No hero's the next 2 weeks, prepare for weather!!!!

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I cant imagine people who work outside will be called in when it's this cold. Well unless you are on an emergency crew for someone like ComEd.

sure was, and sure did. (non emergency)

The right attire and this weather aint shit.. :s00ls:

yup

Wwwwweeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! Ya bunch a pussies!!!!

8735dc3a5a3c2ec8338a74df1053e9f5.jpg

2 hours straight outside, 1/2 hour warmup break and another 2 hours of work to do. Maybe less if I push my partner out of the way and do the bucket work since I’m literally 10x faster than him. Had to put my phone in the truck to warm up since it got too cold and shut off apparently.

only, what, 4 hours outside?? thats cute :hsughlol: :s00ls:

8 hours here, split down the middle with a 30 minute lunch break, 16 stories up with zero cover on the sides and above. Have the right attire and it isnt bad at all... honestly. (key word "right" attire. I literally had only an undershirt, a long sleeve, and a jacket, covering my upper torso, thats it. Layers != ALWAYS warm. Gotta be smart with WHAT you wear :pedobear::pedobear:

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
sure was, and sure did. (non emergency)

yup

only, what, 4 hours outside?? thats cute :hsughlol: :s00ls:

8 hours here, split down the middle with a 30 minute lunch break, 16 stories up with zero cover on the sides and above. Have the right attire and it isnt bad at all... honestly. (key word "right" attire. I literally had only an undershirt, a long sleeve, and a jacket, covering my upper torso, thats it. Layers != ALWAYS warm. Gotta be smart with WHAT you wear :pedobear::pedobear:

This... Layers FTMFW

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'll be honest, the cold doesn't bother me, what I am more worried about, especially at the second job, is wiping out on black ice, or snow covered ice because of my bad knee.

Two weeks ago, I got out of the van and went right down on black ice. Thankfully I went down in a forward motion, so the leg went the normal direction and I just slammed the knee cap on the blacktop, but any other way, and I probably wouldn't have been walking for a couple days.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Well, that could just be the person too...

Had a girl that I worked with at GE, bone thin (still WOOD've though), and she'd be outside on an 85* day and complain she was cold. On a winter day, she had like 5 space heaters on the floor around her desk.

I told her I needed to "fatten her up."

In more ways than one. :p

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
reread what i said... i said layers DOESNT necessarily mean warmth ;) Its what KIND of layers you use ;)

dude at work had 4 under armors on, long sleeve, hoody, and a jacket and was cold

right, and I'm not the kind of person to wear 6 t-shirts and say "ooooh, layers"

I said "Layers FTMFW" because I've been wearing a wicking layer, then T-shirt/jeans over that and following with coat appropriate for temperatures and sometimes bib snowpants if temps see fit (like right now)

I also tend to sometimes wear thermals between the wicking layer and jeans...

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
We used to drill in single digit and sub zero weather. It sucks but we did. It's hard on our equipment and us. Now that all of us at work are older and a bit smarter now. We just tell our boss to call us all off. Sure we don't get payed to sit at home. But at least I'm warm and comfortable at home until it warms up a bit. I was going to have a nice 10 day weekend during this cold spell. But now I have to drill an 80' hole inside a building. So I'll be warm at work for two days.

Be safe out there.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin

Unfortunately :(
I'm supposed to wear 2 but they bang together when I walk.

Put it inside the pant leg or you’re doing more harm than good. Pinching/bunching the material between your leg and the brace can cause nerve damage, can restrict blood flow and cause blood clots. I got lectured by a surgeon about having my brace above my pants after a night in the ER from wearing my brace above my pants. They said it doesn’t happen often but once was more than enough for me, that was excruciating pain. If you have anything under a brace for comfort it should be a sleeve that won’t collect or bunch up.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Yep - I now wear a winter coat, hat / gloves, hiking boots (business casual clothes for work) and keep a snow suit, wool socks, hiking boots, shovel in the car.

However, going back in time, my 1980s high school self would be wearing a sweatshirt, jeans, black Reebok high tops w/ no fucks given or any winter preparation. Jean jacket would be worn if below zero degrees.

So, question is, am I smarter now in my 40s yrs of age for bundling up / being prepared or a pussy.... hahahahah

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Thanks, good information.
My issue was I was too fat, and it didn't fit under my pants.
In the summer it gets all wet & slimy.
My Doctor told me to take it off when driving and sitting at my desk.

It was going to be fixed a few years ago, but when they thought I was dying, the VA didn't want to waste the money and canceled the surgery.
Which I would have made the same call!!!
Since then I've had rotating Doctors when you never see the same guy twice, stuff falls through the cracks.
Then I un-retired and don't have time to be down long enough to replace them.

So I just do what I can, it's only a 6, so it's not debilitating like some people live with.
I don't even take the strong pills they give me, you get used to it I guess.

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
Saw a kid walking to school today in shorts and a hooded sweatshirt...smoking a cig....LOL!!!!!!!

yeah i saw some dickfor get off the bus the other day in the snow storm in flip flops.

the fuck? how do you wake up and think, "today is a fine day to walk to school in shorts" ????

too many tide pods.

You don’t have teenagers in your house huh? Kids have no common sense.

In my experience, its a 50/50 mix of the kid being a moron and both the parent and the kid being morons...

The weatherman on the news can tell you "wear clothes because frostbite can occur in as little as ten minutes in this weather" and some parents are like "ehh, whatever let them wear what they want..."

And the rest of the time it's "put some fucking clothes on! Don't tell me to eat a bag of dicks!"

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area
In my experience, its a 50/50 mix of the kid being a moron and both the parent and the kid being morons...

The weatherman on the news can tell you "wear clothes because frostbite can occur in as little as ten minutes in this weather"

and some parents are like "ehh, whatever let them wear what they want..."

And the rest of the time it's "put some fucking clothes on! Don't tell me to eat a bag of dicks!"

Maybe because my parents were both POS, or because I was military,
but I always thought it was idiotic to let kids learn the hard way!!!
I didn't need to try it 1st to know sticking my hand in a fire was a bad idea.

Our job is to prepare them for adulthood, so they would thrive & not starve to death!!!
I have no idea when parents decided they should be their kids buddy, one of the group???
That was the beginning of the down fall, right along with no score, every one wins a trophy!!!!
IDIOTIC!!!!
Success, failure are not evil. Ruining your kid is what's evil!!!!

Every one knows right from wrong, correct or stupid from a young age.
It's frigging cold out, you don't wear shorts, if anything, wear something over your shorts if you are such a fashion icon, and can't let your followers down :rollpicard:

Yes I wear flip flops every day, but if I'm going to work, track, business meeting what ever I wear or bring the appropriate footwear!!!!
I will not freeze to death shoveling the porch for a few minutes, or die from climbing a ladder to change a light bulb.

It's just a little thing to remember my wife a little each day.
A few minutes of seeing her scolding me again for being a dumbass.
Like buying a new dry erase board for the shop so nobody can accidentally erase the last few notes she left me.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Maybe because my parents were both POS, or because I was military,
but I always thought it was idiotic to let kids learn the hard way!!!
I didn't need to try it 1st to know sticking my hand in a fire was a bad idea.

Our job is to prepare them for adulthood, so they would thrive & not starve to death!!!
I have no idea when parents decided they should be their kids buddy, one of the group???
That was the beginning of the down fall, right along with no score, every one wins a trophy!!!!
IDIOTIC!!!!
Success, failure are not evil. Ruining your kid is what's evil!!!!

Every one knows right from wrong, correct or stupid from a young age.
It's frigging cold out, you don't wear shorts, if anything, wear something over your shorts if you are such a fashion icon, and can't let your followers down :rollpicard:

Yes I wear flip flops every day, but if I'm going to work, track, business meeting what ever I wear or bring the appropriate footwear!!!!
I will not freeze to death shoveling the porch for a few minutes, or die from climbing a ladder to change a light bulb.

It's just a little thing to remember my wife a little each day.
A few minutes of seeing her scolding me again for being a dumbass.
Like buying a new dry erase board for the shop so nobody can accidentally erase the last few notes she left me.

I tell all my kids before they go out...but it's a fight everytime. The problem is that none of them has ever been in an emergency situation. That'll convince them

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Either way, I'm ready for this crap. I just replaced my battery a few weeks ago, and put it on a trickle charge...so at 2:30am when I'm leaving work it'll start. Blanket in the car, new set of tires, at least 3/4 tank of gas,and a set of jumper cables to help out the younger fools I work with.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info