The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
giphy.gif

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The Chicago Bears' poor offensive output will lead to big changes to the coaching staff.

The Bears have fired offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich, offensive line coach Harry Hiestand, tight ends coach Kevin Gilbride and assistant special teams coach Brock Olivo, the team announced Tuesday.

The headliner of the group is Helfrich, who joined coach Matt Nagy in Chicago in 2018 as coordinator after leaving Oregon in 2016.

The offense took a big step backward in 2019 with Mitchell Trubisky struggling for long stretches of the season. The quarterback completed 63.2 percent of passes for a 17-10 TD-INT ratio and posted an 83 passer rating. In a year the team expected Trubisky to take a step forward, his regression was concerning.

With GM Ryan Pace insisting Tuesday that Trubisky will remain the starter in 2020, changes will come elsewhere.

With Nagy calling the plays, Helfrich became the fall-man for a discombobulated offense that couldn't get out of its own way. Aside from the QB issues, the running game with David Montgomery was nonexistent most of the season. The offensive line was a sieve all year, likely leading to Hiestand's exit after his second stint with Chicago. And the tight end group was completely banged up, despite the assets sunk into the position.

With the coaching changes on offense, the onus will be on Nagy to right the ship in 2020. That work starts with the quarterback.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Definitely scapegoats but I think they needed to go. Hiestand in particular after the terrible play of the O line all year.

Lets see if Nagy can control his ego enough to hire a good O coordinator and let him run the offense. It would actually be a smart move for him because he could distance himself from any bad play next year instead of having everyone focusing on his play calling.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Bears picks are set. They will have the 43rd and 50th picks in the 2020 draft. After that, no picks until the 4th-5th round. They should get a compensatory pick for Adrian Amos. Probably a 4th rounder which would give them 8 picks total.

Opponents for 2020 are set, too.

Next season, the Bears will host:
  • Packers
  • Lions
  • Vikings
  • Buccaneers
  • Saints
  • Giants
  • Colts
  • Texans
They will visit:
  • Packers
  • Lions
  • Vikings
  • Falcons
  • Panthers
  • Rams
  • Jaguars
  • Titans

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
IMO, the Bears have little choice other than to list Trubisky as their QB for next year. How about they spend big and grab Winston? That's the kind of choice they have if they don't use Trubisky. Draft a QB in the 2nd, pay for a questionable veteran or use Trubisky.

I'm as disappointed in him as you guys are but there isn't an easy answer. Maybe, if the Bears use free agency and the draft to fix the O line, he might do better? I think the O line was more of a problem than Trubisky was.

Notice they haven't commented on picking up his 5th year option yet. IIRC, they have until May to decide. I'd bet they're looking for alternatives. Hopefully they have some kind of plan.

The best answer I can think of is signing some good O coordinator who also can evaluate draft talent. He takes over play calling from Nagy and convinces Pace that players X,Y and Z will fix the line. They do and Trubisky settles down with time to throw. Will this happen? Probably not but it's a better answer than dumping a QB who would be instantly signed by another team. IF Trubisky bombs next year, the Bears have a first round pick in 2021 and could make a move then. Next year is make or break for Trubisky and, maybe, Nagy and Pace.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I'm hoping for at least 1 more '85 team in my lifetime. I look at the Niners and think that's what the Bears could have been. Let's see what they do in the off season. If they don't do anything with the O line, next year will be more of the same. We need guys who can run block. Protect the QB for more than 2 seconds. Our O line is an overpaid failure and that's on Pace, Nagy and Hiestand.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info