EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

giphy.gif

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
Can you guys post pics of your TVs. Entertainment systems? Just want to see how high on the wall. They are. I think there's a thread. I cant find it.
I dont want it too high. and I'm sure you have like a nice cabinet below it for the cable box, xbox console, etc...

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Every time I get the urge to by a new TV because of these threads. I wind up thinking. I'd rather put the money in to my car as I dont watch much TV, lol. Pretty much watch sports and the news at night. No need for anything bigger or better than my 55"

I grew up with a 13’ black and white tv in my room any TV works for me after that. Mook has a good tv thread and any tv from Costco will work for you Marko Marko. Shit Walmart had a 65 tcl for under $500 that’s deal.

Reactions: Marko

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Can you guys post pics of your TVs. Entertainment systems? Just want to see how high on the wall. They are. I think there's a thread. I cant find it.
I dont want it too high. and I'm sure you have like a nice cabinet below it for the cable box, xbox console, etc...

I'll snap a pic of mine later on. I'm in dire need of an updated stand and cable management but it will give you an idea at least.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I like LG tv's as I've had good luck in terms of longevity. My 47" 1080 LG is still rocking in our guest bedroom and it's 10 years old.

I bought a new LG for our family room last winter. 65" and 4K is all I needed. You'll get a lot of opinions on TV's of what's good, what's worth the extra price. For me, I chose a decent TV for the price at the time. I feel like when you buy a TV, it's already obsolete. For example, 8K is out there and rapidly dropping in price. It's going to take another 2-3 years for them to drop down more to be relatively affordable and maybe by then there will be content available.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Every time I get the urge to by a new TV because of these threads. I wind up thinking. I'd rather put the money in to my car as I dont watch much TV, lol. Pretty much watch sports and the news at night. No need for anything bigger or better than my 55"

I'm going to be in the market soon. My 46" Sony has been running great, but its a touch undersized for my room and only 1080.

Going to need a 55" OLED 4K TV for sure. I think a 65" would be just too much TV for the size of my living room.

Didn't some company just start coming out with a more budget friendly OLED set?

Mook Mook, are there any drawbacks to OLED with gaming? I don't play that often, usually 4-5 hours a night, once a week or so.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I like LG tv's as I've had good luck in terms of longevity. My 47" 1080 LG is still rocking in our guest bedroom and it's 10 years old.

I bought a new LG for our family room last winter. 65" and 4K is all I needed. You'll get a lot of opinions on TV's of what's good, what's worth the extra price. For me, I chose a decent TV for the price at the time. I feel like when you buy a TV, it's already obsolete. For example, 8K is out there and rapidly dropping in price. It's going to take another 2-3 years for them to drop down more to be relatively affordable and maybe by then there will be content available.

8k is a worse gimmick than 4k was when it first launched. Literally NOTHING supports 8k and who gives a shit about upscaling....the average consumer cant even tell the different between 1080 and 4k (mostly b/c of viewing distance). The biggest jump in the TV world was introducing HDR and Dolby Vision.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I'm going to be in the market soon. My 46" Sony has been running great, but its a touch undersized for my room and only 1080.

Going to need a 55" OLED 4K TV for sure. I think a 65" would be just too much TV for the size of my living room.

Didn't some company just start coming out with a more budget friendly OLED set?

Mook Mook, are there any drawbacks to OLED with gaming? I don't play that often, usually 4-5 hours a night, once a week or so.
While OLED is the pinnacle of tv tech, it definitely has drawbacks and Ive experienced them all. My biggest gripes is vertical banding (which all tvs have to an extent but OLEDs seem to suffer the worst). Vertical banding is essentially long rectangular strips that will faintly show up on grey and black pictures, mostly while the screen is in motion / panning (here is an example on my model tv). Before you immediately swear off OLEDs, I make it sound far worse than it is, and I'm not really sure if its gotten better or worse on the newest OLEDs (I would assume better?). I only really notice it on certain levels of grey OR very very rarely on games (Sea of Thieves is the main one for me).

The second issue that everyone yells about is burn-in, but burn in is the wrong word. You're looking at image retention. Now, yes burn-in can and does happen, but you have to leave something static on the screen A LOT over the course of countless hours of viewing. This typically happens when watching tv a ton and you get the network icon in the corner or something. Image retention is temporary and usually clears up pretty fast. You'll mostly notice it if you leave a menu or the Xbox dashboard static for a few minutes. When you switch to something else, you might see ghosting for a few seconds before it goes away. I typically only really notice this is the tv is sitting paused on HDR or Dolby Vision content. Honestly, if youre mindful of just not leaving shit stay on you screen static for hours on end, you'll be fine. Most everything (w/ the exception of consoles) engages a screensavser after a brief period of time so I wouldnt worry much about it.

I have just about 5,000 hours of power on time for my OLED and thats a mix of Netflix, tv, Xbox and PS4 and aside from some banding, the rest of the picture is pristine. Well, thats not true, I do have a slight yellow tint on the far left edge that you only notice on pure white, but that was an issue with the 2017 TVs iirc. I'm really the only one that notices, b/c I'm crazy about details like that.

If you want the best, LG OLEDs deliver. Keep in mind that Vizio is introducing OLEDs this year (dunno if its an LG panel) and TCL is introducing mini-led I believe that should deliver a pretty awesome picture too.

Reactions: FESTER665

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The same could have been been said about 4K as 2-3 years ago there was virtually no content available in 4K. Now there's a ton.

What I've read is a big drawback of 8K is the massive amount of data it uses for streaming.

Is Dolby vision that big of a jump over HDR? To me, the 4K content in HDR on my TV looks amazing.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The same could have been been said about 4K as 2-3 years ago there was virtually no content available in 4K. Now there's a ton.

What I've read is a big drawback of 8K is the massive amount of data it uses for streaming.

Is Dolby vision that big of a jump over HDR? To me, the 4K content in HDR on my TV looks amazing.
8k is a gimmick, period. There is barely support for 4k outside of streaming services. Cable doesnt support it, still barely supports 1080. But pretty much everything in 2020 is introducing 8k, so you're kind of stuck.

I find that DV produces a better picture than HDR10, especially when it comes to brightness. You also get more colors, etc. The biggest drawback to DV used to be limited content that used it but pretty much EVERYTHING Netflix does now is in DV. Amazon I still think sticks with HDR.

Will the average consumer notice the difference? Maybe. If I was in the market for a tv today, I would definitely buy something that supported DV over just HDR.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Quick Google if you want to read and learn more.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info