🔧 BUILD More VAG content - 2017 GTI

General Information

Hey, so my GTP has been a money pit lately and I got tired of working on it and throwing money away. I threw the towel in when it broke a rear brake line and the shop said it needs all new brake and fuel lines, at the cost of $1700. I've been without a car for close to a month now while I was shopping. Originally wanted a Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate, but it's been a struggle to find a nice one optioned the way I want anywhere in the US. At the advice of members here in my thread I posted a few weeks ago, I started looking into the GTI. I drove one and loved it, so I bought it.

Without further ado, here's my Tornado Red 2017 GTI Sport with the performance package and manual trans. More pics to come once I get it cleaned up and detailed.

20200719_121005.jpg

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Got the car back to GRD yesterday and had the tune flashed in. Went with the 93 octane front wheel drive map, which has a less aggressive boost ramp, and goddamn it pulls nice. Once I get a clutch in the car I'll go back and switch to the all wheel drive map and the more aggressive ramp.

I also foumd out that the car was already tuned with APR stage 1 tune by the previous owner. I had a feeling it ran just a little bit better than a stock GTI should.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Didn't take long to get my first kill. Drove to the gym today. On the way home a young dude in a newer Infiniti sedan was making lane changes and it was obvious he was coming form me. I was cruising along in 3rd at like 40 when he pulled up and rev-matched a few downshifts. The DTR is a bit laggy, but I stayed in 3rd instead of downshifting and stole the hit. We were dead even, door to door, and I looked over and saw the kid grinning...until my boost came in. His jaw dropped as I pulled away like he was sitting still.

I think I made the right decision and love this car even more.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Didn't take long to get my first kill. Drove to the gym today. On the way home a young dude in a newer Infiniti sedan was making lane changes and it was obvious he was coming form me. I was cruising along in 3rd at like 40 when he pulled up and rev-matched a few downshifts. The DTR is a bit laggy, but I stayed in 3rd instead of downshifting and stole the hit. We were dead even, door to door, and I looked over and saw the kid grinning...until my boost came in. His jaw dropped as I pulled away like he was sitting still.

I think I made the right decision and love this car even more.
Shoulda hit 2nd and had full boost the whole time!

Reactions: Aron

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
So the other day I came home from the gym, and when I shut the car off, I heard this noise. It's coming from under the car, behind the engine. Kinda even with the front seats, which is where I believe the resonator sits on the downpipe. (Video won't load, so imagine the crackling of hot oil from a deef fryer).

Car doesn't always make the noise, only hear it after ripping on it. Oil a d coolant te.ps are notmal, no leaks. My theory is that there's a bunch of oil trapped in the resonator still, and it only gets hot enough to do this when I rip on it and get the downpipe good and hot. I consulted with Everett and he agreed, and suggested I get a downpipe to eliminate the resonator. So I did, got an ARM catless dp on the way.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
So the other day I came home from the gym, and when I shut the car off, I heard this noise. It's coming from under the car, behind the engine. Kinda even with the front seats, which is where I believe the resonator sits on the downpipe. (Video won't load, so imagine the crackling of hot oil from a deef fryer).

Car doesn't always make the noise, only hear it after ripping on it. Oil a d coolant te.ps are notmal, no leaks. My theory is that there's a bunch of oil trapped in the resonator still, and it only gets hot enough to do this when I rip on it and get the downpipe good and hot. I consulted with Everett and he agreed, and suggested I get a downpipe to eliminate the resonator. So I did, got an ARM catless dp on the way.
Just going to rock the APR tune with catless downpipe?

Reactions: Aron

Thread Info