🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I hate that. You can drive through my neighborhood and most lawns are very nice, but then you come across a yard that's 95% dandelions and looks worse than this:
IMG_2020.jpg

It just makes the neighborhood look like a ghetto.

Once the weeds get that bad, I assume the lawn is pretty much screwed.

Looks like my next door neighbor’s except add in some green / brown patches of grass

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Swapped out the Craftsman multi-purpose blade for the Oregon gator blade on the mower.

So far I like it, will see how the longevity goes.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
A lot of hippie types are all about the weedy lawn. It’s better for bees than having a “mono culture” of grass. What cracks me up is they all act like they’re out there making teas and salves out of these dandelion leaves, when in reality they just don’t give a shit about their lawn and want to find a trendy way to shit on people who do.

I may start spraying a foot strip of my neighbors yard that’s on the other side of my driveway so I’m not just edging weeds. It’s just a who’s who of weeds over there. Clover, dandelions, creeping Charlie, plantains, crabgrass, etc.

Reactions: Aircal

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
A lot of hippie types are all about the weedy lawn. It’s better for bees than having a “mono culture” of grass. What cracks me up is they all act like they’re out there making teas and salves out of these dandelion leaves, when in reality they just don’t give a shit about their lawn and want to find a trendy way to shit on people who do.

I may start spraying a foot strip of my neighbors yard that’s on the other side of my driveway so I’m not just edging weeds. It’s just a who’s who of weeds over there. Clover, dandelions, creeping Charlie, plantains, crabgrass, etc.

Sorry for the 1 - 2 foot strip Bob, my spreader does have a good throw capability

• Haha
Reactions: DanJ

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
So, I walk out to the garage and the wife has the mower out and says she wants to mow the lawn. So I'm like, "no I'm going to do it, why do you want to do it anyway"? She says "because you don't do it right". What? I don't do it right? Explain. "Well you just don't do it right". Of course she can't explain it because it's complete nonsense. She's the one that doesn't do it right, not to mention it takes her almost triple the amount of time.

This is how I do it:
1620577086935.png

And this is how she does it:
1620577412239.png

How many of you let your wife mow the lawn?

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
So, I walk out to the garage and the wife has the mower out and says she wants to mow the lawn. So I'm like, "no I'm going to do it, why do you want to do it anyway"? She says "because you don't do it right". What? I don't do it right? Explain. "Well you just don't do it right". Of course she can't explain it because it's complete nonsense. She's the one that doesn't do it right, not to mention it takes her almost triple the amount of time.

This is how I do it:
View attachment 88828

And this is how she does it:
View attachment 88829

How many of you let your wife mow the lawn?

She clearly wasn’t raised right. My brother and I weren’t allowed to cut the grass until we were like 16-18 because we wouldn’t cut straight lines.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Swapped out the Craftsman multi-purpose blade for the Oregon gator blade on the mower.

I have them on my tractor (2, 21" blades for 42") and they actually cut really nice, but have to work hard when under heavy grass.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL

I run the Gator G5's on my 22hp Deere, they are far more resilient than the OEM blades and mulch better IMO. I'll be sticking with them.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Well I fucked up. Waited way too long to mow the lawn (lots of shit going on lately) and forgot to raise the mower to my “summer height”. I probably cut more than half the length of my grass. Luckily I realized my mistake right away so I was able to grab the bag and get the clippings. I like this height for spring, but when the grass gets as long as I had it, you need to work down to that height. I wasn’t thinking and now I have the ugly splotches. I guess I’ll just have to milo the shit out of it to darken it up and pray for some rain to get it growing like crazy again. I guess the upside is the grass is healthy, just aesthetically unpleasant and it’ll fix itself quickly

TLDR: My ugly splotches.

F4245C57-CA5D-4F6B-9528-E714C1C1FA7E.jpeg

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
YouTube the double dark mix. Green county fertilizer makes a 7-0-0 called Greene effect that’s 6% iron, and a product called microgreene that’s another 3% iron that has a bunch of micronutrients your lawn needs. So about $60 and I’ll be able to feed micronutrients and darken my ~4500 square feet for 2 years. Going to try it 3-4 days before Memorial Day and see how it goes.

Reactions: Stink Star

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Remember, you should just be trimming it. Not scalping it.

I think there is sufficient height in both of your pictures.
Oh I usually mow every 3-4 days, basically just to put the lines back in the lawn. I just had a shit ton of stuff going on so I wasn’t able to get to it for over a week. Usually in that case I’d set the deck high and just trim it but my mind was elsewhere and I started mowing on a low setting. Hence the splotchy appearance.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Suggestions on a good weed blocker.
Wifes flower/rose garden out front gets overrun by weeds and some grass every year. I wanna pull all the mulch out and lay down new weed blocker, followed by new mulch.

I've had good luck with Preen. But you've got to put it down before the weeds start (obviously).

Thread Info