🔧 BUILD remember the twin engine olds?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
with the dual inlet/outlet intercooler core, are you going to have 2 hoses combined into one for the outlet and 1 hose split into 2 for the inlet? or have a dual system with like an ice tank and a heat exchanger or 2 heat exchangers?

You don't need extra heat exchangers. Originally the inlet/outlet are on the same side, which has the water basically doubling back on itself and causing the intercooler to be less efficient. With a dual pass the way he has it, the water isn't doubling back on itself and getting through the intercooler evenly and much faster, thus increasing the efficiency by a lot. I ASSume he is going to run a larger hose to the intercooler and split the diameter into a Y on each inlet/out, but he can answer that.

SSGMarshal

May 5, 2015
the thing that intrigues me is that with 2 inlets and 2 outlets a dual system could be set up with a heat exchanger and an icebox, but they would be separate and only come together in the intercooler core, (theoretically).

having a dual system is what I'm thinking about doing on my next intercooler with both a heat exchanger up front and an ice box in the trunk.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
the thing that intrigues me is that with 2 inlets and 2 outlets a dual system could be set up with a heat exchanger and an icebox, but they would be separate and only come together in the intercooler core, (theoretically).

having a dual system is what I'm thinking about doing on my next intercooler with both a heat exchanger up front and an ice box in the trunk.

But why would you need that much cooling? I suppose if it was a road race car or something I'd understand, but in that case I would just get a bigger SINGLE heat exchanger. Also, you have to think about each system filling the other system if there was a small difference in pressure. I think that would be way over complicated for small or any gains at all. If anything, wouldn't it be easier to get a bigger ice box and a bigger heat exchanger? Bigger lines with a bigger pump, but you're still going lose a bunch of flow when it gets to the intercooler.

SSGMarshal

May 5, 2015
it's kind of just a marketing ploy. my mother-in-law has an business in which she makes and sells ice, and she is almost 70 and can't do it anymore, so my wife and I are going to buy the business, and I would like to sponsor my car with the business.

the idea I am currently on is to pick up a phenolic intercooler made by sseilmnop, modify it like James did on his wbodystore core, run 1" lines from the ice tank to the core with a stuart emp 29 pump, use a heat exchanger with a bosch pump and 3/4" lines for the other inlet/outlet. I am assuming that the ice water will cool more effectively than the heat exchanger.

the alternative would be to use larger lines, something like 1.25" and then split them for the dual inlet, then couple them together after the outlet while only using the one pump for the entire system. the heat exchanger I plan on using has a 1.25" inlet/outlet, and the ice tank can be made to have the 1.25" inlet/outlet or 1.0" so only the pump and the intercooler core would be smaller.

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
the second heat exchanger will now just be an ice melter the majority of the time if using both systems together.

As a viable alternative, having a switchable exchanger system would be better. Where when you are driving around you have an Air/water exchanger, and when racing, use the icebox water/Air system.

Using both at the same time is a complete waste of time.

Well I came here to ask the guy with the most 3800 engines torn down, I need the rod big and small end width of 3800 rods. Working on a deal with small parts maker on a piston/rod combo that can be had cheaper than ZZP h beams and near $700 sets of pistons AND it will help in changing some things about the 3800 , I think, to make it a little less knock sensitive. With some computer modeling my friend found some interesting information from old members of Indy Buick racing teams. ONE big issue has always been the development of the engine GM progressed with a positive piston stick out, THIS caused a few issues for the racing teams as they worked over several iterations of the 3.8/3800 trying to salvage the program longer when Indy turned away.
My big issue is sourcing a rod that has appropriate strength, pistons that dont break the bank also but would work as a drop in for mid power builders.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
1077e4e8914e50950c33236c146b3787.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info