• 🚨 TCG is experiencing a case of the Sundays. Working on a getting things running faster again. - Mook

đź’¬ OT Help me decide - Truck edition

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Looking for a truck to replace the impala daily driver. I drive less than 6k a year nowadays and no longer need to take clients out for work. So gas mileage and fancy shit no longer matter. I'd like a truck for the utility aspect, won't be trailering things just cargo in the bed. Can't tell you how many times I've rented a truck or borrowed a family members truck just to haul something that won't fit in the wife's suv.

I'm looking for 2016-2022 models
60k miles or less
crew cab
4wd
and a sunroof/moonroof as it's a core requirement (wife insists)
Only looking at trucks from the big 3.

I like the looks for the Ford, but hard to find a v8 option. Nothing wrong with the turbo 6 but to me that's just something more to go wrong with the truck. Plus I don't like the thought of the aluminum bodies. My wife bangs her car door off my car constantly and hell just this weekend someone drove over my lawn and scraped the side of her car. Steel cars I can fix pretty easily but aluminum just makes it that much harder and more expensive. The aluminum or the turbo six aren't killing it for me but these are the two biggest negatives for me.

Dodge's are just dodges, I don't find many of them good looking at they seem very plain jane especially the interiors. They are also the cheapest and seem to have the lowest resale. My brother has loved both his 1500's and now his 2500 and keeps pushing me to just buy one but of the big 3 these are the least exciting for me.

Chevy/GMC biggest negative to me here is most of the them are rust buckets or will soon be rust buckets. I do like the chevy app for starting the car or lock/unlocking the doors. That little mobile app will be the hardest thing to give up.

I'm mainly looking for advice on quality, problematic issues with them to help me make up my mind. Not looking for a ford vs chevy vs dodge debate just honest feedback from those who have had them.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Tundra, Tacoma or Ridgeline… and how can we forget the previous generations of the Ranger / Explorer Sport Trac

Leonardo Dicaprio Kinda GIF

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Agree on Hemi, TT3.5, and Chevy V8 problems.

I'm guessing a Ford 2.7 turbo F-150 doesn't sit well with you? They have fewer issues with the powertrain and still make plenty of power. The Fords ride super nice too. I felt like I was just driving a car when I was driving my buddy's XLT. One should be well within your price range.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Agree on Hemi, TT3.5, and Chevy V8 problems.

I'm guessing a Ford 2.7 turbo F-150 doesn't sit well with you? They have fewer issues with the powertrain and still make plenty of power. They're super nice to drive too. I felt like I was just driving a car.
see, I have no idea haven't kept up with all the newer model drivetrains/vehicles. I honestly thought all the F150's were either 3.5, 3.5 turbo or 5.0 liter. Where does the 2.7 fit in?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
see, I have no idea haven't kept up with all the newer model drivetrains/vehicles. I honestly thought all the F150's were either 3.5, 3.5 turbo or 5.0 liter. Where does the 2.7 fit in?
I'm not exactly "up" on it either to be honest. The 2.7 is still an Ecoboost V6 for the cheaper trucks. I don't even remember what likes to pop on the 3.5. The 2.7 supposedly doesn't do it which is why my shop teacher/mechanic friend specifically sought his out. I'm just taking his word for it as I wasn't interested enough to research it.

Thread Info