⚡ EV Move Over Tesla: Rivian R1T Electric Pickup

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Yup, range isn't everything. Efficiency is still a big factor and determines how much juice you use per mile - battery efficiency also affects how fast you can charge. The Jaguar I-Pace, for example, is horribly inefficient and EPA rated to use 44 kWh per 100 miles, versus a Model Y long range AWD at 27 kWh every 100 miles.

Reactions: RedBeard

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Yup, range isn't everything. Efficiency is still a big factor and determines how much juice you use per mile - battery efficiency also affects how fast you can charge. The Jaguar I-Pace, for example, is horribly inefficient and EPA rated to use 44 kWh per 100 miles, versus a Model Y long range AWD at 27 kWh every 100 miles.

And the inconsistency that people talk about the efficiency is also a problem. For example you could have miles per gallon equivalency, kilowatt hours per hundred miles, or watt hours per mile.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I believe there is a Rivian event this weekend down in Normal. Can sign up for a slot to test drive one. Invitational only. The guy I went to Atlanta with for the first reveal let me know, but I declined.
I got an invite to drive a R1S but I have no idea how I would make the time to take that trip

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Can you attach panels and charge it at all?

Even if it takes days..... if you are camping for a week or two, it would be cool to get some power back just by slapping on a set of panels you keep in the bed of the truck.
I don’t see why that wouldn’t be technically possible. Just a practical issue. Panels are large and bulky. Keep in mind the batteries in rivians are huge. Like 130-150kwh. That’s enough to power an entire house for several days. Better solution would be to just charge it up at the entrance to a camping site. That way you can power anything you want and still have 200+ miles of range on the vehicle

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I don’t see why that wouldn’t be technically possible. Just a practical issue. Panels are large and bulky. Keep in mind the batteries in rivians are huge. Like 130-150kwh. That’s enough to power an entire house for several days. Better solution would be to just charge it up at the entrance to a camping site. That way you can power anything you want and still have 200+ miles of range on the vehicle
For sure, this wouldnt be like "camping site" setups. this is like "I brought an electric vehicle to the middle of bummfuck nowhere, lets charge this bitch a bit" scenario.

Like an option to have a hood/roof/bed made of panels with a cover over the bed ones to use as normal storage when not charging. Panels are big, but nowadays they dont have to be big bulky square panels, they can be shaped. Charging all the time until full.

IDK maybe they did the numbers and found it to be unfeasable, but it would be great for prototype and marketing.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
For sure, this wouldnt be like "camping site" setups. this is like "I brought an electric vehicle to the middle of bummfuck nowhere, lets charge this bitch a bit" scenario.

Like an option to have a hood/roof/bed made of panels with a cover over the bed ones to use as normal storage when not charging. Panels are big, but nowadays they dont have to be big bulky square panels, they can be shaped. Charging all the time until full.

IDK maybe they did the numbers and found it to be unfeasable, but it would be great for prototype and marketing.
Haven’t watched this but maybe it has some useful info.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

This is the work of people who live the life they’re trying to sell you. I am already predicting a Rivian x Patagonia special edition, like the kind Ford did with Eddie Bauer back in the day. (Rose Marcario, the former chief executive officer of Patagonia, is a Rivian board member.)

I drove the R1T 200 highway miles round trip (periodically switching driving duties with another journalist) between Breckenridge and Denver, so I can attest that the R1T is quick—very quick. Its 800-plus horsepower and 900 pound-feet of torque from four electric motors easily pushed it to 100 mph as I glided past RVs lumbering down Loveland Pass. And that’s plenty of power for hauling—more than the F150 and its peers. Rivian says it will hit 60 mph in 3 seconds; it certainly felt so. Top speed will be electronically limited to 110 mph.

My longest day over nine hours of driving saw the battery go from 215 miles to 89 miles of range. Towing another vehicle would, of course, have depleted the range far more (up to 50%) as would wheel size, which range from 20 to 22 inches and can deplete range an additional 15%. Using DC fast charging, you can add 140 miles of range in 20 minutes, Rivian says. It will take hours to recharge fully.

Unfortunately, as with several other absent applications, including the basic and essential hill-descent control, the truck lacked the ability to monitor actual battery life usage in real time on my trip. “No yet,” was the refrain from Rivian engineers when asked. Rivian offers neither Apple CarPlay nor Samsung connectivity.

Such applications as adaptive cruise control and highway assist required a car restart before they’d work properly. The Highway Assist was so sensitive about navigating gentle corners and speed that it works only if you’re going in a straight line or under the speed limit.

The custom Pirelli Scorpion All-Terrain tires also fared poorly. I got a flat cruising at 8 mph down an easy, straight grade when a small, sharp rock punctured the sidewall. Using the spare tire ($600 to $800, depending on wheel size) hidden in the truck bed, and aided by two Rivian employees, the switch took all of 10 minutes, but I wish Rivian had put as much thought into its antiquated, flimsy tire jack as it had the modern camp kitchen. Made from thin metal and a plastic, frisbee-type base, the apparatus would have been familiar to my grandfather.

It was after the flat that my windows started to fidget; the rubber lining inside had curled up improperly and was blocking them from rolling. I eventually could get them up in fits and starts, but not before poofs of fine dust coated the cabin. The windshield wipers in the Rivian truck ahead of me went on the fritz, erratically jerking while team members tried to remove a Go-Pro before it got knocked off.

Reactions: v6buicks

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
75k.

no carplay/android auto.

and the battery life monitor doesn't update in real time

giphy.gif

Reactions: v6buicks
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info