⚡ EV Move Over Tesla: Rivian R1T Electric Pickup

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
In which you can go to a gas station and be back on the road in 5 minutes or less. No so much for an EV.
Or in the Rivian, you can go to a fast charger and get 140 miles in 20 mins. It's really not a huge deal. My F150 is less than 3 years old and has 85k miles. I can count on ONE finger the times I've driven over 300 miles in one day.

Fact is, these Rivians will be perfectly fine for 95% of the public and what they need a truck to do. And besides the refuel, it will do literally everything better than any other truck around.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Or in the Rivian, you can go to a fast charger and get 140 miles in 20 mins. It's really not a huge deal. My F150 is less than 3 years old and has 85k miles. I can count on ONE finger the times I've driven over 300 miles in one day.

Fact is, these Rivians will be perfectly fine for 95% of the public and what they need a truck to do. And besides the refuel, it will do literally everything better than any other truck around.
I don't speak on behalf of the public. I only speak on behalf of myself which is why I find it humorous at how defensive you all get when I state my opinions.

I don't live in a city. When I'm taking my cars to any of the annual events or shop appointments its over 200 miles one way. You'll have that when you drive nichey stuff. I'm also finding it pretty uncommon to see chargers anywhere that would that I would find it the most necessary (truck stops/rest stops/ect.) I don't know for sure that it wouldn't work, but I wouldn't feel very good about towing a car with an electric truck through OH or KY. Useful to someone else isn't necessarily useful to me.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
When I saw these (R1S, R1T) during their reveal in Atlanta (2019?) I really wanted to like it. But the minuscule bed was such a deal killer. Sure they can tow a lot (very limited range), and have a huge payload capacity, but you can't even fit a bicycle in the back unless you stand it up on its end.

Reactions: v6buicks

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
I don't speak on behalf of the public. I only speak on behalf of myself which is why I find it humorous at how defensive you all get when I state my opinions.

I don't live in a city. When I'm taking my cars to any of the annual events or shop appointments its over 200 miles one way. You'll have that when you drive nichey stuff. I'm also finding it pretty uncommon to see chargers anywhere that would that I would find it the most necessary (truck stops/rest stops/ect.) I don't know for sure that it wouldn't work, but I wouldn't feel very good about towing a car with an electric truck through OH or KY. Useful to someone else isn't necessarily useful to me.
Hence the 95% part. You are in the absolute minority of people that this truck wont work for, and that's fine. I'd set my F150 on fire to get one of these...lol

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
When I saw these (R1S, R1T) during their reveal in Atlanta (2019?) I really wanted to like it. But the minuscule bed was such a deal killer. Sure they can tow a lot (very limited range), and have a huge payload capacity, but you can't even fit a bicycle in the back unless you stand it up on its end.
I don't think I noticed that it was that small. I think I was more interested in the SUV version before I saw the range spec anyway. Despite looking like a tadpole, I think it's a pretty nice looking vehicle.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I don't think I noticed that it was that small. I think I was more interested in the SUV version before I saw the range spec anyway. Despite looking like a tadpole, I think it's a pretty nice looking vehicle.
Yeah, the pickup's box dimensions are really really small. With the tailgate down I wouldn't be able to put any of my toys in the back (track bike, ATV, cruiser). IIRC it's like 4 1/2' with the tailgate up.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
The only problem I am seeing with trucks and towing etc are the chargers. My critique includes Tesla as well. Nearly all the chargers are setup so you back your vehicle up to them in a parking space. Get out and plug in. However if your towing something that’s not possible unless you unhitch….. or your a huge dick and block a bunch of chargers sideways.

This is one oversight I actually think Tesla missed as well.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yeah, the pickup's box dimensions are really really small. With the tailgate down I wouldn't be able to put any of my toys in the back (track bike, ATV, cruiser). IIRC it's like 4 1/2' with the tailgate up.

It all depends on intended uses. Someone with a motorcycle or ATV might not buy one as they won't fit them in the bed. Or possibly even with the tailgate down.

But plenty of people never use the whole bed, load capacity, or max tow rating. Plenty of people own Honda Ridgeline and Jeep Gladiators. Or SUV that would trade into something with a small bed. I think there is a market for a pickup that isn't a monster. I doubt many people looking to buy this would use it as a work-style truck. It'll be more of a lifestyle-use vehicle. Maybe one day they will offer one with a larger bed. My guess would be thay make this version, then the SUV, and stop there. But we will have to wait and see.

The only problem I am seeing with trucks and towing etc are the chargers. My critique includes Tesla as well. Nearly all the chargers are setup so you back your vehicle up to them in a parking space. Get out and plug in. However if your towing something that’s not possible unless you unhitch….. or your a huge dick and block a bunch of chargers sideways.

No extension cord available for a situation like that?

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
Just an FYI, the 315 mile is their standard pack. Rivian will also offer a 180kWh Max Pack that will be over 400+ miles of range. It has not been officially tested by the EPA so they haven't released the numbers yet.

I know this doesn't help the towing guys. If they can get close to 450 miles, that would be good enough for me as I am just usually hauling cargo and I am definitely missing my truck lately.

What I don't like about Rivian is their constant marketing push for off-roading. Its like Tesla with their self driving. Most people don't opt in for the Full Self driving yet its constantly discussed and pushed by Tesla.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Just an FYI, the 315 mile is their standard pack. Rivian will also offer a 180kWh Max Pack that will be over 400+ miles of range. It has not been officially tested by the EPA so they haven't released the numbers yet.

I know this doesn't help the towing guys. If they can get close to 450 miles, that would be good enough for me as I am just usually hauling cargo and I am definitely missing my truck lately.

What I don't like about Rivian is their constant marketing push for off-roading. Its like Tesla with their self driving. Most people don't opt in for the Full Self driving yet its constantly discussed and pushed by Tesla.

right, those pics of the trucks THAT extreme offroad like 99% of dudes with fullsize trucks ain't doin that

neat thhough

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

can't you pull in forward?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
can't you pull in forward?

It’s a parking space. 1 the cord isn’t long enough esp for cars with the charge point in the rear of the vehicle, and 2 you would be blocking the driving lane with your trailer.

Photo for reference

IMG_2011.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It’s a parking space. 1 the cord isn’t long enough esp for cars with the charge point in the rear of the vehicle, and 2 you would be blocking the driving lane with your trailer.

Photo for reference

View attachment 99982

I didn't know how deep the spots were or that the lanes worked that direction orrrrr that the chargers were in the back of all these trucks that barely exist yet.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
It would be perfect if gas stations installed charging stations along the outside perimeter of the property. Plenty of room for a trailer and a captive audience to sell overpriced soda and snacks in exchange for letting them use a dirty bathroom
Gas stations will put in charging stations as soon as they can charge per kwh. It's coming.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Gas stations will put in charging stations as soon as they can charge per kwh. It's coming.

It's already here. Fast-chargers charge per kWh and can make a fast-charge-fill-up convenient, but costly considering the home charging alternative. They're still not "fast" though, compared with filling up with gasoline. Electrify America is .43 per kWh if you're not a member, and Tesla Supercharging around here is $.31. Looking through receipts, my last Model Y fill-up with Supercharging was $15 for 49 kWh, which was probably good for 200 miles or so. That shakes out to the cost of roughly a 40-mpg car. But the Model Y is extremely efficient compared with non-Tesla EVs so the cost would be higher with something else at an EA station, for example.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
But the Model Y is extremely efficient compared with non-Tesla EVs so the cost would be higher with something else at an EA station, for example.

this is a point lost on many people. The taycan (just an example, not picking on it) for example can theoretically charge at 350kw but it has such low efficiency that even though it can charge faster than a tesla, the amount of range for a given amount of charge time is lower.

this is really going to show up in the big EV trucks like a hummer and the cybertruck. They may have a lot of range and be able to charge at a high peak rate, but have massive 150+kWh batteries to fill so range/min will always be lower than a car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info