Loud Ticking!!!!

-=SVT=-

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have had a ticking coming from the motor and its getting louder.:eek: I put my ear by my car and it sounds like it is coming from the eaton. I thought it was from one of the heads but i place it at the supercharger every time.:dunno: I should check the oil in the eaton. What is your guys input on this?

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Reaction score
The famous head tick or time for a new short block..

blubyu

Reaction score
Remove the belt and start her up to confirm.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Take a long screwdriver, put the metal end against the Eaton and the other end against your ear. Works like a stethoscope. I'd bet it's your blower bearings going.

jaykruger

Juiced, ported and blown
Reaction score
It may also be that the clearance on the rotors has been screwd up or the bearings, take the belt off the blower then you can spin the blower by hand slowly to see if it grinds or binds up at all. if so I think steggy rebuilds them pretty cheap under 300 or so.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Reaction score
Like the others said take the belt off and that will tell all... Remember sound travels like crazy through these motors. I thought I had a head tick, changed the lifters and its still there. Rod bearing(s) :crying:

-=SVT=-

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys I will try that as soon as i get home. I will post what happend after i do it.

Dewalt03cobra

Dewalt03Cobra
Reaction score
Could also be the plastic coupling between the nose and rotor gears. Once the belt is off, gently spin the pulley back and forth and see how much slop there is before you feel it spin the rotors. I just put a new coupling in mine and there is no slop what so ever, and the old one had a lot.

-=SVT=-

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have not done it yet. i will do it today some time and will give an answer

-=SVT=-

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well i took the belt off and i still heard the ticking. I have no idea what it is! The car runs fine.:dunno:

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
Me too, but right now it comes and goes. It's annoying.

cobraj

Reaction score
SVT, how many miles are on your car???

cobraj

Reaction score
Did you recently do any high speed runs or change to a different type of oil.

-=SVT=-

Gold Member
Reaction score
Did you recently do any high speed runs or change to a different type of oil.
No high speed over 120mph and that was a while ago. I did change to royal purple. But that was a while ago. My buddys said it sounds as loud as before, maybe i am worring myself.

cobraj

Reaction score
Ive heard of guys switching to something other than Mobil 1 and getting a ticking sound???

-=SVT=-

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ive heard of guys switching to something other than Mobil 1 and getting a ticking sound???
I have heard something like that too, but I had the tick before I changed oils. The car runs great so I dont think its all that big of a deal yet. It just bugs the shit out of me!!!!!:mad:

04suprchrgd

Reaction score
I had the same noise car ran the same but the noise is very aggravating and ended up needing a new motor.

Since 1964

Reaction score
You might still qualify for an 80/20 warranty deal if you can get a mod friendly dealer to honor it. I got mine fixed that way, where I paid 20% and the dealer picked up the rest. I think it's 5 years 50m miles? Not sure.

I was over my 36 months, but NOT 36M miles. I don't remember, but I hope it's available for you.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Reaction score
Sounds like the head tick, the car will run fine just tick.

The engine needs to be removed to pull the heads (per ford) but you can remove the heads w/ stock heads bolts NOT STUDS!

Updated heads are around $1500 a pair w/o core charge

Head gaskets are $100 per side

APR studs are $250 a pair...

Plus labor

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom