🔧 BUILD More VAG content - 2017 GTI

General Information

Hey, so my GTP has been a money pit lately and I got tired of working on it and throwing money away. I threw the towel in when it broke a rear brake line and the shop said it needs all new brake and fuel lines, at the cost of $1700. I've been without a car for close to a month now while I was shopping. Originally wanted a Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate, but it's been a struggle to find a nice one optioned the way I want anywhere in the US. At the advice of members here in my thread I posted a few weeks ago, I started looking into the GTI. I drove one and loved it, so I bought it.

Without further ado, here's my Tornado Red 2017 GTI Sport with the performance package and manual trans. More pics to come once I get it cleaned up and detailed.

20200719_121005.jpg

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Trying to understand the concern, Alex has decades of experience with turbos cutting loose and the impact it causes to motors.

Him, along with other mechanics, asking questions and being willing to look at test results / evidence / pics, whatever may help lead to a quicker, less expensive outcome.

But, if the second opinion is not being asked, then understood.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
is that official or your "butt dyno" assumption?
I personally checked things out once I got the car home. There are no noises coming from the bottom end indicating that the rotating assembly is damaged. I pulled the plugs and coils, and while I didn't do a compression test, there are no signs of lost compression in any cylinders while turning it over. Yes I changed the oil and thought I saw flakes, but did you not see the torn up compressor wheel?

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Trying to understand the concern, Alex has decades of experience with turbos cutting loose and the impact it causes to motors.

Him, along with other mechanics, asking questions and being willing to look at test results / evidence / pics, whatever may help lead to a quicker, less expensive outcome.

But, if the second opinion is not being asked, then understood.
If they're so concerned about the job, by all means they can pay for it. As the actual customer here, I am satisfied that he is doing the job properly. The turbo has to be swapped anyway, right? Everett is not some backwoods hack wrench that goes into a job blind, he is a VW tech. If I wasn't confident in his abilities, believe me my car wouldn't be there.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Maybe I worded my post wrong when I said he has to have the new turbo on to check the engine out. What he actually said was once the new turbo was on he would give the engine a full health check and go from there.

But as I said, compression is fine and there is no bottom end noise. Coolant is full and not contaminated, as was the oil (though I did burn off 2 quarts when the failure occurred).

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
If they're so concerned about the job, by all means they can pay for it. As the actual customer here, I am satisfied that he is doing the job properly. The turbo has to be swapped anyway, right? Everett is not some backwoods hack wrench that goes into a job blind, he is a VW tech. If I wasn't confident in his abilities, believe me my car wouldn't be there.

And the outcome appears promising, though the vast majority of TCG threads involving automotive issues welcomes feedback / insight from those experienced or who work in the industry.

This thread didn’t state anything to the contrary, let alone it was for status updates only. Hence, the natural reaction would be for those experienced to ask questions / offer insight that lends to assisting you.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
And the outcome appears promising, though the vast majority of TCG threads involving automotive issues welcomes feedback / insight from those experienced or who work in the industry.

This thread didn’t state anything to the contrary, let alone it was for status updates only. Hence, the natural reaction would be for those experienced to ask questions / offer insight that lends to assisting you.
Oh My God Omg GIF by Apple TV+

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Am I inexperienced? Do I not know a thing or two myself? If I needed or wanted opinions (or in ths case criticism) I would have asked for it.

I read it as Alex offering assistance and not criticizing, which naturally occurs in most TCG auto issue threads.

Sounds like you are back on the road and in good shape which was the desired outcome everyone was looking for.

Thread Info