Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Grilled green beans with sous vide and broiler potatoes in a garlic/rosemary sauce and, oh yeah, sous vide filet mignon seared in a cast iron pan with a homemade Bearnaise sauce.

VeG41J5.jpg

BUGRZT7.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Amy and I were alone today so I thought I would experiment. Yesterday, I started a couple sous vide chuck roasts. I let them sous vide for 24 hours at 136*.

tX7CdoX.jpg

I was going to grill them afterwards to sear them but we were getting rain on and off and I didn't want to use the charcoal Weber. Instead, I dragged something completely different out of my closet.

o9ETlH0.jpg

I saved the juices from the sous vide cook and then seared each roast. I spooned butter and garlic over them for some added flavor.

fNyNxFF.jpg

Here's the finished product ready for slicing. I let them rest and asked Amy Au Jus or gravy. She wanted gravy.

wnsqQYG.jpg

Luckily, I had the butter/garlic fond waiting and made a roux then a cream sauce out of the bag juice.

6EPKwsr.jpg

Here's the money shot. Amy grilled some fingerling potatoes, carrots and peppers on the gas Weber for the side. The roast totally reminded me of prime rib. Super tender... At about 1/5th the cost.

Poor man's Prime Rib:

BZIrKDu.jpg

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Amy and I were alone today so I thought I would experiment. Yesterday, I started a couple sous vide chuck roasts. I let them sous vide for 24 hours at 136*.

tX7CdoX.jpg

I was going to grill them afterwards to sear them but we were getting rain on and off and I didn't want to use the charcoal Weber. Instead, I dragged something completely different out of my closet.

o9ETlH0.jpg

I saved the juices from the sous vide cook and then seared each roast. I spooned butter and garlic over them for some added flavor.

fNyNxFF.jpg

Here's the finished product ready for slicing. I let them rest and asked Amy Au Jus or gravy. She wanted gravy.

wnsqQYG.jpg

Luckily, I had the butter/garlic fond waiting and made a roux then a cream sauce out of the bag juice.

6EPKwsr.jpg

Here's the money shot. Amy grilled some fingerling potatoes, carrots and peppers on the gas Weber for the side. The roast totally reminded me of prime rib. Super tender... At about 1/5th the cost.

Poor man's Prime Rib:

BZIrKDu.jpg
That looks amazing. Good stuff.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Thanks! Next time I may try 48 hours to see what a longer time period does. The meat was super tender but the fat wasn't rendered. Some people cook chuck roasts for 48 hours so it's worth a try to see if I can get the fat to render without turning the meat to mush. I don't know yet how long it takes to render thick fat at 136*.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I stole the idea for Mexican Street Corn from The Italian in the Dinner thread. Hadn't had it for a while and it sounded yummy.

I grilled Chorizo sausage dogs and added a Street Corn salsa. Street Corn is also a great side. My lips are now on fire and my nose is running. YES!

knKnnWx.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I didn't grill my version of jalapeno poppers but you could grill them. I used the oven/broiler instead.

I cut the bacon slices in half and precooked it a bit to get it started. Halved and deseeded some jalapenos. I filled the jalapeno halves with cream cheese, Cotija cheese and sprinkled some cheddar. The bacon went on top. Into the oven at 350* for half an hour. Finish by broiling to crisp the bacon. Stick a fancy toothpick in and these things make a killer appetizer. Make a bunch because they will be scarfed up quickly. Amazing flavors.

Leftover street corn for the side.

Amy and I ate the whole tray!

WXkCXK8.jpg

EO29tmD.jpg

Reactions: MEATeorite

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I'm doing ribs this weekend, too. I went to Ace today to exchange my bad propane tank and took a look at their grill section. I am BLOWN AWAY! They have a wide selection of top rubs and sauces. Big green eggs, Traegers, etc. Who would have thought? I complimented the Ace guy on their selection.

Decided to try the Plowboys Yardbird rub. It smells great. Not too salty like many rubs are. The flavor is savory with a bit of heat. I think it will go well with the Blues Hog sauce. I'll do some pics when I get it going.

Plowboys-BBQ-Yardbird-Rub-475x475-1.png

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Yeah, I called a buddy after I got it and told him to bring a container next time he comes to my house for dinner. He would have come over this weekend for the ribs but he's teaching in Ft. Lauderdale this weekend. His loss. ?

People say you can freeze it so I may try that for some of it.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Thread Info