🔧 BUILD CMNT's thing is bigger than yours v. cubic inch displacement

General Information

So... I am finally doing a thing. It's a thing I've been talking about for awhile now. I had held off as working for Sears as I didn't want to spend money on a happy meal, much less any big purchases... Now that I am happilly employed elsewhere I figured it was now time to shit or get off the pot. Anyway, I have been looking for awhile and am currently in the process of buying it.

Ok, so what is it?

3/4 ton, 2003 Suburban LT 4x4, with the ole 496'er and 4.10 gears. It has the normal assortment of dings, a door dent, and normal wear and tear of a 17 y/o GM truck, but what sold it was that all this has less than 100k on the clock and the price was cheap. So I wasted no time getting the dealer on the phone and putting a deposit on it before anyone else could. The problem is... The dealer is out in Utah.

I do have some dealer pics I will post when I get on my other computer, But I am so excited to have another Vortec 8100.

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2790.png

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
If you take apart your cluster, look at the backing on the overlay. It may be blue to begin with. With the kelvin rating of the stock bulbs, and that blue translucent backing, it was the normal white. With these cubes, they had a higher kelvin rating, to that combined with the blue backing, it will become blue'ish.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So yesterday, I finished the truck side of the plow setup (I had to wire in the electrics). Mounted the plow, hooked the electric up, grabbed my controller and happily lifted the plow.

Go to the front of the truck, only to find this...

20201205_144614.jpg

What you're looking at, is that bottom little skid plate for the angling rams (one on each side), is about an inch from the ground. I lost my shit!!! The whole point of getting a 3/4 ton truck was to better support the weight of the plow. The old 'Burb, with it's torsion bars also turned up, I would have about 5" of clearance.

Just slowly going down the alley and around the block at no more than 20 mph, it of course scraped several times.... Grrr...

So last night I ordered buyers bump stops for the front. They're the same as the Timbren's at half the price. Hopefully those should be here by this weekend to install.

However, in the interim, I went on a plow site. Asked this question for other GMT800 owners. and one posted about a pivot plate on the plow itself that needs to be reconfigured... Well, motherfucker, I compare the illustrations in the manual for the pivot plate, to a pic I had of the plow where I could see the pivot plate, sure as shit, it's in configuration 3/4 for taller trucks... I need to flip the plates around and use configuration 1.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
My pivot plates (yellow circles)
Plow standing2.jpg

I need to flip them over (moving them from side to side appropriately...

Funny thing is, that manual I'm looking at, calls for a "stacking stop" be mounted to the A-frame for config 3/4 to keep the plow itself from smacking the lift bar when stacking snow high. I've never had an issue and I've had that thing scaling piled up mountains of snow... :D

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Mother of gawd, these bolts are rusted... Heat, the impact gun, still couldn't bust them loose. I finally ended up snapping 3 of the 4 rear carriage bolts with a 4ft breaker bar. The 4th is just spinning, meaning I rounded the carriage head on the bolt or rounded the hole in the plate (or both). So that fucker is gonna have to be cut/split now.

To get to the forward pivot plate bolts, I gotta take off the stand-feet, which I gaurantee will also be a bolt breaking bonanza.

Plow standing2a.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Fluid film the whole truck and concentrate on the front frame area and you’ll be fine. Plowing without having a salter in back is really no worse than just driving something in the winter IMO.

8 seasons of casual plowing and there wasn’t any crazy rust on my old truck.

View attachment 75975

I never mentioned rust.

That truck has twice the payload capacity and torque of the considered truck. Plowing is the hardest thing you can do to a vehicle... You know it too lol

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Meh, we have 15+ seasons on some of the GMT800 2500HD’s. They plow and salt all winter and do concrete work all summer. Most of them being put out to pasture are due to rust and are still running strong. Been buying high mile ones out of Texas and swapping the truck side stuff over.

That’s a pro plow, they’re not super heavy. The unimount I had on my tahoe weighed as much as that. That truck is more than capable. Only thing he may experience with the trans is the reverse solenoid pin wearing down, and that’s a 3 hour tops $30 fix. And that’ll come after years of abuse.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Plowing is hard on a truck, a lot of it comes down to the driver. If he goes and does his route and takes the plow off next day it’ll be fine. I would always put my plow on the night before a storm and usually take it off a day or two after just because of touch ups if needed.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Meh, we have 15+ seasons on some of the GMT800 2500HD’s. They plow and salt all winter and do concrete work all summer. Most of them being put out to pasture are due to rust and are still running strong. Been buying high mile ones out of Texas and swapping the truck side stuff over.

That’s a pro plow, they’re not super heavy. The unimount I had on my tahoe weighed as much as that. That truck is more than capable. Only thing he may experience with the trans is the reverse solenoid pin wearing down, and that’s a 3 hour tops $30 fix. And that’ll come after years of abuse.

I doubt you guys are plowing with 496 4L80 combos lol

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I had an 8’ unimount on my Tahoe, truck was awesome, just had to put sand bags in the back because of the weight with such a short wheelbase.

Between the plow itself, the 70# conversion bracket to the Ultramount truck side (way cleaner mounts) it was heavy up front but it did OK

You can barely see the mounts in the pic

5FCB8AA7-2CA4-41B6-ABE1-579640C0A627.jpeg

Thread Info