DIY Car Servicing Ramp

I used 4X4 to crib my car when changing my transmission, It was more sturdy than any jack stand. HOWEVER you must use caution when raising or lowering your car.

In the industrial machinery field I have seen machinery riggers move 20,000lb machinery using cheap 2X4s, If you spend some time and think about what your doing there is nothing wrong with using wood. People who use there heads rarely have accidents.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Speaking of which, am I the only one that's terrified of accidentally hitting the ratchet arm on jackstands when there's weight on them? Jack stands scare me.

If the mechanism has been designed correctly when there is a force acting on it it will lock into place and require a significant effort to get the lever to move. More than you would accidentally do if you hit it with a ratchet.

As for wood? Built right it can support the weight of a car. Steel and steel re-inforced concrete can hold more, but for the weight of an average car a wooden dolly could be designed to take the load.

Doesn't anyone remember building the bridges and towers out of balsa wood in Jr High and then having to test them to destruction? The little balsa tower I designed was assembled with nothing more than an exacto knife, elmers wood glue, and 1/8th" balsa wood. It stood less than 5" high by 1" square. But when we tested the darn thing to took almost 120lbs to cause it to collapse. That little balsa tower easily held 80-100lbs. It was only when we went beyond 100lbs that things started to fail. At first a triangular spar broke, and after that the structure became progressively weaker as more broke.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Just finished building mine last night. They feel very sturdy, but I still need to test them out. Will be doing an exhaust swap in the very near future and I will get a review/pictures up of the a car on them.

004-1.jpg

003.jpg

Bottom

005-1.jpg

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
That is high! That will be quite roomy underneath. I want to see the jacking up process.

They measure 12"-1/8" tall, obviously you could have ballparked that with some simple math. My jack has a max lift of 21.5", so my plan is to put it up in 2 steps. Jack the car up onto unraised jackstands front first and then the rears. Then I will put the car up on the cribbings front first and then the rears again. I built a small platform for my jack that connects to the contact plate if it will not reach high enough underneath the car.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Everything is locked together with 2-1/2" coarse thread screws. If you look at the 2nd picture you can see the screw pattern I used, but I alternated the cross pattern every row to eliminate the screws running into eachother and for added strength. The 3rd picture does not show it because that is the bottom, they were all screwed from the top down.

rocco

Addict
Jan 19, 2012
Aurora, IL
It is actually a nice jack. I bought it from Costco for $100. It is a low profile jack as well, the only issue is it weighs a ton!

I have that same jack, Arcan is the brand I believe.

What's your process for jacking the car that high? I know if I jack up the front and put it on jackstands, then start to jack the rear, the jack tends to start pulling the car backwards almost pulling the car off the front jackstands. I usually have to go around the car and jack it up a little at time while raising the jackstands.

I guess what I'm asking is, if you jack up the front and put it on those blocks, then go to the back and jack up the rear, does the jack seem like it doesn't want to roll and tries to pull the front of the car off the blocks? Not sure if that makes sense to you. It seems my jack doesn't want to roll when jacking and instead stays stationary pulling the car, instead of rolling forward as it goes up. And my floor is pretty smooth also.

Beautiful car BTW.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Yeah Arcan is the brand of the jack. I have experience the jack not moving on a very seldom basis. It seems will getting hung up on small debris on the floor or a crack.

This is from above.......They measure 12"-1/8" tall, obviously you could have ballparked that with some simple math. My jack has a max lift of 21.5", so my plan is to put it up in 2 steps. Jack the car up onto unraised jackstands front first and then the rears. Then I will put the car up on the cribbings front first and then the rears again. I built a small platform for my jack that connects to the contact plate if it will not reach high enough underneath the car.

There is no way, that when on the blocks, the front tires will move off because the force of the jack wanting to not move would basically have to be greater than pulling a 3500 lbs car over a 2" x 4".

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
:fy:

My grandparents have a couple vehicle being proped up by wood..........out in the open........................to elements.....................for about 9 months now......................constantly. Nothing has fallen yet and the wood is still in decent shape. I see no issues with Greasy's jenga stands.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
But the jack stands are lifting from the body, or the axle, or some other hard point.

These cribs are lifting from the wheels, which provides more ground clearance.

And also with their wider foot print its harder to tip them over than a jack stand would be. Not saying you can't tip one over, push hard enough and anything can be tipped over.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info