the ribs. Temps are in the 160s. I'll check them again in half an hour.

EDIT: I stuck my instant read thermometer through the foil. 175-180 after the half hour. Getting close.

7kHd3qc.jpg

heK9x9v.jpg

kRUnIsU.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Here's the bite. Clean bite, clean bone.

20200823_183356.jpg

Homemade cornbread and potato salad to go along with it.

My honest opinion? Sauce is great. Sweet. Needs a bit more heat. Rub is also great. Actually needs a little bit more salt. I think adding another rub with some salt and heat would bring these up to perfection. Smoke was good. Bite was good. Flavor was deeeelicious.

My son immediately smothered them in Sweet Baby Ray's, without tasting them first. He's a cretin.

20200823_184014.jpg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
I personally love that level of doneness. Where the meat is in tact after bite mark, beautifully done! Thats how i normally prefer to make them, but the normal audience (wife, coworkers, parents, etc) prefer the fall off the bone, overcooked. Its a KCBS regulation that actually makes sense to me. I've explained it to them, but i think its a familiarity with crock pot ribs growing up that is the texture they have as an aquired taste. They like what they like. Not the worst thing in the world.

Looks great. Nice smoke ring and color. Ive heard of that rub, never tried.

Reactions: Shawn1112 and Flyn

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Did a brisket today for dinner - my first one ever. Came out good overall, though the flat was a little dry. But it was a 10lb brisket before trimming and the flat was pretty thin, so I'm not sure there was much I could do anyways.

View attachment 65382

View attachment 65383

View attachment 65384

View attachment 65385

View attachment 65386
Any injection, what did you do for rub? Any rest time in a cooler?
I usually inject with beef broth, rub with SPG and it’s fantastic every time.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Any injection, what did you do for rub? Any rest time in a cooler?
I usually inject with beef broth, rub with SPG and it’s fantastic every time.

No injection, just a simple salt and pepper rub. I kept it wrapped, put it in an aluminum pan, and let it sit in the oven(off) for 2 hours while we cooked the sides. It was still pretty hot when I cut it.

This was just a Choice cut from the local butcher, but I see that Costco has prime for the same price, so I'm going to try that next time.

Reactions: Shawn1112

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Did a brisket today for dinner - my first one ever. Came out good overall, though the flat was a little dry. But it was a 10lb brisket before trimming and the flat was pretty thin, so I'm not sure there was much I could do anyways.

View attachment 65382

View attachment 65383

View attachment 65384

View attachment 65385

View attachment 65386
Looks really good! Keeping a 10 lbs packer brisket juicy is not easy. The smaller the brisket the smaller the margin of error to keep the flat juicy IMO

Thread Info