🔧 BUILD Ford truck 460

General Information

Poor decisions arr my stock and trade as many of yew know.

I've had it just as long as the Cressida.... used it to flat tow the wagon back from El cajon California up Route 66.

Colorado Ranch truck for the first part of its life only ever seeing shade underneath a tree.
I picked it up from the third owner in trade for a bunch of work on getting an 91 f150 roadworthy to take over hauling garbage to the dump.

I've been collecting crap for this thing forever since before I left California where I snagged all of the Driveline and suspension from a 79 F350 that I really wish I had been able to tow back here with me.....
That gave me one ton disc brake front ttb suspension... with fresh kingpins as well as a 3.55 Dana 60 for the rear with 1 ton Springs all around to replace the 3.73 Dana 60 in it.

Some years ago I scored a pull out from an '89 f super duty, a 460efi with the oil to air cooler and a ZF5 speed trans.

I have the harness but no computer but I figure I'll just run it on a 3800 PCM so that I can make plenty of power.

Anyways on to the photographic story....beginning with where its been staining the driveway rust red....

20221029_155829.jpg

I did have it running and I got it to move a couple of feet before it stalled and would not start without fuel being sprayed in the carb.
Either the brand new old fuel pump is dead or the carb is plugged.
Either way the 390 Fe is going to the side of the road if no one wants it.

20221030_165651.jpg

20221029_201816.jpg

It's about time I got around to this thing.

With a tailwind I was able to get 8 miles per gallon with the 2bbl 390fe, except for when I was coming down the mountain on Highway 8 out of California where I managed to get 20 miles per gallon cuz I left the engine off for a really long time.

With the overdrive gear and the taller rear end I know I should be able to do 12 to 16 like most 88-95 F-superduty's can do....

One thing I learned while I was in California is that the 460 guys would kill power to the four injectors on the bank without the oxygen sensor when they were on the highway for better fuel economy.... at which point you're driving on a 3.8 L 4 cylinder lol

At that point I think I should be able to at least eke out 18 miles per gallon.... with a Tailwind

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
More reasons not to let yer schtuff sit.
Splines rusted, blasted hub, broken carbide and triangle files for input rust removal.

That's what I get for not fogging oil.
Found the starter from the junkyard, spare battery fully charged! Drain trans ATF and worry about oddities running g it through the gears.
Try finding type h atf. Oh yeah fiber synchros.
Mercon2, or synthetic atf.
I have most of a qt of amsoil atf, 1 qt vintage dexron2, 2 new qts synthetic from oreallys.
Ready to add oils and install clutch.
Machine alignment tool.

Check disc on splines...ah fuck.

Well NOW I should be mating em :rofl:

20231115_234444.jpg

Anyone use this before? Pb blaster surface shield?
Gonna spray down Cressida, the whole fucking car, figure I need 6 more cans.

I will then drive through winter with et streets and skinny all seasons with a 4.10 open diff.

fuckit
20231115_234612.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Or let water drain into it through the torn shifter boot....since 2 grocery bags didn't last 20 years.

Luckily the shifter nub socket caught what little did.
I gotta grind off someone's shifter welding job so I can graft m7 np435 shifter onto the 89 ford serrated stub
Guts look clean.
20231120_233709.jpg

20231120_233716.jpg

Next up, Starter, then start er?
20231120_233657.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
soon

Yeah I know it's slow even with the plugs out, I wish I knew if the starter was fine... but to do that....I'd grab my meter....

9 volt dieded in my dvom, can't find my dwell/voltmeter. Found out my 50 amp charger isn't charging, just humming, backup sears roebuck charger to the rescue at 6 amps after the digital charger told me to go fly a kite.

Fuck if this thing ain't fighting me the whole way.

Button up my efi to carb plates and drop on the 2 bbl. Yank the tfi, prime, drop in points dizzy, rig up fireball, and probably have the starter self immolate right when I need it to start.

Probably the wrong starter anyways

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Fucking 6 amp tractor supply charger is the only good charger I've ever had. My last Schumacher didn't last a year, bought one of the "good" es5000 jump packs, worked once and now it says full charge and drops to nothing as soon as it's hooked up.

Shitty little 6 or 800 some amp china jump pack with a flashlight in it saves my ass alot and if that doesn't work I'll get pissed and use an M18 battery although i wouldnt recommend it.

Thread Info