Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
they just seem like a pita to put a car on, other than that their cool

If you are, like me, going to be stripping your floors and coating them, they are worth every penny.

I've got some rust, and spots that I want to repair, and then recoat/paint the entire floor. Sure, its never going to be a show worthy floor, but it'll fix the rust thats there, and prevent future rust from coming in for a while.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Well that is badass. First, awesome dog man! Those look really solid though, nice work. I don't think it would be possible to break those with the weight of a sports car (well maybe the new Camaros :rofl: ). The idea of having more surface contact with the stands is comforting to me. I always feel like I am walking with death every time I am under my car on jack stands.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Jackstands are pretty damn cheap.....and they come taller then those. Just sayin'

I'm not saying Jackstands are better but to say they're worse then these is comical.

I can guarantee any set of jackstands that you buy that provides the stability, piece of mind, and lift height comprable to these will cost way more. I have less than $40 into these. Like 3rdgen said these sit on the wheels and get way higher than my Craftsman 3-1/2 ton jackstands could ever get.

they just seem like a pita to put a car on, other than that their cool

How so? I put the car up by myself in about 15 minutes. I am not sure how that equates to being a pain in the ass. If you wanted to put the car up that high on jackstands you would still need to step it up.

If you are, like me, going to be stripping your floors and coating them, they are worth every penny.

I've got some rust, and spots that I want to repair, and then recoat/paint the entire floor. Sure, its never going to be a show worthy floor, but it'll fix the rust thats there, and prevent future rust from coming in for a while.

These would be great for not chewing up some epoxied floors.

Well that is badass. First, awesome dog man! Those look really solid though, nice work. I don't think it would be possible to break those with the weight of a sports car (well maybe the new Camaros :rofl: ). The idea of having more surface contact with the stands is comforting to me. I always feel like I am walking with death every time I am under my car on jack stands.

Thanks, she is a great dog :bigthumb: There are no way these things are breaking under the weight of the car. I am not sure of the total weight they could hold, but I am really not worried. Definitely gives me piece of mind being under the car with these vs jackstands.

I'm sold. I'm going to build a set for my next project at the new house, they look fantastic!

Thanks guys!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
So what do you need to work on that all 4 wheels are still on but the whole car needs to be off the ground? How many times do you need to pull your trans or swap exhaust parts?

What do you do when you're working on something that requires a wheel taken off?

Legit questions. I'm not saying what you made isn't cool but I just don't know when I'd need my car in that position other then the 2 things I mentioned.

Also my stands were $15 a set at harbor freight and go higher then my craftsman race jack.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
So what do you need to work on that all 4 wheels are still on but the whole car needs to be off the ground? How many times do you need to pull your trans or swap exhaust parts?

What do you do when you're working on something that requires a wheel taken off?

Legit questions. I'm not saying what you made isn't cool but I just don't know when I'd need my car in that position other then the 2 things I mentioned.

Also my stands were $15 a set at harbor freight and go higher then my craftsman race jack.

I would not feel comfortable about being under a car on a pair of Harbor Freight $15 jackstands. What is the weight capacity on those?

You do not have to use these strictly at all times. I think they make a great addition to the garage arsenal. Wherever I can use them in place of jackstands I will. If I need the rear wheels off to drop the rear end and do some suspension work then I will have the front on these while the rear sits on jackstands. If you ever wanted to do some welding and needed the suspension fully loaded these would be great. I want to be able to detail the underside of the car and these make that much easier. I also work on other peoples cars alot and do exhaust/trans stuff. These are not limited to 2 different types of applications.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I have a couple sets of 3 ton ones and a few sets of 6 ton ones. I've owned them for years now with zero failure....kind of hard to fuck up something with 3 parts you're selling to the masses. I bet the safety factor is HUGE and I wouldn't be surprised if they could hold twice that weight.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

Legit questions. I'm not saying what you made isn't cool but I just don't know when I'd need my car in that position other then the 2 things I mentioned..

Motor swaps

Trans swaps

Body panels/body work so you don't have to be hunched over

Gas tanks

brake/fuel lines

Exhaust work

Custom welding/fab work

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I think I want to make a set. They sure would come in handy for pulling a transmission.

What length did you cut your 2 x 4's to make them?

I made these 14" square.

you dont have to make them that tall do you ? it was a bitch jacking my dads vette up on 2 sets of ramps to drop the trans pan.

would you have to use 2 jacks simultaneously ?

You can make these any height you want, I might even make a smaller set height wise to have around.

I put the car up like this in 15 minutes by myself. I jacked the car onto unraised jackstands front first then the back. Then I added a platform I made from 2x4's to the contact plate of the jack and raised the car high enough to get the cribbings under the wheels, front first then the rear.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info