đź’¦ Detailing TCG Detailing Thread

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I've noticed it's easier to remove over spray contamination with a clay mitt vs a bar and that clay mitts do a terrible job removing any tar specks. What have you noticed?

I have Tar X so I don't " scrub" the paint to remove certain contamination.

Reactions: Bird1989

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The gun Gav recommended suds up pretty good. It's not thick enough to stick and hold it but it coats surprisingly well.

IMG_20200502_142234.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
you can try using more soap but in all honesty, the point is adding lubrication to the wash process.
I have this one guy who comments on all my "foam" videos saying it's not thick enough..... even when it's like shaving cream. IF thats what hes after, then more power to him.

more function vs form.

Glad it worked for ya, always nice to see peeps washing

giphy.gif

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
you can try using more soap but in all honesty, the point is adding lubrication to the wash process.
I have this one guy who comments on all my "foam" videos saying it's not thick enough..... even when it's like shaving cream. IF thats what hes after, then more power to him.

more function vs form.

Glad it worked for ya, always nice to see peeps washing

giphy.gif
Nah, it worked pretty good. I didnt need a thick coating but I was surprised by the amount I did get. Happy with it for first use.

Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So my buddy who lives in AZ, just bought a model 3, and is asking me about ceramic coating. But he's not a DIY guy at all. What is a good price for a shop / person to do it?
I would think it all depends on how much paint correction is needed. Thats how I base my jobs out when doing it on the side.
The ceramic is the easy part imo

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
He was quoted 1500 for the whole body, all windows including the roof and wheels.

And it sounds really high, but I dont know about the process so I'm asking.
I've never done glass yet, but plan on it soon. I'd charge another $150 to include the rims.
Gav might be best to answer if that $1500 is high, per my post above I figured $1500

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
It's a "new" car.... yeah ? still need paint correction, see this video:

or this one

$1500 sounds "cheap" for a professional shop.
a place like Chicago Auto Pros is probably 2-3x that for paint correction and coating all surfaces...... even with a consumer grade coating.

Never heard of the coating he was quoted. Apex detail in PENN makes videos on a lot of non mainstream brands and its never crossed his YT channel.
I would stick to brand name coatings.

A girl @ work paid $675 for the honda dealer to apply the "protector" coating system.... guess what, after 4 months, nothing beads or sheets the water.
i tried to explain it to her but it was already built into the cost of the car.

there must be a reputable shop in AZ he can choose

Reactions: crooks

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
It's a "new" car.... yeah ? still need paint correction, see this video:

or this one

$1500 sounds "cheap" for a professional shop.
a place like Chicago Auto Pros is probably 2-3x that for paint correction and coating all surfaces...... even with a consumer grade coating.

Never heard of the coating he was quoted. Apex detail in PENN makes videos on a lot of non mainstream brands and its never crossed his YT channel.
I would stick to brand name coatings.

A girl @ work paid $675 for the honda dealer to apply the "protector" coating system.... guess what, after 4 months, nothing beads or sheets the water.
i tried to explain it to her but it was already built into the cost of the car.

there must be a reputable shop in AZ he can choose

Relaying this back and forth. He says thank you for your advice.

Bob moses is the company that quoted me. On Google its 122 5 star. They only have 5 star ratings. And 1500 is also with full paint correction.

Bird1989

Regular
Dec 24, 2015
Teslas have some of the absolute worse paint from the factory of any vehicle I've detailed. I'd say 90% that I've coated require 2 stages of polishing minimum... 1500 is kinda on the high end, the shop I used to work at would charge close to that for 2 stages of polishing and crystal serum ultra which is a 9 year professional only product

Thread Info