đź’¦ Detailing TCG Detailing Thread

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
in4pics

anything painted should be left alone for 30 days ( i'm sure you know this but had to post it anyway )
Done

7A701FA0-0D00-40E0-A275-293FDAD03DF5.jpeg

AE159EBB-CD42-4E6A-BAFE-29092CE20752.jpeg

B1282A31-2590-4944-8AD4-BE7100C286CE.jpeg

204E6349-2CD2-4823-97D4-480D56AE96C7.jpeg

5CB01F49-DD63-4D47-AE66-1E81BA646CE7.jpeg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
final process / products used ?!

looks fantastic. Always liked that red from Jeep / Dodge
Thanks Gav!!
Besides the normal rinse, pre soak, wash, decom, clay, re-wash
Few bad areas I hit it with Menz 400 heavy duty cutting compound and LC Hybrid Orange cutting pads
Polished with Menz 3500 using LC White hybrid pads. wiped down with eraser
Sealed with Pinnacle Souveran paste wax
Tires dressed with Megs hyper 50/50 mix

I do want to do some type of glass treatment, you have any extra you want to sell?

Did not ceramic coat the calipers, they are too far gone already from previous owner not taking care of them. I'd have to remove them from the vehicle to really get them looking their best. Not worth the time, or effort imo as I will keep them clean.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Did a little today. Had a late start because I was working on the van’s suspension this morning. Wanted to remove the million scratches from the drive through car wash’s over the winter. Ended up having to use a heavy cut compound, then a medium compound on a fine pad.
Also just got miguiars ultimate liquid wax and wanted to try it. Only got the roof, hood and tailgate done today, but turned out nice.

67EA9BE2-1EA9-4CD3-920C-D4E561165490.jpeg

1B8750B2-676E-460F-9786-2355D686E19A.jpeg

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yep, that is damaged paint beyond machine correction
That sucks. Want to take it back to the place that did the work and have him fix it. But closed due him being non-essential. Was told to finish what he had and close up. Pisses me off too. Is there any temporary solution I can apply to keep it from getting worse, or at least protect it?

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So, question, since I know nothing of body/paint work. What step in the process would cause the clear/paint to have that result? Like something abrasive being used without proper caution? They were supposed to respray the hood off the car, but I think they did it on the car and this was an unforeseen effect.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I would concur. The front end was in an accident and you can tell they did shoddy work. The right fender doesn't even line up properly with the front right door. The hood that was resprayed is showing bubbling already, and it's only been a year. Just spoke with the guy that did the work and he said he's not surprised. The original repair work was done so poorly the best we could do was extend its life a little, which we did. From a cost savings point it was the better route than going with a new hood, since the rest of the car wasn't exactly 100%. The rust is just coming back up through the metal. But it seems more than coincidental that the tops of the fenders got really bad after they worked the hood.

The whole front end was repaired poorly, no idea why she bought this car except for the low price, which is now obvious why it was so low. Already had to have the AC fixed since they didn't repair that correctly and all the refrigerant leaked out. The painted support structures in the front of the engine compartment are all showing rust and bubbling as well.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Cleaning up my new ride today. Just a wash and wax then a full interior detail. I need to decontaminate and polish it a bit, but I need to get a few things first. My pads and polish are like 5 years old but have only been used twice. I would think they are still good but not sure. What do you guys think about using older polish?

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I would concur. The front end was in an accident and you can tell they did shoddy work. The right fender doesn't even line up properly with the front right door. The hood that was resprayed is showing bubbling already, and it's only been a year. Just spoke with the guy that did the work and he said he's not surprised. The original repair work was done so poorly the best we could do was extend its life a little, which we did. From a cost savings point it was the better route than going with a new hood, since the rest of the car wasn't exactly 100%. The rust is just coming back up through the metal. But it seems more than coincidental that the tops of the fenders got really bad after they worked the hood.

The whole front end was repaired poorly, no idea why she bought this car except for the low price, which is now obvious why it was so low. Already had to have the AC fixed since they didn't repair that correctly and all the refrigerant leaked out. The painted support structures in the front of the engine compartment are all showing rust and bubbling as well.

How long ago did they repair it that clear coat loos to be older? Wax and a sealant would have protracted that clear coat for the life of the car. I’m sure the body shop will not warranty that clear coat unless it’s under a year.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Cleaning up my new ride today. Just a wash and wax then a full interior detail. I need to decontaminate and polish it a bit, but I need to get a few things first. My pads and polish are like 5 years old but have only been used twice. I would think they are still good but not sure. What do you guys think about using older polish?

New ride?!?!! Did I miss the thread? Need deets!

Pads and polish should be fine, just shake the shit out of the polish to make sure it is all mixed, and maybe do a small test run on the wife’s ride or another car you don’t care about.

Reactions: SleeperLS

Thread Info