🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Mainly because of the mulching. The dual blade system on the Honda’s really mulch the grass much better than the Toro. I will miss the time saved by the Toro but in the long run the lawn will look better with the Honda. Plus the Honda will last 20 years.

That makes sense. Most of the lawn You tubers I watch side discharge with the time master because it doesn’t mulch that great.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Those wild violets (purple flowers) are tough to kill too. If it’s that bad you could always roundup the whole lawn, scalp the shit out of it, and then seed again. Kind of a lot of work. I want to redo my entire front yard but have too much stuff going on in back to tackle both at the same time.

Reactions: m_dogg

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil

?? My neighbors yard is littered with dandelions and it's starting to creep into mine. Anywho, so I come home one day my fiancee goes you know those white things in the yard you blow... I stopped her and said you blew dandelion seeds all over the yard?! Yeah.. she didn't know what they were so my daughter and her were out there blowing a bunch around ?‍♂️

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Seriously is it that hard to avoid dandelions though? I put down step one in the early spring and that takes care of 99% of them. Then I just spot spray any others that pop up with spectracide and they are dead in a day or 2. And my neighbors lawn is mostly weeds so it’s not like I don’t have them blowing in my yard

Reactions: Aircal

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I’m not sure if this is good or not but I have not seen any weeds this year in my yard and I usually pick them by hand. I’ve been mixing in my spreader
Milorganite
Weed and feed Left over from last year it’s either menards or from blains farm fleet cheap brand.
Scott’s turf builder all mixed in the spreader

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
The only real problem is that if you like the results you have no idea what the blend is :rofl:. I’m using a synthetic fertilizer with bio solids mixed in and it sounds like that’s essentially what you’ve blended up plus some weed and feed. This video goes way more in depth than anyone probably cares to go, but sheds some scientific light on why milorganite shouldn’t be the only product you use throughout the year.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The Echo I have (SRM225) has the SpeedFeed head which you just insert the amount of line you want through the holes head, then twist it until it's all pulled in. It's really painless. No dissassembly, spools to mess with or anything.

6f59fb27-bdf5-4cc1-b70f-47709ec26608_1.1bd2c87281218055a8a8f0b5b72ed70c.jpeg

The downside is, if you're trimming over uneven area, say a rock filled area, as the trimmer bounces around, it's constantly feeding new line, wasting it...

I also don't use the Echo "Cross-Fire" line anymore. Nothing was wrong with it, but I found this stuff at Home Depot that is a line with a protective wrap around it. BFD, right, but this line is like a hot knife through butter, last longer than due to that additional wrap, but the big thing is my speed in trimming. I can fly down the fenceline with this stuff. The Echo line needed more time to cut.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Also, Weiss hit up both houses this week;

Step 3: Late Spring Performer Plus Weed Control
-Organic Based Fertilizer 25-0-5
-40%XCU 40% Biosolid/2fe, 2.8lbs applied per 1000 square feet
-Weed Control Liquid Application Escalade 2
-Manufacturer Nufarm US
*.75 ounces per thousand square feet, ai%: 2,4-D - 39.53%, Fluroxypyr - 5.90%, Dicamba 4.10%

Reactions: Blood on Blood

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Yea, They're all plastic now-a-days. They'll break/crack after a season or two of usage anyway. That is unless you're popping for some commercial grade one

Go to Russo or a similar commercial landscape distributor when they have an auction and buy a good commercial spreader for $80 or so because they are insanely expensive new. Heavy duty composite or stainless hoppers, sealed gear systems with grease fittings, foam filled tires with grease-able bearings... some of ours we’ve been using for 5+ years regularly and they saw at least that commercially prior to our use.

E81CA842-064D-4F70-9A67-C5EA8A3A6FC1.png

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Totally understandable lol. I bought mine for like $80 at an auction years ago and it’s still mint. I grease it every spring. I’ve even been bad about leaving it outside for extended periods.

If you search for them on marketplace sometimes you get lucky with one that somehow ended up with a random person that doesn’t know their cost.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I’ve got my new grasshopper really dialed in now. New gator blades installed and deck height set at 3”. Did a service on it at the same time. I’ll still probably end up selling it but for the time being it is a pleasure to use.

Don’t mind the lawn. Work in progress after 5+ years of neglect and our current drought.

50E10807-6E35-4C3F-AB6C-821FE7CEB58E.jpeg

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I’ve got my new grasshopper really dialed in now. New gator blades installed and deck height set at 3”. Did a service on it at the same time. I’ll still probably end up selling it but for the time being it is a pleasure to use.

Don’t mind the lawn. Work in progress after 5+ years of neglect and our current drought.

View attachment 90303

how big is the lot?

Thread Info