🔧 BUILD More VAG content - 2017 GTI

General Information

Hey, so my GTP has been a money pit lately and I got tired of working on it and throwing money away. I threw the towel in when it broke a rear brake line and the shop said it needs all new brake and fuel lines, at the cost of $1700. I've been without a car for close to a month now while I was shopping. Originally wanted a Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate, but it's been a struggle to find a nice one optioned the way I want anywhere in the US. At the advice of members here in my thread I posted a few weeks ago, I started looking into the GTI. I drove one and loved it, so I bought it.

Without further ado, here's my Tornado Red 2017 GTI Sport with the performance package and manual trans. More pics to come once I get it cleaned up and detailed.

20200719_121005.jpg

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
I took advantage of the nice weather last weekend and installed the ARM catless downpipe. Was rough getting the stock one out, but now that I've done it it's not that bad. The bolts for the OEM band clamp that connects the DP to the catback were rusty so I had to break both off. I figured no big deal, and got a new clamp from Auto Zone. Finished it up and went out for beers. 15 miles later, the exhaust came apart at that connection. Got up the next morning, jacked the car up and put it back together, 2 miles later it comes apart again. I made a post on a FB page, and everybody was like gotta use the OEM clamp. I couldn't imagine it made that much difference, but I went to my local Ace Hardware and got new carriage bolts and nuts for the OEM clamp. I'll be damned if it's not holding together now. How aggravating that was.

As for my impressions, I will say that I wanted a little more exhaust note, and the combination of catless DP and the stock catback is perfect. Sounds good but isn't excessively loud and obnoxious, and zero drone at 60mph. In fact there's almost no exhaust noise in 5th and 6th gear at normal speeds. I used an angled O2 sensor spacer and haven't gotten a CEL, so that's nice. The turbo definitely likes the freer flowing pipe as well, and spools much quicker. My clutch doesn't like that so much though. Gonna have to get that changed very soon.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Where did you get a ticket?
LaSalle County. I was out by Starved Rock late one Sunday night. Deputy said I was in his lane as I was coming around a tight right hand curve. Wrote me for Improper Lane Usage, no front plate, and uninsured motor vehicle. I have insurance, just got locked out of my State Farm app so I couldn't show proof. Here's the kicker...I was recording video when I got pulled over and have proof that I was never in his lane. All tickets should get dropped.

Reactions: Spivitz

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
LaSalle County. I was out by Starved Rock late one Sunday night. Deputy said I was in his lane as I was coming around a tight right hand curve. Wrote me for Improper Lane Usage, no front plate, and uninsured motor vehicle. I have insurance, just got locked out of my State Farm app so I couldn't show proof. Here's the kicker...I was recording video when I got pulled over and have proof that I was never in his lane. All tickets should get dropped.
#1 reason I avoid that area, four wheels or two. This TCG mini tour in April is going to be a test to see if we can be good enough around that area to not all go to jail. It’s a weekend, so I expect there will be too much traffic for any shenanigans.

Teege24 Teege24 take note…

• Wow
Reactions: Teege24

Teege24

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
Aug 14, 2011
Cary
#1 reason I avoid that area, four wheels or two. This TCG mini tour in April is going to be a test to see if we can be good enough around that area to not all go to jail. It’s a weekend, so I expect there will be too much traffic for any shenanigans.

Teege24 Teege24 take note…
Definitely noted!

I'm sure we'll be okay! 🤞

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Yep, and besides the video I have showing I never crossed the lines, that is going to be my defense. Despite showing no aggressive behavior or showing cause for officer safety concern, he asked me to step out of the car, which I complied with. He never patted me down or anything, so he was looking for probable cause for a DUI. Fact is, without already establishing PC, or there being an officer safty concern, he cannot ask me out of the car, as it's now prolonged the detention beyond the scope of what the stop was for, as he had me stand there for a few minutes, when it was cold and I was wearing a tshirt, then told me to get back in the car. Removing me from the vehicle was not pertinent to any of the citations I received, so that turned this into a pretextual traffic stop, where he was looking for more to charge me with. Piece of shit deputy.

Thread Info