đź’¦ Detailing TCG Detailing Thread

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
How long ago did they repair it that clear coat loos to be older? Wax and a sealant would have protracted that clear coat for the life of the car. I’m sure the body shop will not warranty that clear coat unless it’s under a year.
The tops of the fenders? At least five years ago, if not more.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
How long ago did they repair it that clear coat loos to be older? Wax and a sealant would have protracted that clear coat for the life of the car. I’m sure the body shop will not warranty that clear coat unless it’s under a year.
The tops of the fenders? At least five years ago, if not more.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
New ride?!?!! Did I miss the thread? Need deets!

Pads and polish should be fine, just shake the shit out of the polish to make sure it is all mixed, and maybe do a small test run on the wife’s ride or another car you don’t care about.

I haven't made a new ride thread yet. Just picked it up Friday. I was going to wait for the virtual meet, but not sure if that is still happening. Might make a thread here today or this week about it

• Wow
Reactions: Mook and greasy

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I haven't made a new ride thread yet. Just picked it up Friday. I was going to wait for the virtual meet, but not sure if that is still happening. Might make a thread here today or this week about it

giphy.gif

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
Gav'sPurpleZ Gav'sPurpleZ any recommendations to remove water, sap and grease stains from the old laquer paint on my c10. I'm thinking just some clay lube and clay. It's not terrible but I'd like to see how well I can get this paint back without going too crazy

Also any other ideas for cleaning up chrome wheels??? I'm just using soapy water and .000 steel wool

IMG_20200426_090543.jpg

IMG_20200426_090534.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
the wheels look pretty good. I would start with #0000 steel wool and some Brasso. Wear gloves if possible and make sure the area is well ventilated. That stuff is strong.

can you take pictures of the stains ? you can give the paint a "moisturizing" treatment with Meguiar's #7 show car glaze. A couple of these treatments by hand will actually allow for the paint to be safely polished. I would not try any type of degreaser or heavy cleaner. The paint is porous and likely dry. So introducing certain chemicals may make the stain worse or cause a new stain.
Here is a thread I found for one of the other members:

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Bub Bub
I would follow the steps in the link I posted. A waterless or rinseless wash + clay. You may need several clay bars as they will get dirty FAST.
I think the Megs #7 treatment would do it justice. You can add a wax after that or polish the paint.

There is a thread on Autogeek where a guy did this on his nova. Turned out really nice.
I can find it if you would like to skim through it

Reactions: Bub

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
thanks.
just a crappy cell phone picture... pixel 3.
it was taken Easter sunday after the quick rip to Dekalb before the rain. overcast in the picture.

i bought a dslr camera for pics and video... just need to practice.... ALOT and maybe some of my photos would be even better
Which model DSLR did you pick up? I've been doing my primary shooting with a Nikon D7500 and using a D7200 as backup, with a host of different glass.

Thread Info