No hero's the next 2 weeks, prepare for weather!!!!

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area
I'm not directing this at those of you who work outside all day in this shit, I get it from your perspective... I'm shocked at the pussification of the general public. We've had it easy the past few winters. Being a little older, I remember '79 (as a kid, the blizzard and the cold after that), '85, as well many winters in the mid-90's where we'd go a week or two where the high temps would never get above 0*.

Now every body has all these advanced materials in their clothing, AWD vehicles with fancy forms of traction/stability/ABS, with heated seats, heated steering wheels, heated windshield wipers, yada, yada and you'd think this is the end of the world.

My problem is I have to take my gloves off and that's brutal.
I can keep them on for the actual splicing, but when you are inside the amp/node you can't get the tiny little pins in correctly with big thick gloves.
I have arthritis, so my joints are painful in cold with gloves on, without it's horrible.
I try to wear women gloves, but I usually split them apart, so you have to buy several pairs to get through each day.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Again, you guys that have to work outside in this shit, I completely feel for you..

It's the rest of the pansies out there that remote start their vehicle from their office so that it's somewhat hospitable when they get out there with heated seats, steering wheel, etc, then complain to royal high heaven to walk from the office to it for 2 minutes...

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Again, you guys that have to work outside in this shit, I completely feel for you..

It's the rest of the pansies out there that remote start their vehicle from their office so that it's somewhat hospitable when they get out there with heated seats, steering wheel, etc, then complain to royal high heaven to walk from the office to it for 2 minutes...
Were you stalking me leaving work today?

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
I'm not directing this at those of you who work outside all day in this shit, I get it from your perspective... I'm shocked at the pussification of the general public. We've had it easy the past few winters. Being a little older, I remember '79 (as a kid, the blizzard and the cold after that), '85, as well many winters in the mid-90's where we'd go a week or two where the high temps would never get above 0*.

Now every body has all these advanced materials in their clothing, AWD vehicles with fancy forms of traction/stability/ABS, with heated seats, heated steering wheels, heated windshield wipers, yada, yada and you'd think this is the end of the world.

79 I was 5 and got lost in a 6’ high snow drift while walking to school. Today that would be considered child abuse/endangerment.
I have super advanced materials in my clothing and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Duluth fleece lined firehose pants. Underarmour and Duluth literally save my life and for the longest time I couldn’t justify spending the money on them, now I won’t go without them.
I haz AWD, heated seats, heated steering wheel and all the electronic nannies. Other than the AWD and stabilitrac I honestly couldn’t tell you if the other stuff even works anymore. Heated seats cooks my butt and the heated steering wheel gets way too hot, I know the rear and passenger heated seats work and my wife loves them.

My problem is I have to take my gloves off and that's brutal.
I can keep them on for the actual splicing, but when you are inside the amp/node you can't get the tiny little pins in correctly with big thick gloves.
I have arthritis, so my joints are painful in cold with gloves on, without it's horrible.
I try to wear women gloves, but I usually split them apart, so you have to buy several pairs to get through each day.

Splicing? Amp/node? What do you do?
Try something like these, I wear these all day and I’m good down to single digits and you can pick up loose change off the ground with them.
https://www.superiorglove.com/en/emerald-cx-cut-resistant-kevlar-steel-winter-glove-with-pvc-palm

I tell people that unless they’re planning on moving their office outside they need to shut up about the weather. I had someone complain to me about how hot it was in their office while I was putting an ointment on my face to keep the scarring from frostbite to a minimum. It’s a huge deal to them because it’s happening to them and it’s a “look at me” moment but most office workers seem to look down on people that work outside or get dirty for a living and don’t realize that without us those peoples lives literally cease to exist. We’re the “uneducated gorillas who made bad choices and if we had a brain we’d have better jobs” (actual quote from someone that was talking to me that I informed them of my psychology degree and 2 AS degrees in political science and criminal justice). It makes people feel good to think they’re better than others and when people listen to their “plight” it’s giving them attention or vindication for their pathetic mundane lives. Hot, cold, dirty, dangerous, smelly or near death experiences I go home happy knowing I accomplished something and I get paid pretty well to do it. But I do laugh pretty damn hard when something goes “drastically” wrong like they have to knock the snow off their car or their remote start isn’t working and it’s like the end of the world. I know a lot of people like that and I just can’t tolerate their pettiness, they usually get a “Welp, you might as well tweet about it then end your life Princess. It’s all downhill after your car won’t start!”

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I thought you knew, I own a contracting company that installs & upgrades amps & nodes for comcast.
I posted about being down doing disaster relief rebuild in the Panama City.

Thanks, I'll grab a pair and see how it goes, those tiny pads, EQ & CS's are impossible to balance with gloves on that actually do anything.

IMG_20181127_130757 by J L, on Flickr

IMG_20181127_175222 by J L, on Flickr

JBL installing LE by J L, on Flickr

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I dont work in an office, but I dont work outside either. We work in a warehouse and deal with things inside and outside of it. We have trucks coming in around the clock, and open one of those doors, your face starts hurting. Even when it is docked and locked in.

So while you might not know how people survive now cause they did back in the 70s when some of us werent thought of yet, remember there are not just office and grunts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info