Real Name
Mike
6794400912_8da3700731_b.jpg

6940515015_f02f17c254_b.jpg

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Those look great, literally your cuts are damn near perfect.

Thanks! They are damn near perfect because I cut all the wood on my dad's radial arm saw. I measured 14" from the blade edge and screwed a piece of 2"x4" perpendicular to the fence that way all the cuts were exactly the same. It also made cutting go super fast.

32vMonte

Car is broke
Dec 3, 2008
Thanks! They are damn near perfect because I cut all the wood on my dad's radial arm saw. I measured 14" from the blade edge and screwed a piece of 2"x4" perpendicular to the fence that way all the cuts were exactly the same. It also made cutting go super fast.

I think you answered my question here, but I'll ask any way. How long did you cut the 2x4's and how many 2x4's did you buy?

Thanks

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I just made a set of these and they look very sturdy. They are actually pretty heavy once all screwed together. Will definitely come in handy for pulling a transmission or doing exhaust work. Can't wait to try mine out.

Thanks, will be building these next weekend

Nice!

When flipped over, with the three 2x4's facing up, these make great step stools. When I was installing the CC plates on my car the front end was raised and getting into the engine bay while standing on these was super comfy and sturdy. Versatile pieces for sure.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I agree, basically it is faster loading cribbing. If you have the space they are genius though. He used engineered I-Beams which is totally over kill. You could get by with 2 by 10s which are much cheaper. Compression loads for wood is crazy high.

Wood Strength

Like 4000 PSI for nearly all species. Cars put down what like 35 PSI? The cribbing you have could easily hold much more weight. If you could balance it one could probably handle the entire car.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I agree, basically it is faster loading cribbing. If you have the space they are genius though. He used engineered I-Beams which is totally over kill. You could get by with 2 by 10s which are much cheaper. Compression loads for wood is crazy high.

Wood Strength

Like 4000 PSI for nearly all species. Cars put down what like 35 PSI? The cribbing you have could easily hold much more weight. If you could balance it one could probably handle the entire car.

Yeah those engineered I-Beam floor joists are super expensive, but much much nicer than the standard 2 x10's.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I think the key also is that they are way lighter. This guy was running two for the outside and one down the middle. 3 beams adds quite a bit of weight. You could park just about anything you can drive with a standard driver's license on top of that.

Wow, that is crazy! The only downside to that design would be if there was any lateral movement allowing them to collapse. If they are tied together well then that would not be a problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info